Maternal & Child Community
When do babies start to sit up on there own????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hey ladies I have a quick question. When is it that babies start to sit up on their own? One of my twin girls is starting to sit up for just a couple of minutes on her own, she is 4 1/2 months. But i notice that she goes forward is that normal? Another question, is it to early to put her on  one of those new gadgets that are called Play-Stations? it's like a walker but without the wheels. Thanks ladies!!!!!
Most kids are usually sitting up pretty well by 6 months.  They do start practicing around 4.5-5 months but they're really tipsy for a while.  It helps to put the boppy around them on the floor to give a little support and when they do tip they don't go crashing straight to the floor.

If your daughters enjoy time in the saucers or playstation, then great.  They'll let you know if they're not ready by fussing/crying.  Usually if they're practicing sitting up, then they can entertain themselves for a few minutes in the saucer.  It's not a long time at first though.  You might get 5 minutes before they fuss.  As they get older they like them for longer periods of time.

Hope this helps!
I believe JJety's comment is right on.  I have an 8 month old infant and she too was strong enough to sit up for a couple minutes at a time around 4 1/2 mos.  By 5 mos she had it down pat.  It just takes practice for them to build up the strength in their back.  We bought a jumperoo and an exersaucer (playstation) for our daughter at Christmas time when she was 3 mos, but it was around 4 1/2 to 5 mos, before she could really enjoy it for more than 10 minutes at a time.  Overtime, as she built up her strength she could go fro longer periods.  

I have a 5 1/2 month old Nephew and he's not yet able to sit up, but he can roll like you wouldn't believe!  I think all babies develop at different rates, so if there is someone who's child is not yet albe to sit up, don't fret!  It will all come in time.  
As long as they are sitting well by 8 months, you are in good shape.  One of my twins was delayed with motor skills, and I was told that we didn't need to be too concerned until then. Most sit earlier than that, like you are seeing!

The excersaucers are great, but like others said, probably just for a few minutes at first.  You may want to put a folded blanket behind her while she is in there right now, as she might be a little small for it.  I did that with older DD for a few weeks until she 'got the hang of it'.  Continue to allow the floor time for sitting practice too, as the excersaucer teaches them to stand, not sit.  Good luck!
My son began sitting up at 4 months but I would put a boppy around him just in case he toppled over.  He sat up perfectly by 6 months.
Every baby is different, any where between 6 and 8 months sitting up unaided is the norm, some do it earlier as you have seen!
depends i try it with my son at 6 months and he did it all by himself
so it's normal for babies to lean forward?
Yes, babies may sit up but lean forward and use their hands on the floor for balance to help them get stronger.
ok, thank you
addison turned 7 months friday (waaaahhhh) and is sitting up alone for maybe 10 sec.  she leans forward or will push herself back, she is being stubborn lol.  i think my son sat at 6 months but i cant remember, bad mom!
Sam was terrible at sitting for ages; he wanted too do it but would topple all the time, suddenly at 8 months he was sitting just fine and then crawling within three weeks and cruising about 4 weeks after that but then he didn't walk for another 4 months! He began walking about 8 weeks ago, now he is running and climbing all over the place!
I use a bumbo chair, excusaucer or bobby with my 4 month old. He still leans a lot but is getting the hang of it. If there are any concerns ask the pediatraitions
my daughter was crawling all over before she would sit and I have now idea why and she was crawling at 5 months and walking without hanging on to things at 8 and a months. So every child is different. My granduaghter is 4 and a half months and sitting freely playing with her toys,but has difficulty rolling from her tummy to her back. So dont worry your babies will do things when they are ready.