Maternal & Child Community
When do women start lactating? After pregnancy or during?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

When do women start lactating? After pregnancy or during?

Just wondering!
Related Discussions
17 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Depends... I've heard some women on here talk about their colostrum coming in as early as 20wks.... Then some women don't get anything till after delivery. I'm 25wks and haven't gotten anything. So go figure.
Blank
LOL! I know...I don't have any idea either. This is so embarrassing to talk about, but my boobs seem to have changed the most, even over my stomach line! They are DARK brown (and I'm caucasion) and there's REALLY hard white spots all over my nipples. It looks like I am going to start leaking soon! My friend leaked, but I don't know when. I know it was before she delivered.
Blank
177465_tn?1288242063
I have been since around 16 weeks. Such a pain! lol It will be great once he gets here, but I keep joking that for as much as I leak now I'll probably run out! lol
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
I don't leak, but if I squeeze it's there. I have never leaked until after the baby is born. But my boobs are being taken over by the areolas. Am I abnormal? Seriously...they are HUGE. It's really gross.
Blank
i started getting the white spots around the nipple at about 30 weeks. nothing actually came out, tho, till the baby was born.
Blank
LAst pregnancy, I started get that yellowy dicharge (collostrum, sp?) as early as 5 months. So far, I am 4 months and have only gotten a little, not enough to leak or anything, just a little dried left in my bra...I guess it does depend on the women. W/ My dd, My milk did not come in until the day I came home from the hospital, 2 days after giving birth.
Blank
I am 24 weeks as of now and am leaking a little bit and have been since about 20 weeks or so. one word to the wise... if you are in a couple that foreplay includes nipple play be careful! Your partner can unexpectedly get a taste and Im told its not that great!
Blank
im at 28 weeks & i am able to see milk leakage it's normal... some peoples bodies just wait till after or right before the baby....& anyone who says their nipples have enlarged or changed colors its normal ....its just one of those things that our precious bundles of joy present onto our bodies ...... & for some they stay a darker color or enlarged it's nothing to be ashamed of
Blank
1308335_tn?1273431259
i already have ridiculous large "pepperoni" nipples but yes i can say they've gotten even bigger and i too notice the white spots around my nipple but absolutely no lactating yet. but the other day my breasts starting tingling/hurting so i do believe its a comin! not excited at all. im 8 months and i just now got the swollen feet nightmare, o god. so im assuming from all these other stories that when i come home the hospital all that goodness will pour out.. lol ew
Blank
i have been lactating and i am only 4 days late. i pee like every 30-1hour during he day and mid night. my breast hurt so bad and they leak when i take showers. i feel like i did when i had my daughter they fel huge and look bigger but i am waiting to take a test to see if it is positive, i think i am pregnant but i have never heard of anyone having milkthis early, has anyone else had this happen or heard of it happening?
Blank
1412950_tn?1281909218
@Alynnr, my aunt started lactating very early like you are now.  In fact, it was how she found out she was pregnant with her fourth child before she even thought she was late!  Don't worry, it's normal.
Blank
615752_tn?1361871586
Some women leak during pregnancy. I was like some of the mentioned above, when squeezing colustrum came out but on it's on, I didn't have any milk leakage. It kicked in about 2 days after birth.
Blank
I am not sure if im pregnant or not, but the other night me and my boyfriend were fooling around and something went into his mouth and he asked if i was pregnant. i said no because ive already had my period this month. is it possible im pregnant and lactating early? we had unprotected sex 2 weeks ago and we have been doing that since. im scared...
Blank
2041961_tn?1329941612
My husband and I have only been trying for 2 weeks, and I have started. I didn;t lactate with my son till like 7 or 8 months I believe.
Blank
Yup, been there, I started lactating when I tested negative for pregnancy. I didn't know what was going on and even went to the emergency room!  Also had severe mood swings and started showing early.  Am having ultrasound this week to see how far along I am.
Blank
I m Also having  this problem and i dont know wat to do? my early 2 tests are negative , but i started lacting from 5 days not too much but when i squeeze it  becomes out. and i m just 5 days late. is this pragnancy or something else?
i m scared bc my early 2 test are negative. if someone started lacting its means she is pragnant? it is my first expirience.
kindly someone help me.

Blank
I am also as of right now 5 days away from my missed period. We are trying to get pregnant and noticed I am lactating!! Crazy part is I went to the doctor on day 21 to get levels ran and they said they were that of a non-pregnant women and then this happens!! I'm so ready for day 28 to test as I have tested a little early and the test say no!  Has anyone's levels been low, then lactate like you are pregnant and be pregnant??
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...