When do you set up your baby registry?
I feel kind of selfish asking this, but how early do you set up your registry.  People are already sending us stuff, which I'm very grateful for.  I'm just wondering how early is too early if you already have some things in mind?  BTW, we are not finding out the gender so there's no need for us to wait for that.
I was at the end of my 5 month period when I set up mine.  Because my family lives in another state, and I am no longer permitted to travel mid July, I am actually having my shower next weekend.  I don't deliver until 2nd week September.  As long as everything is going well and there are no complications, I say go for it.   My family was glad I  did it so that I don't get duplicate items and they would rather give me things I want then something useless.
i registered when i was 4 months or so.  Im due August 8th and im pretty sure they are throwing my shower this weekend!!!  Register when ever you want...its so much fun!!!  It gets the whole "im having a baby" excitement going!
i just waited til we heard the heart beat and I was sure I wouldnt miscarry again.  I think we registered around 20 weeks.
I'm in my 4th month now, but I figure if I already know what I want then maybe I should get the ball rolling.
I think my friends are throwing a shower for me in July so I will do that before the shower.  I will be over 20 weeks by then.
Man, I was a slacker with my first two,lol. I didn't register until I was 6 months as both my showers were when I was closer to 8 months  ; ) I say register whenever you feel comfortable, that way if someone asks, you can let them know where you registered. Many, if not all, now have the registries online so people from all over can see them and shop either in store or through the web.

Andi
With the way the stores change their merchandise and add extra styles, seems like almost every week, I recommend waiting until the shower invites are being mailed (typically 4-6 weeks before the shower date) before registering for the bulk of your items.  

If you start to soon, you may end up revising a large portion of your registry.

Have fun!!  Showers are SOOOOO exciting!!!!!
I agree with JJety, I would wait until the month before your shower.  That is what I did.  Things change so much!
Thanks so much for asking this question too, I have been wondering the same thing. I'm 20 weeks and people have been asking me for a while if we are registered yet. We just found out the gender (a little girl) so I guess its ok to register anytime now. THat could give me something to do over my boring weekends. We live very far from both of our families too, but I just found out that my church gives all the pregnant women a shower for their first baby. I must say that taht has really cheered me up, I always thought I'd have my first baby while we lived in the same city as my family, but it just didn't happen. So it is very nice to know that I'll still get a shower.
has anyone heard the old wives tale about not having a second shower with your second. just wondering, my family gave me some grief about that when i got pregnant with my second. i just wondering what to do if we have a third, do i get a shower. my second child is now 6yrs old and my first is eight and i would not have anything saved from when my kids were small. what are yall's thought on this. best wishes to everyone
If a new baby is following far behind the other kids, and your old stuff is gone or outdated, then usually your friends/family do throw you a shower.  We did that for our cousin, who's daughter was 11 years old when my cousin was having her second baby.

But it's like any shower, you can't ask for one and when someone throws you one you can't turn it down, even if it does follow closely behind one you've already had.

I don't see anything wrong with having another shower in your case.  You need stuff!
I am pg with my third, my oldest will be turning 5 about a month after my due date, my second just turned 2. I do not see the need for another shower, unless it is a girl. I have two boys, all my stuff is boy themed, so it would be nice if there was a little celebration for a girl, but if not I wouldn't mind. I figure if I don't have a shower, i will still have a little gathering once i have recovered from the delivery and the baby is settling in for others to be able to see them, no gifts expected : )

Andi
I think every new baby deserves his or her own little celebration!!
This is the 21st century and pretty much anything goes. IF someone wants to throw you a shower, let them. My SIL has a 4 year old girl and still has a lot of baby stuff from her, but she just had another baby girl in Feb and her church had a shower for her and another lady, they were both having their 2nd baby. It was very nice and I'm sure everyone could use new stuff sometimes.
I agree with a previous post taht ettiquite states you shouldn't throw your own shower, but like I said, times are changing and people do all kinds of things now that are different from before.
I may even go out and register this weekend just for the fun of it.
Just wanted to tell all who are planning a baby shower this great idea I had. For my Sister I went out & bought a huge piggy bank, you can get them at craft stores. It had nothing on it. I brought a black perm. marker & had everyone at the shower write a little something for the baby. People started putting change in too. It is something my sister treasures.
I think at my shower which will not be until the Fall that I am going to request everyone write a little something on the back blank pages of my baby journal. A sweet little keepsake for me and the babe.
You could set one up anytime, and just not tell people about it until your ready to or you feel it is appropriate to do so.
This is kind of funny- I actually hate baby showers.  They bore me to tears. Actually, I typically have more fun when they're for the couple, not just the mom.  Anyway, DHs family is asking us 100 questions about what we want and plan on getting so I thought I should start thinking about it.