Maternal & Child Community
When do you start to show?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When do you start to show?

I am 7 weeks pregnant and was just wondering when people typically start to show. This is my first and I have an medium build. My pants are a bit tighter, but I think I'm just bloated and I have been eating tons since I'm so hungary. Anyone have any info?
hello typically you dont show until 3 months of being pregnant. You shouldnt be gaining too much weight yet either most people often loose weight because they just dont feel like eating. hope i helped

god bless
My doc told me, typically on your first, you won't show until at least your 3rd month, if not 4th or 5th, depending on your build.  I am 5 weeks and I've lost 2.5 pounds since I haven't felt like eating as much.  Eventhough you feel like you want to eat all the time, make sure you pick healthy foods, which I'm sure you do.
it varies from woman to woman. i was very thin and showed by my 8th week with DS. it usually takes longer to show with your first and then sooner with subsequent pGs. but too that varies with the height and weight along with body shape of every woman. usually by the 4th month you will definately be showing to some degree. hope this helps.

love....kimmie
I didn't "show" until around week 17-18.  However, my pants fit differently even at just 8 weeks pg.  I went on vacation at 8 weeks pg needed to buy bigger shorts a couple days before we left because all my regular shorts didn't fit.

I had to modify the waistline of my pants by using a hair band and putting it through the button hole and then hooking it around the button.  This gave me a bigger waistline - which I needed quite early on!  However, my co-workers didn't notice my belly until 18 weeks or so.  

So, you're kind of talking about two different things.  1) When you notice you are showing and 2) when others who don't know you are pg notice see you showing.
with my first pregnancy I was 98 pounds when I got pg (also a bit thin)  I didn't show till around 20 some weeks - and then it was the smallest slightes bulge it was unbelievable.  Actually I told my sister I was showing and she said "just your chest"
with this one Itold relatives at 20 weeks in case they could tell - but I could tell at maybe 15 weeks. I am almost there and still look absolutely ridiculous in half of my maternity shirts.  I have been wearing maternity clothes since about week 28
Great question!  I am 13 wks (first pg) and was wondering the same thing.  My clothes fit differently but I am definitely not showing.  I tried on maternity pants this weekend with NO luck.  I'm just not big enough.  I will have to try the hair pin method to get me by until I'm "big enough" for elastic pants!  :)
I know what you mean, I'm bustin' out of these things too. Can't wait to buy a whole new wardrobe!! Most people have told me you'll show around the 4th month. You're addicted to these boards now aren't you!??!!

Hee, Hee....
Depends on how tall you are as well. I never showed until around 20+ weeks and I am five ten. Shorter people pop out sooner.
With my first I was very thin. No one noticed until I was about 16-18 weeks. Now on my 5th pregnancy I am 19 weeks and I have been showing since I was 12 weeks. The first pregnancy your muscles hold it in longer and then in future pregnancies it pops out faster.
I could tell almost immediatly when I found out.  I think it was partially mental (just knowing a baby was in there).  I started wearing maternity pants around 17 weeks, but did pop out and wear full blown maternity clothes until about 20-22 weeks.  Now, by 30 weeks I was really popping out.  People thought I was due anyday from about 32 weeks on.  By the time I had him, my boss was afraid I was going to go into labor at work everyday.
It is so different for everyone. I definitely find that women with long torsos start showing a lot later as the uterus/baby has room to grow upwards. I am short with a very short torso and was completely showing (no disputing that I was pg) and needed maternity clothes by 16 weeks. I am about 8 weeks pg with baby #2 now and I'm already showing a tiny bit.
it's different for every woman. with my first i was 20 weeks til i started showing. with this one, i'm 11 weeks and already in maternity clothes.
i didnt start showing until i was 22 weeks pregnant. then again i had a five pound baby!
i am like 5 weeks pg with the first and for some reason i feel like im starting to show.. im skinny though so it looks like it showed quicker than normal.... or maybe its just my imagine nation.:)
I went from a size 4 to a size 6/8 within a month of being pregnant.  Also my weight went from 118 to 132.  My stomach is huge, so not sure what is going on, everyone else says your not supposed to show until 3 months, but I can't fit into normal  clothes anymore :(  I'm 5'8", and I've been eating healthy as far as I can tell.
i was a med. build to when i had my frist one when i was 5mo. every body kept asking me how over due was i? i was huge i couldnt even do the dishes my belly would hit the sink before my arms. by the time i was 7mo i couldnt get out of bed i could have soren there was at least 6 in there. but with my 2nd people didnt even know i was pragnut till i went in to labor i didnt even really show at all. so it just depends.
Typically you start to show around month four. You may be putting on extra weight and even gaining water wieght but to actually start getting a prego belly usually doesn't happen until the fourth month. Every woman does grow at their own rate though. With my second I started to show pretty early and by the time I was about seven months people kept telling me I looked like I was about to pop. I really thought I would have him early because I was just so big and in the doctors office I actually measured two weeks ahead of schedule but he was only about 5 days early. I have a friend though that doesn't grow at all. at about seven months with her she looked about four months but she has bigger babies then I do.
Yes, its very different for every women. I know typically with each pregnancy you show sooner which is a general truth i think. I am 5'11 and with my first son i didn't show to others until about 18 wks, to myself as far as clothes probably 14. Now i'm currently prego again and i'm 8 weeks and i can already tell. My jeans still fit, but i like stretch jeans so its hard to tell, but i notice in my t-shirts more then anything. I've actually even lost 9 lbs since ive been prego because bad morning (night) sickness but i feel almost bloated all the time. Also it may depend on boy or girl, i've heard with boys it takes longer and you carry more weight out front, with girls its soon and faster and more water gain and hip and butt weight and BREAST are a huge indicator from my experience of a girl...my boobs didn't hurt or grow or nothing til about 28 weeks with my son and mine did this time by 4 weeks. hope that helped.
I didn't really start to show til 5th month. but it's different for everybody.
my daughter is a small person in general.she is 7 and half weeks and she has a small bby bump