Maternal & Child Community
When does HCG show up??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When does HCG show up??

Does your body start producing HCG at fertilization or implantation.  When will HCG enter the blood stream.  The reason I am asking is because I am 7 dpo and at 6dpo I got a 0 for blood HCG.  I want to ride at a horse show this weekend, and I wasn't going to do it because there is a chance I might be pregnant and it is very strenuous.  How accurate is this 0 I got???  I want to ride but not if I could still be pregnant.  I have to go back to the doctor for another test on thursday next week if I don't get my period so that sounds like it could not be accurate.  Any info on this could really help.  Thanks!!
As far as I know, HCG doesn't enter your system until implantation. And it can be in very low amounts at first. I don't know about horse-riding and pregnancy, but by all means you could be pregnant.
If you are used to riding, it won't cause a problem. My best friend has ridden while pg with all three of her children, running events like barrels, flags, team roping, etc. The old adage is "you can't shale a good egg loose" Now as you get further along, docs suggest easing up or quiting riding mostly due to balance issues and worries of falling off.

And to answer your original question, generally the egg will implant anywhere between 6 and 10 after ovulation and hcg starts being produced once implantation occurs. Blood work can detect as early as 6 dpo, but it would not be unusual for it to take longer to pick it up.

Andi
Got a quick question, do you know how long it takes for your HCG to go away after a m/c.  I just had one and me and my BF want to ttc again.  We are not using protection and hoping for the best.  I have heard that you can get pregnant before first af after a m/c.  I was just wondering how long it takes to get out of your system.
A blod test should be able to detect hcg at 8-10 dpo. A pee test is later, at least 12-14 dpo, more for some people. If you are really concerned about it, ask for a blood test the day before, and try to get the results back the same day.
It took me about 3 weeks to get it out of my system.  sometimes it can take even longer though.  Good luck!!
Thank you everyone!!!
i'm in the same boat i spotted reall slightly yesterday 23/02/2010 and im not due on till 2/02/2010 took a test today and negative i've never spotted 1 week beofre period do you think i could be pregnant as im really not sure na dwhen would be best to tst again?
im confused about the hcg levels... is it possible i could come out negative 16 dpo ?? on a urine test.. its only a 6 days passed implantation spotting? plllllease help