Maternal & Child Community
When does a baby drop in susequent pregnancies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello ladies!!

I posted this question in the womens forum, I did get answers, and thank you ladies, but I guess they just weren't the answers I was looking for.

My question was: I heard when you've already had one baby that after that in subsequent pregnancies the baby may not drop until a few days before or even in labor. TI read it was rare for them to drop weeks before hand like they do with the first. Now, I'm pretty sure my princess has dropped, I do know shs'es head down, but she looks lower, I pee much, more and I can breathe easier. Even other ppl say she looks more like shes laying on my lap. So question is, is this in my head? or can this happen? And would the Dr. know i she's dropped. My next appt isnt for a week but I was going to ask. Thanks everyone!!

Baby dust and sticky dust to all!! :)
I was told "dropping" is not really a medical thing.  It's just a term we pregnant women use when the babies head has entered the birth canal.  Some babies are there for months.  Mine has been there since I was about 26 weeks.    
Regardless of the number of pregnancies you've had, I think it still can be days or even weeks and that alone is not a good indicator of when you'll start labor.  It has to be accompanied with the other signs like dialiation and loss of mucus plug, although that doesn't always mean anything either.
If you're doctors appt is next week they will be able to tell you whether or not you're starting to dialiate and of course if you begin to have contractions you know what's next.
Good luck to you.
alot of babies don't drop until shortly before labor begins.   But everyone is different.  My 1st didn't drop until I was in labor.  My 2nd dropped at 32 weeks ( I went into preterm labor several times with him)  I would call and check with your Dr.  He should be able to tell if the baby's head is engaged.
Good luck!
Thank you ladies! Yes, I am totally aware that it dosen't mean that you will go into labor. I am getting induced either way on September 2nd so I'm not in any hurry, just found it odd that they say it dosen't happen in subsequent pregnancies. I've been having contractions down to 4 min apart but then they go away so I know im getting ready :) And also, it's not a term just pregnant woen used, the Dr's will say the baby is "engaged" meaning in our words, he/she has "dropped". And I'm going to ask at my next appt. I'm so curious, I shouldn't read stuff on the internet anyway like the Dr. said but I still continue lol! Thanks  again. And more answers are still welcome :) I will keep checking!!
I don't think that response was to my question , but that's funny, kinda the way I feel now! I'm walking like a duck!! And yes, I'm anxious to see what happens as well. Atleast i know I will be getting induced on the 2nd, she is actually very large is what the Dr's saying so to avoid c-sections, or her having trouble getting out or even stuck I think it's better to induce a week early! But hey, if I go at 38 weeks I will be just as happy lol. And the lightening, I have read on that as well, but it tells me the SAME thing. I just need to quit reading lol! This forum is awesome though, atleast you hear real life experiences rather than text book stuff! Thanks again for all the responses, much appriciated!

God Bless, and baby dust to all TTC'ers And Happy and healthy pregnancies to those ones carrying!!
Just if they drop or if anyone had had one drop in a subsequent pregnancy. The ladies on the other forum said their's dropped early and it was still weeks before labor which I know can happen, but I was wondering if anyone has already had a baby and then been pregnant again and they actually do drop. The material I read said it dosen't usually happen, and I can't really tell if my little one has dropped Im almost sure she has but everything I've read said it probably won't happen until right before labor or during labor because theres not as much work to be done liek there is in a first pregnancy. And I know i'm not going to have her anytime soon lol. Was just curious really, and looking for answers :) I'm getting induced on the 2nd of sept. so im not in a rush to have her or looking for signs or someone to say "yeah she dropped you're gonna go into labor" lol Not at all! I was just pretty sure she had dropped until I read all the stuff I have, now I'm doubting it. And I can't remember in my last pregnancies if they dropped or not.
It may have been in response to your question or it might have been to another poster, but I do definitely remember one funny answer that someone gave that her baby dropped so noticeably that she felt like she was walking around with the baby's head sticking out between her legs.  So anything is possible.  I'll look forward to hearing what happens to you between now and September!  Another term to google or look up in pregnancy books is "lightening," which refers to the baby shifting downwards, and apparently makes you feel like you can breathe again after all the pressure on your lungs.  Good luck!  Annie
You said you hadn't gotten the answers you were looking for.  Out of curiosity, what was the answer that you wanted?  That the baby does or doesn't drop? and earlier or later than in the first pregnancy?
I have three beautiful boys I have given birth to, and I am currently 25 weeks pregnant(hopefully with a girl).  I have had all of my babies "drop" at 21 weeks like clock work funny huh