Maternal & Child Community
When does the baby get in the head down position?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 30W4D and was wondering when babies get in the head down position.  I still have 10 weeks to go, so I am not concerned.  She has plenty of time to flip around yet, but several people have been asking me what her position is.  My midwife hasn't told me or even checked as far as I know.  They also didn't mention it at the 4D u/s about 3 weeks ago.

I am still learning about pregnancy.  Forgive me if my questions are too vague or silly!  I appreciate your help as always.
Oops, I also wanted to add... Is it possible to tell by where the baby is kicking?  I've never been "kicked in the ribs" like so many pregnant ladies complain about.  I usually feel kicks around either side of my belly button.  Does this mean anything?  Thanks!
I too have never been kicked in the ribs like others have.  I do, however, know that my baby is breech - his head is up under my ribs.  When I feel kicks, I feel them down low, very low.  I do feel movement high but it is almost like he is moving a arm or rolling around a bit - I am 35w2d.  I am having a C-Section so it really doesn't matter if he stay breech.  But I'm really not sure when they turn??
I have heard stories of babies turning a week or days before they were born. I'm not sure when they're supposed to be in the head down position, but I am nearly 28 weeks and my guy is still all over the place! I don't even know where he has decided to be this morning, he earlier he was kicking me it the bladder, so he was head up and his head was in my ribs. I get kicks or something wedged up in my ribs all the time! I wonder if it makes a difference if you are tall or short waisted? I am 5'4", but I am more legs and not a lot of room in my mid section. I don't think it's much to worry about if they're not head down yet. I would get nervous though, if by about 35 weeks or so they were still not head down.
Hi.  I'm 34 weeks and my doc said on Monday that my baby is already head down.  I only feel flutter kicks in my ribs ever so often.  Mostly I feel her arms, shoulders, elbows, etc, around my belly button and middle section.  I wouldn't worry about the baby turning.  You have plenty of time!
With # 1 she turned at around 32 weeks.

With # 2 he turned around 36 weeks.

Now at 27 weeks and she is footling breech, but I am not worried....yet....

It sounds like your baby is still sideways.  Your midwife can tell the positions by feeling your uterus.
It depends on baby.  My first one turned back and forth till around 39 weeks.  I even had the Dr. turn him at 36 weeks and he turned breech again.  He finally settled in on his own and I had a vaginal birth.  I'm short too, 5'3" and he was over 10 lbs. and still had lots of room to turn.  My second baby kept moving around but was settled around 36 weeks and even with him being just under 9 lbs. and 21 inches I still had most of my kicks around my belly button the last few weeks 'cuz he squished himself down.  My Dr. didn't even begin to check till I was 36 weeks with either one of them, but they can usually tell by feeling baby and by where the hearbeat is.
I can't imagine that he stayed head down...but at my last appt. (23 weeks) the doc said baby was head down. I do get kicked in the ribs alot......and everywhere else. But...ya never know what are actual "kicks" and what is hands, head, butt, etc. lol!
I just went to the doctor this morning and my DD is breach at 27 weeks.  The doctor said not to worry, yet but he is doing another ultrasound in 4 weeks.  He said that if she hadn't turned by then we would talk about our options.  He said that in he experience a lot of babies go back and forth, but some find a position and stay there.  I know my DD has on been going back and forth because I feel all of the kicks in my bladder and sometimes even my rectum (TMI).  
Tomorrow starts my 36th week.  My baby girl has been head down since around week 20 .  At every single midwife and doctor appointment since that point, she has been head down.  But she hasnt kicked my ribs at all.  Most of the time she kicks my side, but not my ribs...
Hi!  I just had my latest appt yesterday and asked this question (I'm 34w6d today).  She said that he still has room in there and could still move around (though he's cramped), and he was moving around while she felt for his position and wouldn't stay in one place.  She said he can wait to be head down until the day of delivery, really.  It totally depends on the baby.  As of yesterday, all my kicking was up in my ribs and upper belly, and she thought he was head down, until she felt around, and then he moved and was kicking way down my belly.  So, I guess she's right - it really does depend, and he still has enough room to roam at this stage.  Wow - amazing stuff, right??
My baby was head down at about 25 weeks
How do you know whats what????   I feel him all over.  I have no idea what is where?????
I had a harder time with baby #2, with my first baby I could tell when he was breech because you could actually see his big ol head push out of my ribs.  It was so freaky and hurt so bad!  With my second one I could tell feet sometimes becuase he would push them out so far I could see the impression in my belly!