Maternal & Child Community
When does the gestation sac appear on ultrasound?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Has anyone else had this happen? I went to the gyn yesterday for an ultrasound to check for fibroids. We've been TTC for 2 years with no luck. During the ultrasound the tech asked me when my last period was and then said that there was something on the screen that appeared to be a gestational sac (which she showed me), although it could be something else and she believe it was NOT truly a gestational sac. They did a urine pg test, which came back neg. I have no idea how far into pg you have to be in order for the gestational sac to be visible on an ultrasound. Knowing that info would help me decide whether I should take another test or not, or, more importantly if I should be highly reserved in my emotions at this point. I start my period next Friday so I know it is still early and that the docs tests are not that much more sensitive that the pharmacy ones. I just don't know that you'd see a gestational sac at 1 or 2 weeks. Anyone have a clue? TIA! My last period was 3/17 and it was fairly heavy.
Hi i found out that im pregnant again which i was in shock about.
I found out a week ago.
I went to the doctors yesterday as i was having cramps, he sent me up the hospital to be seen.
I had a scan done and could not see the sac, so they took some blood and said that they were doing a hcg test to see how high it is and it came back 967 so i have to have it done again tomorrow 3/12/06, to see if it doubles.
I think thats wot you should ask for..
I will let you know how it goes.Goodluck to you.
Hi again just to say im 4 to 5 weeks ish and no sac was seen..she said they appear around 6weeks hope ive helped you.
Get a hcg test done if its over 5 you are pregnant..xx
I wish I could help you out, I know that the yolk sac should appear approx. 38 days from LMP. The HcG test is the best way for you to go. If you don't want to go through all that maybe you should try to wait until your next cycle should start. It is all a waiting game now as hard as that is to deal with. I hope all goes well for you!!!!
Thanks for the responses. Looking forward to seeing what my hormone levels are since they took blood to test them, will get that info next week.
you wouldent see a gestational sac befor you got a positive hpt if done correctly if this was negative after you saw this sac i would pressume its something else good luck anyway
About 6 weeks or so.
I saw mine at 5 weeks.  It may depend on the machine they are using.
I went for my first ultrasound today. I was told i am about 6week's preg. I was shown my yolk sac but no sign of a heart beat or baby, Could this be because i'm earlier then expected in my pregnancy?. Very worried.