Maternal & Child Community
When is it too soon for a baby to walk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When is it too soon for a baby to walk

I am sure this sounds really silly, but I have a 4 1/2 month old and he seems to be bored to death with everything.  He always has to be standing.  Well he is now bored with standing and wants to walk.  Last night I walked him all around the house and he just loved it...he even chased the dog...well not chased since he is slow but walked toward the dog and follwed him.  I have heard from older generations that it is bad to let a baby stand (mind you, he is not standing or walking on his own and I never let him put all his weight down).  My DHs grandma says he will go bow legged and others say it is bad for his back.  What have all of you seasoned moms done, because I am assuming at 4-5 months most babies like to stand.  Should I just go with it and maybe he will be an early walker??
my dd did the same thing and then started to walk at 7 months - she is now 11 months and a holy terror.  EVERYTHING bores her.  My next baby I am not teaching how to walk until 1st grade. haha

dd walked before she crawled - crawled at 9 months - she would not stay on her belly - she just had better things to do like walk holding on to everything to see what was going on.  

Looks like you are going to have an early walker - ps.  dd not bolegged but she does have some big piggies.  (size 4 already)
My daughter wears size 5's already and she was not an early walker. Early crawler but not walker. She still walks holding onto things, she will take a couple steps and then plop down if she is not holding onto anything.  She was and still is bored with everything. I think I am really in for it with her! lol  I know I am supposed to read to her but she would rather put the book on her head, eat it or throw it. She has to be constantly moving. I know Cantwait can relate! lol
My little boy was the same, also my DD.

Both my kids used the walker (I know some moms don't agree) always on the bottom floor and an exersaucer.  They loved them.  Both started at 4 mos.

My son is now 6 mos old and cruises around in the walk like he's speed racer.

He's doing okay without it but he doesn't completely pull himself up yet on things.  Only if using our hands he can pull himself to the upright position to start trying to walk.
Oh geez I was wondering that.  He is such a wiggle worm all the time and cannot sit still.  I am gonna be she-woman by the time he is 1, since I constantly hold him up!  I was thinking of getting a walker too, I have heard bad opinions on it, but we would only use it downstairs and we have no other children to knock him out of it.  So maybe I will look into one of those.
mine started walking at 9 mos and I wish she hadn't. she RUNS around the house now (12 mos on 5/5) and is into everything - i can't keep up with her.... ohhh my - there she goes now gotta run. LOL!
Even an exersaucer or a jumperoo...the modern moms choices work well.

My DS loves his exersaucer too!!  And it allows him to stand and play.  Although, when you put him in his walker....he just lights up....he knows.  It's time to chase the cats or big sister!
Like Deanne's kids,  mine all used a walker too.  BOY do they love it!  You have to be careful with stairs,  that's true,  but if you don't have that problem walkers are great.
OMG i am worried my 10 month old doesn't even take steps while holding his hands and is just now trying to pull up :( is this bad
By the way....just another mom tip about the walker.  Not only is bad obviously near stairs but my DS was slamming into our TV stand (happened once)....very dangerous as I've heard kids have passed away from injuries due to TVs or heavy objects falling on them.

Now he's in locking position on the walker always unless I'm with him, I even take him outside on our patio/driveway area, he loves cruising......

That is why the exersaucer works better.  It allows him to stand and jump without moving towards dangerous things.
No Kris - not bad....they all develop at their own pace.  Really don't worry.

My DS is so far behind where my DD was at this age....but I haven't hit the panic button yet.
He's just a different kid.
Yeah I think every kid is different so I wouldnt worry...I have heard of kids not walking until 16 months or older.
Deanne11~ OMG that is scary about having a TV fall on them.  Out TV is mounted on the wall.  I would probably just have to move one small dresser that could possibly tip if it were hit hard enough.  Yikes!  I already need to baby proof my house!!  And the poor dog is gonna be running for his life.  We have a small maltese!  LOL, good thing he is quick on his feet.
That's funny about the dog....yeah our cats run when they see me put Jake in the walker....the dog...he's a lab...he just lays there....Jake just piles into him....dog doesn't move.  He's like a speed bump for me and median stopper.
My daughter and our dog (Yorkie/Bichon mix) are the best of friends. But Petey sure knows to get out of Avery's way. He runs away from her sometimes because she is so wild!!
It also increases their ability to access things that were previously unreachable.

I am a fan of exersaucers, they can stand, bounce, spin, and have lots of toys to play with.
Andi - Yeah I agree that's why I put my note on there....he's usually in the locking position unless, I'm walking with him or playing with him.

It's just another toy for him really.  He uses it when he gets bored with the exersaucer....lol....he's getting smart though.  I used to just switch him back and forth...but he's catching on.  He'll pull up his legs when he thinks I'm switching him from one to the other....
The only thing I dont like so much about the exersaucers...which is probably really ridiculous for me to feel this way.....is the ability for them to jump.  Two of my friends would put their babies in them and when it came to other people holding the baby, all they would do is jump.  Kinda funny because as their baby would get passed from our friends...one of them would be springing the baby up and down...they would get tired and pass it to the next then they would spring them up and down, and so on. LOL!  It also took their babies a lot longer to stand on their own because everytime you would put pressure on their feet the baby would try to bounce.  My mom keeps hounding me to get him a jumper, but I think I have one of those obsessive type babies.  But I know he would do great with the activity portion of it!
I understand the bouncing thing....Jake does bounce all the time when you are holding him, but really I don't mind.

He's an active little boy....That's just him.

I'm sure you'll make the right call for your little guy.