Maternal & Child Community
When should I expect my period after c-section?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hey ladies. I had my DD on December 14th. I started birth control pills on January 3rd. Does anyone have any idea when I will get my period? Is it safe to assume that I will get my period when I am taking the pills that you are suppose to be taking when you have a period or is this first month going to be messed up?? Any idea???

Thanks ladies.

xoxoxox,
Danielle

ok first off you dont start any form of birth control other than condoms until your 6 week checkup...secondly you cannot just begin the pill anytime..you need to have had a period..i go with the sunday start and so i have a period and that sunday following i begin the pill...

i hope you know that #1 you are not protected for having taken the pill like that-if you have resumed intercourse and #2 the bleeding you experience after the birth of your dd was not a period...its lochia or something like that...before you begin a form of bc you need to have your own period which all depends...i stopped bleeding ds was 2 weeks old and 4 weeks later got my period...i had just finished the day before i saw my ob for the 6 week check-up...

best of luck...
the first six weeks after your c-section, you will bleed . than it took me two months after that for my period to start again.
Actually the birth control pills that my OB put me on I could start that day. I read all the information on them. I also talked with my OB about them. I would never just start taking pills without talking to her first. She is the one that prescribed them for me. And I didn't have to wait for 6 weeks after my c-section, she said that was unnecessary too. Also, I know that the pill doesn't really take effective for a month so I am not having unprotective sex....lol...I am not stupid. I did read up on these pills before I started taking them. The pill that I am taking is a chewable birth control pill and you can start them anytime of the week, doesn't have to be a Sunday and it doesn't have to be after your period. :-)
What kind of birth control pills are they?  Are you breastfeeding?  I know after my first dd, I was on the mini pill, since I was breastfeeding, and the combo of that pill and nursing kept me from getting a period for almost a year!  This time I am not on the pill, but am breastfeeding, and I haven't gotten a period yet.  It has been 4 and a half months since my c-section.  Oh, my first was a c-section too.
wow chewable birth control...ive never heard of those...i didnt mean to come off sounding rude or anything just as i was readin the first post i was like omg...wth lol but you clarified everything...i guess every ob is different and i suppose where you live can determine that as well...due to the availability of things...but thank you for clarifying..reading that i was like okay i dont think she wants another baby right away lol...anyways thats so cool what are those bc called???
my sister-in-law  just stopped bleeding about 2 weeks ago and she had her DD on August 31st. So she actually doesn't know if she started hers or not or if it was just from the c-section....she also did this with her son 3 years ago