When should you start wearing walking shoes on babies??
I have read so many different things about shoes.  But when should you really start putting your baby in them?
My son is 7 and half months old.  He has been pulling himself up into standing position since about 5 and half months.  Since around 6 months he's been "cruising" (I think that's the right word) around his crib and the length of the couch.  He started letting go and "standing" by himself (even though it's only for 5 seconds) about 2 weeks ago.
Should I start wearing shoes on him and what kind?  Do I get the $10.00 ones at Walmart or spend  $60.00 at a regular shoe store?
I read somewhere that it is better to NOT put shoes on your baby because it streghtens their muscles and bones better.
Any advice??
I agree with the last post.  I have always heard that as well.  I bought shoes for my little guy and he hates to wear them.  He is not walking either only with a little push toy walker he has.  If we go outside with it I just put him in socks.   Take Care
I too agree with walking with NO shoes. My DR told me not to put shoes on my son, this was to strengthen his muscles and tendons in his feet, ankles and legs. He also said that with shoes on there is more risk of the child falling down, with no shoes (or socks) they have a better grip...hope this helps you
I hate shoes myself!
Sitting in my bare feet as we speak or technically type
I dont spend alot on babies shoes  they are in them and out of them so fast its not worth it to me to put that kind of money out there, and half the time we carry them anyway
It is best to not put shoes on your baby, unless you have to b/c they are going outside or you are going somewhere where they can't/shouldn't walk in bare feet.

Letting them cruise around the house barefoot is best.  This strengthens their arches and ankles.
mgi
I agree with the stride rite post. For the first few years they should have good new shoes.  (ouch they are expensive though)
I have three children and did not put shoes on them until they took their first step.   Then I only put shoes on when we went out.  I have always believed that shoes are the most important thing to buy your child.  Their feet only form once and it is so miserable to have feet that hurt.  So I spend about $40.00 on their shoes and get them at Dillards and always have bought Stride Rite. I buy Stride Right until about 5 years old when they begin to want a little more stylish shoes although some of them are pretty stylish.  They are the best for babies, because they make wide, and extra wide.  All my kids have had fat feet and cramming them in cheap shoes did not seem right to me.  If you spend the money up front you only have to have the size checked once every 3 months.  I do used clothes, and toys etc, but won't chintz on shoes(unless they are sandals for by the pool) or diapers.  Good luck.
I don't think it matters how much the shoes cost as long as your child wears them.  If they hurt, my daughter would cry, sit down and take them off.   She's got fat feet, too and a lot of WalMart shoes fit better than the stride rite ones.  Her most expensive pair was $30 Keds Mary Janes which she does love.  The kids will let you know.
From everything that I have been told, you should not put hard soled shoes on them until they are walking, but if you wanted to try those soft, all leather (they have them at target, babies r us-that is where I got my daughter's for $12; and they probably have them at walmart)the soles are soft leather, just like the rest of the shoe- I have been told that those are good for babies that are beginning to walk, but are not yet fully mobile.