When should you stop sleeping on your back?
My doc said 20 weeks is when to quit back-sleeping but it seems that people on here start much earlier. Any reason to switch to exclusively side-sleeping before 20 weeks? thanks in advance-
Better blood flow to the uterus for the baby.  My doc told me if I happen to find myself sleeping on my back, it's no big deal.  Your body will alert you when something is wrong and you will turn to your sides anyway.  Don't worry about that too much.  Can you imagine our mothers and grandmothers, they didn't have all these pregnancy rules and we all turn out to be fine!
Hey, just wanted to let you know that there is a post "sleeping positions while prego" from Tuesday and you can get lots of info there! I had a simular question.
I am 34 weeks and I sometimes find my self sleeping on my back.  I cant really get comfortable on the right side so I mainly sleep on my left.  Now after all this left side sleeping my hip hurts.
I NEVER have been a back sleeper. Now at 38 weeks, sometimes I wake up on my back. No biggie...Has anyone taken any over the counter sleep aids? I am exhausted but can't get to sleep???
take advantage of sleeping on your back while you can!  Trust me I am 32 weeks with twins and I am miserable at night. I long for the days when i could sleep.  I just cant stay comfortable!  When you start feeling dizzy or lightheaded while laying on your back that is a good indicator that you are ready for your side!!
I have taken Beneryl and Tylenol PM a few times.  I only took half a pill and it helped.  I am 32 weeks.
Thanks, I took 2 unisom last night and my mom had to chime in and ask if it was okay 3rd trimester, then I kinda freaked...
I don't think you can take Unisom but you should call your OB to verify.  I get motion sickness and Tylenol and Beneryl are the only 2 meds I am allowed to take to make me drowsy.
Let us know.
Okay, Dr. at lunch. Unisom is a class A drug and is safe. Thanks!!
my doctor said about 16-18 weeks is a good time, but I already sleep on my sides naturally so it hasn't been any type of problem yet.
I was encouraged to start sleeping on my left side as early in the pregnancy as I could...it's very uncomfortable at first, but your body will adjust and it's a lot easier to make that change earlier on then trying to do it when your belly starts getting bigger.
Any position which limits your blood flow should be avoided all together....if you can't breath comfortably then neither can baby...I slept on my stomache til aprox 20-22 wks then I couldn't anymore..I think would feel baby kicking me..tell me to get my butt off of him I'm squishing him...and I don't do it anymore..any time I do he kicks so that is a sign....I sleep on my side b/c being on my back for too long will make me waddle like a duck when I get up....stresses out the vena cava and its not good....a big fluffy pillow between the legs is very comfy