Maternal & Child Community
When to announce pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When to announce pregnancy

How far along should you be before you let people know you are pregnant?  Also, what are the chances of miscarrying after you found a decent heartbeat on the baby at 7 weeks?  Thank you any answers in advance
after you see and or hear the heartbeat the risk decreases dramatically. alot of women opt to wait until the get beyond the first trimester, but for me personally i told once i gsaw the heartbeats. i felt like i needed and wanted the support if i lost another one.
It's a very personal decision that you have to make when it comes to sharing the news.  I had three miscarriages last year, so my husband and I were a little more cautious about who we told about the pregnancy at first.  We waited to tell close family until after my 8 week appointment, then extended family at 12 weeks and then I told my coworkers when I was 14 weeks (had to.. I was starting to show!)

Congrats on your pregnancy!  I wish you a happy, healthy 9 months!

it's all personal choice.  most people tell close family early and and wait until 10-12 weeks to tell others.
With my first 3 pregnancies, I practically shouted it from the roof tops the moment I peed on the stick.  One of them did result in miscarriage, and I saw a normal heart beat at 6 weeks...the fetus passed only days later, and I began to spot.  This last pregnancy, the fourth, I waited until blood work came back normal indicating a viable pregnancy at about 6 weeks....I then shouted from the roof tops again.  Very happily.

Here is what I have learned from my miscarriage:
If you don't tell anyone that your pregnant, then who will support you through a miscarriage in the unfortunate event that one would happen?????
Nobody will offer help and support if they never knew you were pregnant.
I wasn't ashamed that I had a m/c, it was't MY fault.  The support that I had from even unexpected individuals was AMAZING.  I have never regretted shouting the news.............Although, it is a personal decision.

PS...congrats!
I told anyone and everyone right away, all four pregnancies.

I couldn't help it.

The first few days after finding out, it was just on my mind SOOO much that I almost felt deceitful if I didn't mention it while talking to people. Especially since some of them could tell something was up with me, and starting asking what it was!

Excitement is contagious.

I have been blessed tremendously, and have never had a miscarriage. But I do believe that having the sympathy and support of the people I told would be comforting in that situation, rather than having to keep yet another secret from them...
My doctor told me once you see the heartbeat there is only a 3% chance of miscarriage- and I have been in that 3%.  Even after that though and miscarrying at 12 weeks, I still told my family about this pregnancy right when we knew.  My reasoning for this was if I had to deal with a 3rd miscarriage, I wanted my family beside me to support me and my husband.  It's like the others said, its a personal choice- and personally, I am not a good secret keeper when it comes to big news in my life!!!!  Congrats on your pregnancy!
I had one miscarriage & we got pregnant on clomid and told people at 8 weeks when we had seen a lovely heartbeat. I am 12 weeks & 2 days now :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who told everyone right away.   My first pregnancy I was so excited and told everyone.  I lost the baby at 9 weeks.  This girl at my work told me she was sorry but I shouldn't have told anyone until the 3rd month because that should have been mine and my husbands buisness and nobody really cared about what happened.  She made me feel really bad like I shouldn't have told anyone.  Another girl told me thats what I get for rushing things with my husband.  We got married the week before I m/c.  So when I got preg agian I didn't tell anyone because a part of me thought people were looking at me like it was my fault.  I lost that one too.  I got preg with this baby right after and waited a couple weeks.  
It's a shame not to tell anybody straight away. It's good to have people to share the excitement with but I would limit it to just a few. At 8 wks I had an ultrasound that showed everything was normal but the baby stopped growing at 10 wks & I had a miscarriage at 17wks. I started telling people at 8 weeks. I think it's good to have a few people to talk to after a miscarriage but having the whole world know is hard because the subject is brought up again and again. Next time I think I will tell maybe just my parents to begin, then fam and friends at 12 weeks. I will probably keep from telling work colleagues and people who aren't close until 16 weeks just to be safe.
It must be different for everyone though