Maternal & Child Community
When to expect menstrual cycle after d & c?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi all. I am curious to know when I can "expect" my next period.  I had a d & c on the 18th of Feb and from what I understand, my period should come around 4-6 weeks later. I want to know specifically from those who have had d & c's if this was actually the case. When did you have your period after your d & c?? Thanks much.
I didn't have D&C but after MC I got AF 34 days later.....hope you get it on time so you can get started again.....good luck

Brandi
I got my first AF 30 days after my D&C, a little later than normal, but not by much.  I was 10weeks along when I had the procedure w/ an HCG over 60,000.
It's so hard to say... depending on your situation. I m/c in Nov. and I had "periods" fairly regularly but my hCG levels were still really high and I wasn't ovulating.  So, if you're wondering when you'll ovulate you will have to wait til your numbers are down to 10 or below.  At least that's what I've been told and I've been charting with OPK's and it proved true for me.  I hope that helps and I'm so sorry for your loss.  Keep you chin up!  I'm TWW and will pray that AF doesn't come in two weeks! :)
I forgot to mention... I had my D&C on 12/8 and it took til March 13th for me to ovulate.
Thanks so much for the responses! i really appreciate it. God Bless!
It's "ovulation predictor kit" ....you can find them with the home pregnancy tests (HPT).  GOOD LUCK!!  It's a waiting game! :) ~T
I misscarried at 18 weeks on 4/25/06 had a d/c on 4/27/06. I got my period within 3-4 weeks. I conceived right after. Unfortunatley I misscarried that one too but after that d/c and laparoscopy(for endometriosis) I never had a period I got preg immediately afterward. Upon ultrasound, according to the baby's measurements they gave me a LMP date of 2 days after my surgery. So it's hard to say what your body will do. Use the ovulation predictor kit. It worked well for me. I am very sorry for your loss. The hurt doesn't go away completely but it does get better.
I had first af 29 days after d&c it lasted 12 days and was heavy at times.I just started 2nd cycle and it took 32 days for this one but it seems like normal so far.My cycles used to be 28 days before pregnancy.I was 10 weeks when I had D&C.Hope this helps.
Thanks guys!!! Just wanting to know because its been about 4 weeks and nothing yet. What does OPK mean?? Thanks
Hi.  I started on the 34th day after d&c.  My m/c was also last month.  I'm sorry for your loss.
Is the typical wait time the same for a  D & C, if it was due to an issue with your uterous lining and not due to a miscarriage?  Does the body react the same regardless of why it was needed?  Thanks!

D
Hi I am 32 days post d&c and still waiting for my periode. I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum at 8 weeks, had pills to help misscarry and ended up hemoraging at 10wks, so they did an emergency d&c. I really want my periode so I can try again anyone have similare experience?
TO" SARONNA
i had a d&c and didnt get a wait for the return of my period. we convienced two weeks after our d&c so you dont have to wait.. if your body is ready it will do its job.
Thank you
I wish it were like that for me, but we have to use doner sperm. I am feeling so down about it right now, litterally all my girl friends are pregnant and I am only 27, they are 34-40, I am letting this out onmline 'cause I can't in real life, I am just happy for them in real life. So thanks for listening.
i had a miscarriage followed by d&c. My period has been regular since then for the last four months however I have a pain in my uterus during my menstrual cycle. Anyone have this same thing? It is that same feeling I had in my uterus after the D&C.
I had miscarried on Aug 26 (I was 9 weeks and was told the baby stopped growing at 7 weeks.) I had a D&C on Aug 28, I had some slight bleeding in late October. I was told this was probably not my period since on Nov 13 I experienced horrible cramps and very heavy bleeding for 5 days. My doctor has been awful throughout this whole experience. I have had many problems contacting and getting straight answers from her. Does it seem normal that  I went almost 3 months till I got my period. My husband and I have continued TTC, but I'm not even sure if that is even possible yet. I'm so frustrated, I just wish I had any idea what was going on with my body. Any help or insight would be appreciated!
Hi I had my dnc 11/19/09 and had my period 5 weeks later but I'm still irregular and I'm having horrible cramping like I have another tubal or another m/c! I'm scared! I got on the depo shot n dec. So not sure if that's why! If any1 can offer any advice on what to do I would appreciate it! I've had 2m/c a tubal and a dnc cz the baby died @ 5wks5days! Thanks alot
Hi Saronna,

I had mine exactly July 13 2010 up till now I am yet to see my period.  Pls keep me posted on ***@**** as soon as yours come.  Mine is exactly 44 days today.  I hope it comes.  I am getting botthered
T had a D&C over 6weeks ago and still no period and negative pregnancy test,  I called my dr and they didn't seem worried.  They said it can take up to 12weeks to get a period after D&C. This goes against everything I have read online...should I be worried??? Or possibly take another test in couple more weeks? CONFUSED...
I'm in the same boat. It has been 6 weeks since my D&C. My cycles are normally 34 days long to practically the minute. We found out we had a missed miscarriage at 13 weeks and I had the procedure the next day. I also called my doctor and the nurse on call said it's normal to take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to get a period. After 8 weeks, if a pregnancy test is negative, I need to see my doctor to talk about my options. The nurse was very vague but I've read online that they give you a pill to start your cycle again. I'm not calling if I go past 8 weeks. I'm going to count on my body to do it's thing naturally. I almost wish that's what I would have done after finding out the baby had no heartbeat-left it to nature. I just couldn't stand to know my baby was dead inside of me. Let me know what happens with you. Is the waiting killing you like it is me?!
I am going threw that now. Did your body end up fixing it self? did you start and when? Thanks