Maternal & Child Community
When will milk 'dry up' after delivery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When will milk 'dry up' after delivery?

Does anyone know when breast milk should dry up after delivery?  I am bottle feeding and my baby is almost 3 weeks old.  My breasts are still swollen and tender.  When can I expect this to go away?
I don't remember exactly how long..but it took me a while. I know I was back at work and still having a little bit of leakage at night....so after 8 weeks that would have been. SORRY!
If they have a red area or one area is very painful, you could have an infected milk gland and you should see a doctor.  

If they are just generally tender and swollen, it may take a couple more weeks to go away.  You can help this by wearing a very tight bra or binding your breasts 24 hours a day (or as close as you can stand).  Do not manipulate or stimulate your breasts.  Do not try to squeeze out milk to make them feel better.  Don't even let the warm shower water beat down on your breasts.  All these things stimulate milk production.

A tight bra or ace bandage worn constantly is the best thing.  You can also put cold packs on them.
I tried all the 'wives tales' and they did not work. The only thing that can be done, that actually works but is a little painful is to bind your breast by either wearing a very tight sports bra or using an ace bandage (which is what I did). You can slowly stop the production of breast milk by compressing the breast tissue tightly and I mean tightly. It does not happen quickly but it will speed along the process. Do not stimulate your breasts and or your nipples in any way as that will continue to stimulate milk production.
Good luck, I know it can be very painful and remember, no matter how baddly they swell and hurt, you will only prolong the drying process if you pump to help the pain. If I got to a point when I was in terrible pain because my breeasts were so engorged I would barely squeeze a small amount out just to help a little.
Again.....good luck.
Try cabbage leaves...put them in the fridge and then apply the cold leaves to your breasts inside your bra...they stink I know but they did the trick for me. It takes time..and is so painful, I'm not looking forward to that part again! Don't stimulate the breasts at all and wear a tight bra or wrap ace bandages around them tightly. Good luck!
Thanks, everyone!  I will try these suggestions!
What is so weird is that I have NEVER leaked or anything like that.  There is no indication that I could even breastfeed.  They are just rock hard and painful and way bigger than normal.  I have implants and am not sure if that is why.  I never even got milk with my first child, which is really weird too!
I bottle fed with my first 2 and I'd say 2-3 weeks is when I stopped leaking, but I leaked like crazy until that point!  I had so many pads in my bras and I had to change them every time I went to the bathroom.  Finally it lingered off to just if I laid on them or at night, but it'll be gone shortly!
OMG, I feel your pain. Nothing helped my pain, mine was so bad I would cry if someone barely touched them and to put the baby on my shoulder to burp her really made me cry. i tried the ace bandage and bought a tight sports bra but it didn't help. the bra was too little, I am 42 DD so you can imagine how big they were when they was engorged, anyway the ace bandage wasn't really big enough so i just let them go. I took stuff for the pain and I think it took about 2 weeks for the pain to go away all the way. Good luck and I hope some of these ideas help you but note that they might not help.
Tiffany
Not to sound like I'm against bottle feeding but can I ask why you're not giving breastfeeding a go? I don't want to start anything on here - I am completely open to people doing what they want with their bodies and their babies, I am only asking to get a broad idea of reasons new mums choose to bottle feed over breastfeeding. Is it because of work issues or baby not drinking/feeding/attaching well? Just curious. Thanks.

By the way be careful letting them get too swollen as you could develop mastitis - an infection in the mammory glands from the milk ducts become blocked or backed up with milk. If you notice any really sore areas around your breast (like on the skin) if it feels bruised and has a slight red rash appearance and you have a little fever - this could be mastitis. Anyhow, take care and congratulations on the new baby!
mumwith#4 - I posted a series of questions about breastfeeding on here a few days ago, you can see it a number of posts before this one, but women gave me great advice and experience of BF since I have decided to try it this time around.  (Also explains why I didn't try it in the first place) but I am very excited to try it with this new baby, hopefully I'll have a good experience.
hi my son will be two on the third of march and i am still producing milk is that normal
hello how are you ??? I was wpndering if you knew anything about breastmilk?? my daugher is one i stopped producing milk about a month after she was born and now i have milk again do you know why that could be??