Maternal & Child Community
Where is the navel connected on the inside of the fetus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I know that the mother's placenta is connected to the fetus' navel via the umbilical cord on the outside (of the fetus), but then what?  Where does the "inside" of the navel connect to in the fetus?  Does it connect directly to the abdominal aorta, or is there some sort of fine capillary exchange system in the belly wall of the fetus?  I guess this question could be generalized to apply to all mammals...
I am a little confused by the question because I tend to think of the placenta as being the fetus' placenta rather than the mother's placenta, and I didn't know there was an aorta anywhere but in the region of the heart, not the abdomen.  Someone else who had anatomy in school might be able to tell you whether the blood supply that enters the baby at his or her navel goes through any kind of filter or if it just hooks up to a major blood vessel.  Since one always hears that substances in the mom's bloodstream can "cross the placental barrier," it might be that any filtration involved is not in the baby's body but in the placental barrier itself.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10238&ClickedLink=343&area=27

(if it doesn't connect, just go to the www.childbirthconnection.org and follow links until you get to the "Your growing body at 6 - 7 weeks" section.

It might possibly give some clues.  The drawings of the fetus and how it is connected inside the placenta can be enlarged, and are very instructive.