Maternal & Child Community
Which is better, breast or bottle?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Which is better, breast or bottle?

Honest opinions needed. Ive heard so much both ways. which way do you think is better? No flamethrowing please just wanted to know what most people are doing and why.
Do you mean breastfeeding to formula feeding?  Breastfeeding is best.  As they say, "breast is best".  It is the very best food for your baby.  It is made specifically for your baby. If your baby comes early your body will make the exact milk that he needs.  Your body will continue changing the milk to fit the needs of your baby.  Healthwise there is nothing better for a baby than breastmilk.  

Now, if you are asking about what people do that is different.  I think that everyone now knows that breastmilk is best for babies, but a lot of women don't breastfeed.  It is a personal choice.  There is a lot of misinformation out there by people that you should be able to trust.  Like doctors.  Some women think they can't make enough milk, which is so rare that it hardly ever happens. It's because they have bad doctors that give them bad advice.

There are other women that just don't want to breastfeed.  Like my sister.  It just comes down to what you want to do.  If you were to make the decision solely on what is best healthwise for your baby you would breastfeed, but that is only one aspect of it. If you are going back to work then pumping can be very difficult.  

Formula is a good substitute for breastmilk. It is not as good for babies as breastmilk, even the kinds that say "like found in breastmilk" but it is still good food for a baby.  I would never make anyone feel guilty for not breastfeeding, just as I wouldn't want someone to judge breastfeeding women.  You will find extremes on both sides.  I think it is important to remember that they don't represent anyone other than themselves. You make the decision that is right for you and your family and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

But any amount of breastmilk is good for the baby.  If it is possible for you to breastfeed during the baby's first week of life you are giving the baby the best possible start.  The colustrum is the best food your baby will ever have.  It's liquid gold.  Lol!  

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Well this is def. a tough question and some people feel very strongly about this topic. While I do agree the breast milk is better than formula I have chosen with all 4 of my kids to bottle feed. I do it because I tries it once on my 1st child and I just didn't feel comfortable doing it. I feel you have to do what is best in your eyes. Either way children who are bottlefed grow up to be just as healthy as breastfed babies do. This question will probably spark some harsh words, I've seen it before, but she has asked us to be civil and that is what I did. Either way it is your decision and your decision alone. Good luck!
Tiffany
I think breast is best also. However I bottle fed. I had a c-section with my son and it hurt me a lot to try to hold him and feed. and I never knew that I could bottle feed and switch to try to breast feed after a day or two. If the nurses would have told me I would have tried again.
However, I think the formula they make now is very close to breast milk, even though I'm sure nothing can be 100% the same.

If i'm lucky enough to have another baby, even though I will have another c-section, I am really really going to try to breastfeed this time. At least for the first 6 weeks while I am home.
Breastfeeding is the absolute BEST food you can give your baby.  All the statistics say so BUT some woman just are not comfortable with it or can't for certain medical reasons so I say the best thing is what YOU are comfortable with.  I say all women should try it - You may find the experience very rewarding but if it does not work out don't beat yourself up.  It is a HUGE commitment to nurse - It takes A LOT of time away from things you may want to do but I also say it is only for a short time and is well worth it.  Good Luck - Whatever decision you make will be the best cuz both you and baby will be happy.
I won't say one is better than the other. I didn't bf my daughter.
When my son was born I tried to bf because he was 37 wks when born.
He became severely jaundice and cried all the time. I switched to formula he got better, I tried breastfeeding again and he became jaundice and cried all the time.  Dr's finally agreed he was having a reaction to breastmilk.
I think you need to do what you are comfortable with and see how your baby reacts.
Breast is the best
Helps w/ less tummy aches for baby
You lose baby weight faster (in most cases)
Helps imm system for baby

Most important you want to be the best mom you can be so you'll have to do which ever makes you feel better :) Breast has been great for my son he has been extremely healthy & was born early but has done great, he's now 2yr!! Pg w/ ds#2 & plan to BF again.
I don't think there is any scientific argument that formula is better than breast milk--it's all for breast milk.  And for the reasons misseltoe mentioned (your body makes the EXACT "formula" your baby needs).

I would encourage anyone who tries to breastfeed, to not give up for at least 2 weeks.  I had a great pediatrician who told me that and I'm so glad she did.  My baby wasn't latching on and after a few days, his urine was very dark (almost orange).  I called my pediatrician and she told me the urine color was a sign of dehydration--she told me to pump my breast milk and feed my baby with a medicine dropper until the morning (yes, I was really worried and thought about going out to buy formula, but my pediatrician reassured me that all was fine).  In the morning, I went to a La Leche League meeting where they helped me to get him to latch on (you know when your baby is latched on because it feels TOTALLY different than when s/he is not).

I know pumping may be a pain, but I would even recommend pumping and bottle feeding with breast milk over formula if it's possible or even just supplementing when possible with breast milk.  Or even just nursing at night.  I think that some is better than none at all.
I think its up to you and what you want to do.  I particularly am torn between the two...Im not sure which I want to do.  I go back to school in Jan so it will be very difficult to pump.  Hopefully I will decide...and do it very soon.
I don't know when you are due, but you can start out breastfeeding, or pumping and giving a bottle (though if you go this route it may be hard to switch back to feeding from the breast) and when you start school to switch to formula.  It is up to you, of course, but it is an option.

It's best not to introduce a bottle to a breastfeeding baby until they are 6 weeks, or until breastfeeding is well established.  

Any amount of breastmilk is good for your baby.  It's up to you, and I'm not trying to pressure you either way, just letting you know that you can breastfeed and switch to formula later on if that is what you want to do. You don't have to decide one way or the other right now.
I am 33w1d  and have been going over this topic in my head a million times.  I go back to school in Jan and do not want to pump because of time issues, when, where, where to store the milk, etc.  I have thought about bf and then switching to bottle but I dont want to bf and then have problems with the bottle.  I just keep putting off making my mind up on what to do.  I definately do not want to waste the money on a pump to only use it 2 months. But oh well Ill figure it out in time I guess.  Thanks so much for your comment..I know I would have gotten more feedback on the maternal forum than the ladies.  I had posted a similar question a couple weeks ago and got like 4 comments. Thanks again!
I bf with both of my boys--it was a decision that I was comfortable with.  Though when my time to go back to work got closer I had to switch to a bottle and formula.  It just worked that both my boys took to the bottle after being nursed exclusively for the 1st six weeks. Sometimes there are adjustment periods if you decide to nurse and then go to a bottle.  But as everyone stated it is your decision and what you feel comfortable with.  
If you don't want to waste money on buying a pump, many hospitals will rent them for fairly cheap. It is a tough decision to make, growing up I figured i would always bottle feed, once I made into the second trimester with my first I started thinking about my options and my dh was a huge supporter of nursing. With a great support system in place I made the decision to nurse and have done so with both my boys for 14 and 15 mos and plan to with this one as well.

Good luck in your decision.

Andi
i bf both of my children (dd 6yrs old nursed until she was 16 months, ds 20 months old nursed until he was 1 yr, but was a biter).  the hospital told me with my first that my milk wasn't coming in and encouraged me to give her formula.  my milk came in 3 days later, as it usuually does, so i started nursing.  i didn't make the same mistake with my son.  the hospital asked me over and over again if i wanted a bottle and i told them no.
my ds has never had formula and is so healthy.  we never had a constipation/gas problem when he was an infant and we probably saved thousands of dollars on formula.
also, the closeness that you feel to your child, i think, is unexplainable.  i felt a bond with both of my children that i know no one else ever will.  it was a little strange and uncomfortable at first, especially in public, but when you know that your little one needs you nothing else matters.
as for dh playing a part of it, i had to pump at work so he could feed the baby while i was away.  also, we had a great system that worked well for us.  whenever the baby woke up hungry or it was just time to feed him dh would change his diaper, bundle him up, and bring me a big glass of ice water to drink while nursing.  he has said many times that this is how he felt more involved.  he knew i needed him and the baby needed me, so in turn the baby really needed him.
i too had a csection with my last, and am having another with this one.  there are many positions that are comfortable to avoid the incision, and i think that helped me make a speedy recovery.  the bleeding was more intense in the beginning, but stopped earlier d/t the breastfeeding speeding up the uterus returning to size.
with my daughter, i had to go back to work when she was 5 weeks old. for those first 5 weeks i mainly breast fed. i did give some bottles (with formula) just so she would be ok once i went back to work. after i started working, she had bottles during the day and breastmilk at night. it was pretty cool. that way i still got the closeness of breastfeeding, but the freedom to go to work. you only produce as much milk that is needed...so i never had any problems during the day with leaking or anything.

kristin....from Kalispell, Montana..near Glacier Nat'l Park (the "where are you from" thread was already closed by the time i got home!)
Like everyone has said BREAST IS BEST, but........I wish someone would have told me this or put it in one of those tapes for me to consider. You have to decided you want to be on call 24/7! Yes, people will tell you that you can do both, but that's really up to your baby. Once my DD got the breast she wouldn't take the bottle(believe me I tried) until she was 6mths and even then we fought. Everytime I left the room or the house she would know that I was gone and give whomever was keeping her so much hell that no one wanted to watch her! She wouldn't even let her dad touch her. It was all about mommmy and the breast. But, here's the upside....she's six years old and hasn't been six at all. Yes, she's had colds(who hasn't), but I'm talking strep throat, ear infections, stomach flu, etc. So, I can fell good knowing that the HELL she put me through paid off. Oh, by the way she doesn't drink milk(cow) til this day.
Like everyone has said BREAST IS BEST, but........I wish someone would have told me this or put it in one of those tapes for me to consider. You have to decided you want to be on call 24/7! Yes, people will tell you that you can do both, but that's really up to your baby. Once my DD got the breast she wouldn't take the bottle(believe me I tried) until she was 6mths and even then we fought.

Everytime I left the room or the house she would know that I was gone and give whomever was keeping her so much hell that no one wanted to watch her! She wouldn't even let her dad touch her. It was all about mommmy and the breast. But, here's the upside....she's six years old and hasn't been six at all. Yes, she's had colds(who hasn't), but I'm talking strep throat, ear infections, stomach flu, etc. So, I can fell good knowing that the HELL she put me through paid off. Oh, by the way she doesn't drink milk(cow) til this day.
with our 2 birthchildren, we did both - breast and bottle with expressed milk - from Day 1. ignored all advice about waiting to start bottle feeding simply because we had to, my partner was going back to work shortly after the birth and I had to feed the baby. i think it depends on the kid's temperment and such, but you can easily do both. our adopted oldest daughter was all formula. and, btw, the breastfed boys have had FAR more respiratory ailments than she ever has.
with our 2 birthchildren, we did both - breast and bottle with expressed milk - from Day 1. ignored all advice about waiting to start bottle feeding simply because we had to, my partner was going back to work shortly after the birth. i think it depends on the kid's temperment and such, but you can easily do both. our adopted oldest daughter was all formula. and, btw, the breastfed boys have had FAR more respiratory ailments than she ever has.
I got my pump used on ebay for under $100. It is the Medela pump that is $300 new. It was soooooo much better than the $40 Evenflo that I started with. I started my daughter with pumped milk in the bottle at 2 weeks. I am a stay at home mom, and did bf exclusively, but I wanted her to be willing to take the bottle if I needed to be away for a little while. It really paid off, because when she was 4 mos., I was hospitalized for a day and a half, and all the frozen breastmilk saved us.
I'm going to breastfeed.  Your baby can get immune defense, lower the chances of allergy, etc.  You can probably lose weight faster too and there's fewer bottles to wash.
With my first two I didn't bf b/c I didn't have a supportive partner.  However, with my youngest two their father wanted me to give it a shot so I did.  I know my 4 year old is "healthy" and I only bf him for about 6 weeks.  Now, the baby is 13 weeks old and he hasn't bf for like 3 weeks now.  I have thyroid and it dries your milk supply up quicker.  But I know they got what they needed in the beginning and I am definatley satisfied.  It is like someone else mentioned though....this is something you have to be comfortable with.  Good luck!
Obviously breast is better for the baby (if anyone tells you otherwise, go to the library). It is also the first and biggest sacrifice you can make for your baby.  I have heard people say they don't want to lose their figure, they don't want to be tied down, they don't want to have to wake up at night, they don't want the baby too dependent on them, etc., but having a baby already does all that and more. Your whole life changes. It's not about YOUR schedule and what's convenient for you, or when you want to go to the mall, or away for a weekend or have even a test to study for. You have to put the baby first and the breastfeeding is a marvellous way to bond with the baby and understand their needs--it doesn't feel like a sacrifice once you get going.

I have a couple other pro's--- my son ended up with severe dairy, soy and corn allergies by the time he started to eat---if I had started him on formula as a baby, he probably wouldn't have made it. It seemed to be the only thing he wasn't allergic to (a rare case I admit). I also used the breast as kind of a secret weapon---nursing the baby no matter where or how upset he was instantly calmed him down and re-centered him so he was a tyke who cried VERY rarely if ever. It was just that connection he needed---bottles don't do that.
The downside for me was initially, pain, a great deal of it. The baby didn't latch on right, the first 3 days my nipples were bleeding and raw, I cried every time I saw the baby , etc. Once I got a lactation consultant for onehalf hour (she trained the baby and me as to how to latch on)--it was all peaceful.  Also, I was in school too and had to schedule my classes, appts, with space in between. I had a student babysit oncampus (we had a women's center) and I'd return to baby in between classes (went back when he was 5 mos.)  Honestly, I couldn't have gone back sooner anyway due to just recovering and sleep deprivation, new lifestyle, etc.

Perhaps if you take a semester off to be with the baby (the first six months are precious), you can do both-- breastfeed and then  study.  After 6 mos. they can deal with jars and juice etc so you'll be free to keep nursing when you're home but be comfortable and free at class too. Hope you find what is best for you.
Let me tell you girls... I gained over 80 pounds with my dd!  I went from 129 to 218+  I breast fed my dd.  When she was 4 months old, I weighed 145!  I was never the skinny girl and always had to exercise and watch everything I eat.
oops I meant to say breastfeeding my daughter, I think help her fight off more infections but I also benefit from it too.