Maternal & Child Community
Who else

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Who else

is noticing alot of inconsistencies in things people are posting on here?  I find it frustrating that people feel the need to post things that aren't true.  Do they really think we are a bunch of idiots?  I had spent a few days away from here but now that I'm back it's still happening.  Sorry. Guess I just needed to vent.
Tags: maternal
My best advice in those instances is to ignore them. There are a few serial posters that I don't even bother with as the number of posts and far-fetched stories are only a waste of time and space in my mind. While we have a seemingly unlimited number of posts now, there are still many posts that get lost easily amongst all the BS posts.

Again, my advice is to ignore it. Idealistically, people would get the hint and stop posting ridiculous stuff but they get the attention they crave and keep on posting. Nature of the beast being a public forum though, we will never be attention seeker/troll free.
You know when there was limited posts I used to read pretty much everything, nowadays I usually look for names I know (such as with this post) and read those posts and just have a quick glance at the titles of the others and just take a look at one or two of tose if it looks like I may be able to help.

Does anyone now feel like there can be too many new posts each day?
Absolutely. If I want to return to a post, it seems like it takes forever to find it. Sometimes within an hour or two it is on another page. I have to sift through a billion "Am I Pg?", "What SHould I Expect...?" or any other number of questions that have been asked and answered a million times a day for years.

thats ok.... this is a free forum, and being one, means people can post anything under the sun..... you just have to take it or leave it.... there's been gazillions of dramas here before im glad it's now as rare as the raindrop on a hot summer day ....

i myself dont come to this forum as often as i use to.... but i still peek in from time to time to see positive news from people who hang in here, drama or no drama....

just vent out my dear.... we're all here to read... or not.... hehehehe
MedHelp is a unique community, that's for sure.   I'm always astounded by some of the things I've read here.  
There has been a person or two recently that is posting things that aren't true. I don't think they are doing it on purpose. I think they actually think those things are true. It is irritating me as well. Only a matter of time probably before I start calling people out. I would just try to ignore stupid ppl.
I know how you feel...When I joined 6 months ago there was a big thing that was going on over in the womens forum dealing w/ a girl who had an abortion. It was so heated, I didn't know what to think, I wasn't sure if it was like this all the time or not. Fortunately, I found a great group of ladies (you all know who you are:) here who have helped me so much through the months of ttc, and the joys of finally becoming PG, and for that I am so greatful. I guess you have to deal w/ all the ugly/drama as well as the wonderful legit ppl on here. I try to ignore it too, although sometimes I get sucked into it somehow, even when all I do is agree w/ someone...I hate when someone thinks an opinion opposite of theirs is 'wrong' or 'being rude'..I try to be respectful as much as possible and stay away from drama tht pops up ocassionally...I don't want that to ruin all the good I have gotten out of this site. I must admit- I am guilty of repeat-asking ?'s..I don't always see the others, because there are so many to wade through. I do the same thing, I look for the names I know and the posts that seem pertinate to me or the positive ones...It will probably never go away, but it is part of open forums...
I agree! I used to bother reading every post, now I look at the names also, and read the titles. If it doesnt sound right I dont even bother!
I HATE ALL CAPS ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS COMBINED WITH ABSOLUTELY NO PUNCTUATION IT MAKES MY HEAD HURT AND MAKES ME GRUMPY
Thank you!   At least now I know I'm not alone.   I'll try harder to ignore those posts.
Honestly, I liked it better when we had a limit on new posts.   Like Andi said it's very annoying when you want to find a certain post and it's pages back within a few hours.
And I avoid the ones who TYPE ALL IN CAPITALS, it gives me a headache.

I personally am fed up with all the whining......
Thanks, Milk, now I need an advil ; ) How's baby boy? Made any progress on names?

I have a long list of things i avoid, too many to list. I guess y'all should just feel blessed when I grace your posts with my responses. Afterall, it is an awfully long trip down from my high horse ****tee heee****

I think that with all the changes MH has made over the years, they should include a spellchecker and an edit button. And something that prohibits all caps and crappy punctuation. Ahhh, that would be spiffy.

Anyone want to see the fruits of my labor? I just spent a few weeks remodeling my kitchen. Still not done, but nearly there : )
I love to see remodels.  What did you all do? We will be remodeling our kitchen soon.  
I'm so honored that you came down from your high horse to bless my thread!
hahahahahaha!!!!!!     I've never really thought of you as a high horse kind of person.
Well, you may very well be the only one ; ) Whenever someone disagrees with me on here, the first words out of their mouth is "get off your high horse" Funny because i don't really care for horses, let alone heights : )

As far as the remodel, I painted, replaced the floors, replaced the countertops, replaced all the lighting and the faucet, I redid the cabinets, moved the fridge to an empty wall and in its original place i added more counterspace and cabinetry. I also refinished the appliances and added new hardware to the cabinets. I am not done with the new section though, I haven't made my way back into town to get the new hardware, I am not done yet, but this is a shot of the progress (please don't mind the mess in the last two pictures ; ). I have made some minor changes since the pictures, such as tying back those dang drapes so they don't look so raggedy ; )

I need to finish adding the cabinets around the fridge, and replace the cabinets over the new counterspace. I will be adding 3 full size cupboards over that area, a full size cupboard next to the fridge and the smaller ones seen in the last pick will go over the fridge. I already have the base cabinet in place, now I just need to set the countertop in place. It is just resting on the cabinet right now : ) Come spring I will be replacing all our applianbces and changing from a countertop microwave to a range hood/microwave combo. I will happy to get rid of the coil burners and will be going to glass top. I cannot wait until the run gas out here in the sticks!!

It has been a lot of fun and I am proud to say I have done 99% of thw work myself while my dh has been busy doing the landscaping.  

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/AndiJ1978/?action=view&current=f4a581b7.pbw
wow andi i think we could be the same person with our attitudes.  
if your obligation is to your children, why are you here arguing with me?  where are your children?  i never said you had any obligation.  you dont have any obligation here.  it is just hard to sit here being a first time pregnant woman and have so many different facts to sift through and know that there is someone here who apparently knows all of the answers and knows how much wrong info is here and is just sitting back complaining about it instead of giving examples of the wrong info.  it just doesnt seem helpful on this site at all.  it, infact, is a bit scary.  i have read 11 books and spent hours asking my doctor questions and looking on the internet at real documented information.  it all contradicts.  if you find info that could seriously hurt someone than you may not have a real obligation, but you should have a moral obligation to mention it.  Noone has asked or appointed you to sift through anything, but if you stumble upon it, dont you think it may be worth your time to set it straight for the rest of us.  Sometimes when you read things and it becomes relevant to you months later you remember something that you read but dont remember exactly that it came from some idiot on the internet.  I do agree that all of the am i pregnant questions are annoying because if they cant figure out to buy a hpt like the rest of us did then they have no business operating a computer, however some of the stories nomatter how off the wall can be true.  being one of the people with the off the wall stories (not as bad as others) it is hurtful and irritating to hear you claim that they are lieing.  People such as myself come here to offer comfort to people who have the odd, unexplainable things happening because we have already been through them.  It isnt often that you can look something like low hcg levels up and actually get a reassuring story such as mine.  since you have been here for a while you should know that all of the posts have a caption explaining what it is about.  if it is irritation to you, skip it. The long bar on the right side of your computer screen lets you scroll down fast and easily.  you dont have to click and read about things you dont want to, but it may be relevant to others.  In addition, some things may seem redundant but if one symptom is off, it may not seem like a big deal to you but it is to that person.  One different symptom is a whole different problem and they deserve to ask about their personal problem.  Since you are a mom yourself, you should remember that the first 14-15 weeks of pregnancy are the most terrifying, scary, anxiety producing time of your life.  You could feel fine and reassured by your doctor and 10 minutes after you leave the office you think your baby has passed.  This is a good way to let these people get their anxiety out and know that others are feeling the same way.  You should be sympathetic to that.  If you are currently not pregnant and are not here to help wouldnt it be wise to find a different place for you and your friends to congragate?  Like a place for parents and not pregnant people.  As a matter of fact, wouldnt your energy be put to better use if you wrote a book or started your own web site since you are so wise?
I had the same plan with Bub. I hated Jonathan, but loved Avery. I figured that on paper he would be Jonathan but that I would call him Avery. I'll be damned if he didn't come out looking like a Bubba,lol. Actually, he really did strike me as a Jonathan.

I LOVE his name. Dylan and Brody are great names no matter which order you put them in. Is he kickin yet? I have to say that is the thing i miss most about not being pg, those little flutters and eventual assualt on your insides. Sadistic, huh?

Let me know what you think of the pics. I kind of rushed the photo taking, when it is done i will set up a better slideshow.
My computer at work won't let me look at the pictures.  I'll check them out at home.  Thanks for sharing!  
Must be a gov't thing. My dh can't access photobucket at work either ; )

I am anxious to hear what you guys think.
it would probaby be good if you pointed out some errors.  we come here for answers and if there is wrong info id like to know.  id also like to know if i have wrong info myself so i can change my ways now instead of finding out after i have hurt my child.  thanks.
This website is full of incorrect information. As it states clearly everywhere on here, this is not a subsitute for professional medical advice. All too often people come on here looking for others to condone their reckless actions, when their choices are questioned, a blow-up occurs.

Again, it is not up to us to keep your baby safe, ALWAYS check information with your OB or pediatrician.

This can be a great place for support, but support doesn't mean that everyone agrees all the time. I am one who refuses to sit back and watch others give incorrect or reckless advice and often create a stir with my comments. But if it helps just one person make a better decision, I'll gladly wear the crown of the old cow ; )
alright, i am new here and found this thread to be quite rude, to be honest.  i understand that many of you have been here for a while and some of us have not.  that does not mean that we can not post here.  if you would like to have your little close knit group of pals than go for it.  there are plenty of places you can do that.  this happens to be a public forum where many people come for COMFORT and to ask questions that seem like they could be answered by people who have already experienced it.  I am not asking you to protect me or my child.  My point was that if someone has posted something that is incorrect, maybe you, as a decent human being, could help to correct it.  Since there are a bunch of us, as you so rudely pointed out, many of us are getting this bad advice.  If you have had experience with it, let us know.  Isnt that what this site is really for?  It seems like you have absolutely no business being here yourself if you can look at something on a medical site that is meant to HELP eachother and just ignore something that you know is wrong.  that is just immoral!  Now, if you have bothered to read any books or pages and talk to you ob you would realize that everything you read is contradictory.  One big example is eating lunch meat.  most books and sites will tell you how bad it is for you.  when i talked to my ob, as you suggested, she told me that it was perfectly fine and in her 30 years she has never seen anyone come down with lysteria which is the concern with lunch meat.  she said it could be deadly even if you werent pregnant and you wouldnt stop eating it, so why stop when pregnant.  it is that kind of stuff that we could come here and ask that you may think is wrong when it is perfectly fine.  if you have some sort of problem with the info that is being posted and have first hand experience with it then you should take your time to respond with your experience instead of complain about it.  it seems to me that on these sites you have a bunch of people telling their story.  whether it is wrong or not it is their story and im sure they arent coming here to lie.  now you have gotten my rude, pregnancy hormone ridden response instead of the rather nice one i posted before.  i hope that you are having the same hormones and you are not as horrible of a person as you are coming off as being.
Being the rude person I am, I will keep this going, but answer me this:

Would you take the advice of random people on the Internet over your OB's advice? Your child's pedi? If so, you need to find new docs. Now there are plenty of medical professionals who are known to offer bad advice and it is up to us as consumers to research information on our own. BUT that doesn't mean taking the advice of people in the Internet. YOu have lucked out in finding this place, you have a few nurses and lots of moms on here. But at the same time, that doesn't mean we are obligated to pick through every single post to police the bad advice. Simple fact of the matter is that there are far too many posts that contain ill informed opinions and this place doesn't pay me to police it. And you will  see me pop in from time to time to give my input on the garbage advic4e on here, but that is not my duty. My duty is to my children.

The world is full of conflicting views. I use my background, experiences, and education to offer advice. But I will not waste my time answering questions about cycle days, pg tests, or generally over asked questions. Sleep scheudles, feeding questions, etc are getting equally as boring as they are asked several times a week or month. My answer never changes, we signed up to be moms, which means we have also agreed to sleepless nights,

Be offended if you want, call me rude if you must, but know it doesn't matter to me. I have been on here for years and have offered plenty of advice. I do not owe it to you to do more than I have already done.
Darn, I can't access photobucket from work anymore! I'll check out your progress when I get home.

We've been butting heads about the name, but I believe we've finally come to a compromise- Dylan Brody Page. Dh got to pick the first name, and I took the middle name. When the day of his arrival comes, I may try to flip flop and make mine the first name, but we'll just have to see. :)
Now, with that being said, will you really take the advice given and run with it? Seriously? For your information, my children are sleeping, all three of them.

I know what it is like to be a first time mother, I also know what it is like to lose not one, but five pregnancies. But i also know that nothing I ever found on the Internet fixed any of that. I realize it offers piece of mind, but do you know how many times not only me, but other people on here have offered good solid, sound advice, only to have the same person post the same quesiton 5 minutes later because she didn't like what we said? Why waste the keystrokes?

Look, when it is something that I feel like i can offer advice on that won't go wasted, I will post. but it is not my obligation, moral or otherwise to keep tabs on everyone's children or pregnancy. I could write a book with all the trolls stories on here, the embelleshed tales who have gotten members emotionally involved only to later find out it was a lie, the countless number of people who beg and plead fro tips on getting pg, depite not being married or even in a committed relationship, not having health insurance, not have a reliable roof over their heads, having too many kids as is, unable to make ends meet, unwilling to go along with basic safety measures because it is simply inconvenient. The list goes on and on.

The original spirit of this thread for a few of us to vent about the trolls and BS posts amongst one another so we didn't blow up on someone elses thread. I would figure someone who is "new" here would respect the fact it was kept here and not spread throughout the website.
\
When that crystal ball comes in that tells me the paternity of unborn babies or whether someone is pregnant, I will gladly post on those threads. Until then, I will just skip on by and wait for the the BFP post, then the post that ******* about every ache and pain of pregnancy, then ******* about how badly they want to just get the baby out, then ******* about how they can't shut their baby up to get sleep, and then they cannot wait to stuff the baby's mouth full of **** they don't need, can't seem to figure out the supply and demand system of nursing, and still can't seem to get why the baby doesn't come out sleeping 12 hours straight a night.

You might say I am a little frustrated here, but i am still here offering advice to women when I see it is something that really needs it.

NOw I will kindly bow out of this conversation. My baby is awake and would like to nurse. Have a wonderful night and when you have been on here for a while and have seen the same old garbage time and time again, we'll see how you feel. I know I am not alone, but perhaps one of the few who have actually said all of this aloud. No this is not directed at anyone in particular, but rather a collection of people over the last 4+ years on here. Some worse than others. My single biggest complaint is the women that will do all of this bitching without a single thought for the countless women on here who would gladly give anything to switch places with those complaining women if it meant finally having a baby. Aches, pains, bloating, and all..
andi    im sure my husband thoroughly appreciates you as he has not gotten to enjoy my bitching at him tonight.  if you have managed to hang around here for over 4 years i can see your frustration.  As much as it pains me to admit it, i think i have taken your complaining out of context and can now see more accurately what you take issue with.  Enjoy your time with your old timer buddies (not being rude) and i will keep my new self out of your thread.  By the way, could i be pregnant?  i havent gotten my period in 7 months and i get my feeling hurt when people arent even talking to me?  just kidding.  have a good night.
Hmmm, my crystal ball says to ask again later ; )

It is hard being a "newbie" in an established group and I certainly don't want you getting the wrong impression of this place. It is a great source of help and support. Many of us here do take our spare time to answer questions when we are able to. But it is hard to find those who really need help when having to sift through tons of repetitive posts asking the same 4 questions over and over.

And to answer your question as to why I am still here, it is quite simple. Because every once in a blue moon you find someone who inspires you. Who makes you ever so thankful for your blessings in life and who you pray day and night for. And when that someone, and she knows who she is, finally gets to realize her dream, it makes all the crazy stuff on here seem so small.  

And occasionally, I actually get to help someone make it through their day, continue nursing their baby despite their doubts,help someone make the right decision and to sometimes help some women put their minor inconveiences of motherhood into perspective.

Now really, I do hope you have a good night and hope that you can see this particular thread was just a little vent session. Plenty of others take up threads to vent about work, a negative test on their 3rd DPO (c'mon ladies quit testing so damn early!), the size of their big toe, whatever strikes their fancy. It is healthy for some of us to decompress once in a while ; )
I'm sorry you had to take the brunt of this thread.  
I couldn't look at the pictures last night because my two little darlings needed my attention.   I look forward to seeing what you've done to the house.

For being a "newbie" you sure know alot about the discussions on this board.  
You are precisely what this thread was about.  This thread wasn't intented to be rude but I needed to vent so I wouldn't go off on a tangent and start singling out people.  You are the rude one - singling Andi out.    
Oh my...I just came by to tell Andi that I AM feeling kicks!! Even some on the outside, but dh has missed all of those so far. It seems like every time he puts his hand on my gut, the baby decides it's nappy time.

Maybe it's time that one of us posts an open forum of "helpful hints" for the new girls? Of course, some may take offense to it, even if we put it nicely...
Wooo hoo!! That is awesome. All my boys played that coy little game. I swear JOhn thought i was insane "Quick, come feel him, he is going nuts in there. I swear you will be able to feel him from the outside" Then as he crossed the room and placed his hand on my belly, they stop moving. As soon as John would settle again back in his seat, they would start again! He decided he would fool the baby and just sleep with his hand on my belly. My nephew used to do it to me to. My SIL would get all excited and as soon as I put a hand on her belly, he would stop! I started to get a complex ; )

And i think you are right about the reaction to a newbie thread. Inevitably someone would get peeved and it would turn into a crazy argument.

BTW, so people don't think I hacve a horrible potty mouth, the edited words were: b-i-t-c-h-i-n-g and c-r-a-p I suppose I could have said complain, but the other was quicker to type for some reason ; ) I suppose the former is a potty word, but it fit in this case.

Did you get to look at the pictures yet , Lisa? I actually wnated to upload them to Yahoo as everyone can see that, but Yahoo is getting rid of their pictures. So anyone who has some stored there needs to transfer them to somewhere else. They will do it automatically for you.