Who has had an amnio before? Can you tell about it a bit? Was the procedure painful? Was after painful? Recouperation? cramping?
Of course this is #2 with me now....never had one done....my first, they gave me positive results on my blood work for my baby that there was the risk of down syndrome....I opted for the u/s and took the measurements of the baby as my deciding factor....and did not get the amnio.
The doctor told me my latest results and of course they came back again, same results....the tri 18 and neural came back negative.....so I have the option of the amnio with the u/s as well.....told hubby about it...he does not want me to do the amnio and says there is no reason and all is fine....he thinks it is just scary and that is how they do things....
Last preg., I was nervous about the same thing and felt secure but a little nervous on the baby ...but she turned out fine.
Guess I just am concerned as I was the last time...when I was scheduled on #1, I had the u/s and then the tech was there to do the amnio...I decided against it while on the table there....he agreed with me stating that the blood work is not always accurate and that the measurents were great and he agreed with me....and I have a healthy 4 y.o. now.
Anyhow, I guess that is the step I will take this time around and do the u/s first...and then decide that moment what to do.
Any opinions and if you know more about the test, let me know.
ive had concerns too. im 35. i dont think ill do an amnio. if my baby had downs then im going to love him.her the same. so why spend months worrying? unless there is a specific need, at this point i think ill pass.
I had an amnio for this current first pregnancy (now in week 32) even after having 3 earlier m/c's. My DH and I had made a decision before trying to get pregnant at all to have an amnio b/c of higher risks of my age (36), and though I felt less motivated to do so after having 3 m/c's b/c of risks for another m/c from amnio, I decided to go ahead b/c risk of m/c from amnio was about same as risk for DS with baby. My blood test screening odds weren't horrible but based on my age they were slightly elevated and these screening tests aren't that accurate. Amnio is most accurate you can get (over 99%). Risk of m/c from amnio has come down a lot in recent research, though obviously still a risk. I suggest if you know ahead what you would do with the info --- either terminate or want to know for being prepared how to raise a child with DS, then worth having an amnio; otherwise not worth it. In terms of the procedure, it was fine for me. Slight cramping afterward that day but back to normal next day and no bleeding or loss of fluid. My advice and what I did is to go to the best place/doctor available in your area. My OB does them in her office but I chose to go to a pregenetic clinic at the major hospital in my state b/c they do many more every day and I knew the risk of something going wrong was mostly based on experience of doctor doing the amnio. It was a quick procedure and worth doing. Fortunately in my case, results were normal and helped me enjoy the continuation of my pregnancy after worrying each time I miscarried for 3 early times. I'd be sad and regretful if I m/c again from amnio but fortunately that didn't happen to me.
I have the option of amnio and I'm not even bothering. I'm not even bothering with the blood work before the amnio step. I look at it like this. It is not going to matter what's wrong with my baby. I'm still going to love it and we will find out when it's born. My doctor doesn't seem concerned at all and he's a high risk OB. But I suppose some ppl want to know. Especially if there is a history of problems in their family. I don't have any problems like down syndrome or anything. There is always a small chance of the place where they put the needle not closing up and you start leaking fluid. It doesn't happen a lot, but I've heard of it. My doctor seems to think its a unnecessary risk. But good luck with whatever you choose.
I had an amnio done for both of my pregnancies. I actually had two done on the second one. Both of my kids came back that they were at higher risk for downs syndrome. Both amnios came back fine. The second time I had one done on my second child was due to me leaking amniotic fluid and they inserted a blue dye into my uterus and put a tampon in me and if any of the blue dye came out on the tampon then I was still leaking fluid, but everything turned out fine. Anyway, they aren't that painful. You may just want someone there to hold your hand. Some drs give you a shot of novacaine before inserting the amnio needle, but my dr felt only one shot was good enough and he was right b/c the last amnio I had they numbed it first and that really didn't matter much. It is uncomfortable, but I would do it again!! It doesn't really hurt after it's just the inital injection that is painful and it only lasts a few seconds.
I'm in the same boat as you! I'll be 34 when baby #2 is born. My blood results combined with nuchal translucency measurement showed the risk for trisomy 13 and 18 decreased dramatically, but the risk for Down's increased to 0.4% chance. So there is a 99.6% chance that baby is 'normal,' and yet I worry like crazy. I have decided to have the u/s with a perinatologist in my 20th week (May 21). Her measurements should be able to better determine if the baby is Down's or not. I am choosing to do this step before amnio. We went through nearly the same thing with DD five years ago, but that was from results of triple screen, which has a higher false positive rate. We did the u/s with the same perinatologist who told us baby looked normal, and she was. But I still worried about it for the next 20 weeks!
I am currently 16 weeks preg with my second.
I did have one with my first. It was a day before I have my planned c-section. I had him at 37 weeks. The amnio was to see if the lungs were fully developed. They do not take a lot of fluid out. it may look like it but it isn't. It doesn't hurt, only a little uncomfortable. Just so you know your baby is monitored the whole time and they monitor you and the baby for a while afterwards to make sure everything is fine. Doing an amnio will put your mind at ease. I know some people are against it, but if it for the baby and too see if there maybe any issues then I would do it again. As with this one I will have to have a planned c-section also so I may under go another one.
I will not lie I was terrified when I was told I need to have one. Mainly because I just thought of the needle and it going in my stomach, but it is not bad at all. If their are any question or concerns you can always ask your Dr. My dr was really helpful. I hope that I have helped a little. The main reason why I was ok with having to have the amnio is becasue of everything that I had went through in the earlier part of my pregnacy. I had to have Brain surgery for a tumor when I was 25 weeks preg and so we didn't know if my tumor was growing through out the rest of my pregnancy. that is why my dr wanted to do the amnio in the first place to make sure there weren't any suprises that would arise when I had my c-section.
Right now I am 16 week preg with my 2nd and so far to this day I have no re-growth!! :-). What ever decision you decide to make, do it for your self and not what other people say. Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy.
Hi I have a post regarding my experience with the amnio. On April 14th I went in to go over results w/my dr. regarding the blood screening test. I am 38yo and since my results were "elevated" for risk of down's my husband and I opted for amnio. Please know that no matter what the amnio results would have been we were going to love the baby just the same, we just wanted to selfishly be "prepared" emotionally. Anyhow long story made short..about an hour after the amnio i began gushing amniotic fluid and was admitted in to hospital for 4 days at which point I was told that the baby had no more fluid and that I had the oiption to terminate or better yet in his words "evacuatre the uterus". I opted to be disharged from hospital and come home and pray. i have continued to leak but not everyday and very little. The last time I leaked was 5 days ago. I wnt in to Dr. (different one because I changed) and he measured my fluid which is now at 11 which is for now good. I pray everyday, every moment that my leaking stops all together and that my fluid levels keep on going up. i dont know if this will help in your decision but do remember that there are risks and they are REAL. My Dr. is one of the the best peri's and his ratio are 1 in 2000 risk of miscarriage and although my baby and I are still hanging on, look at what happened to me. I will pray for you that you make the right decision. God bless you!
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.