Why can't they see my baby in an ultrasound when my HCG levels are so high?
My doctor says that my HCG levels suggest that I'm 7-8 weeks pregnant, but we really have no idea. The last time I had sex before finding out that I was pregnant was on 12/9/08, so I am at least that far along. My cycles are extreamly irregular and I have not had a period since mid-november.

Thursday 1/8/09: HCG Level 37,853
Monday 1/12/09: HCG Level 86,076

I had a little bit of spotting on Friday 1/9/08, so my doctor sent me out for an early ultrasound. They could only make out a fetal pole (questionable) and a very faint heartbeat. The doctor does not sound very optimistic and says that in his experience it sounds like I will more than likely miscarriage.

I'm trying to stay calm and not stress but the waiting is killing me. I had another blood test for HCG yesterday and will get the results back tomorrow. My doctor is having me wait until next Thursday (two weeks from the first ultrasound!) for another ultrasound.

Since my HCG was over 37,000 when they did the 1st ultrasound, why couldn't they see the baby? The doctor suggests blighted ovum but that doesn't sound right to me.
Really fast-rising hCG can be associated with molar pregnancy.  However, if they saw a fetal pole and heartbeat, it doesn't sound like molar.  I don't know what to suggest (unless, of course, you have an ectopic molar pregnancy somewhere else in your abdomen and a uterine pregnancy too, which doesn't make a bit of sense.)  Maybe it is just a function of the wide range of normal in beta hCG counts.  Wish I had a better answer.  I would see if the doctor will schedule you for an ultrasound in a week.