Wonder why it went this way?
My  daughter was expecting her first child.  She went for her visit --no heart beat.  They scheduled her to come back one week later to have an vag. ultrasound at the hospital.  If they found no heart beat, they were going to do a D AND C.  They found one with 128 beats per minute and the fetus growing right on schedule.  They told her everything would be FINE.  We were so happy.

She went back this past week on the 22.  Sadly, they told her the baby had stopped growing and they could not detect a heartbeat again.   I advised her to have another ultrasound at the hospital before they did a D AND C.
She did have the ultrasound and they found no heartbeat ....  Could they still have made a mistake.
I have never heard of anything like this.
Worried grandmother
This happened to me 3 times, I'm sorry to say.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

On a happy note. ....I do have 2 healthy, beautiful children.

My 3 losses came in between my children.
So this can happen?  I appreciate you sharing. And I am so glad you have the 2 healthy children.

I kept thinking maybe they did not know what they were doing.

No - I mean of course they can make mistakes but it can happen.

My children were alive one day and not a week later.  With the first two, I miscarried naturally at home over a 3 day stretch.

With the 3rd, they could not detect a heartbeat for 3 straight weeks so I allowed them to schedule the d & e.....I was devastated and second guessed it over and over again, and still do to this day.  But allowed the d&e even after they checked for a heartbeat and checked my hormone levels all over again on the day of the procedure.

I feel for your daughter.  This time in my life was the most devastating....But I have 2 wonderful children here on earth and 3 in heaven waiting for me.
This happened to me as well.  We saw the baby's heartbeat 7 times the first 13 weeks and went in for an ultrasound and boom, no heartbeart.  We did another one before the D&C and again, no heartbear.  It's heartbreaking, especially after seeing your baby and the heartbeat but it is VERY common as ultrasounds are done early on now and the rate of miscarriage is so high.  I wish your daughter, and you, peace with this.  IT's hard but it does get easier and I just remember, I have my own little angel in heaven.
I'm so sorry for you all.  I also had a m/c, in between my 2 little guys too.  I hope she feels better soon, give her lots of hugs.