Maternal & Child Community
Worried! Baby small for gestational age

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Worried! Baby small for gestational age

I am really starting to freak out now - my baby has been measuring smaller (by about 2 weeks) from the start for her gestational age.  I have a level 2 u/s done yesterday, and baby is measuring about 21-22 weeks when I should be almost 24 weeks by DOLMP.  My due date has been pushed out numerous times - started at Aug 20, went to Aug 24, then to Aug 30, now after yesterday she measures a due date of 9/05.  All genetic testing came back normal and all structures look fine, Dr. just said she is small, but my husband and I aren't small, nor are our families.  Can ANYTHING be affecting her size???  I also don't have normal amount of amnio fluid - that's a little low too.  I am really worried - should I be?????  HELP!!!
I've heard people say that their babies are big or small and their babies turn out just fine.  the ultrasound is just a guestimate.   at this time I would wait to see I'm sure they will keep an eye on it..   good luck
I think you are ok because if your doctor is concern, he will put you on a regular schedule for U/S and will make you do a NST weekly.  I had to do that towards the last month because my baby was measuring small.  My ds was 5lb 10oz when he was born.
Good luck
I agree...if your doctor isn't overly concerned I wouldn't worry too much.
I was the opposite, my sac measured small for my baby (which I believe is worse cuz they have less fluid)
They did get me in for early ultrasounds to keep watching and the sac was still measuring behind but it was still growing as was the baby so they aren't concerned.
I'm now 15 weeks now and so far so good.
Maybe you will just have a small healthy lil peanut :)
Mom627 - it sounds like she's still measuring two weeks small,  as she has from the very beginning.  Is it possible your dates you calculated were off,  and she's right on target for actual gestational age?

It doesn't sound like she's losing ground,  but maintaining the same gestational age throughout - is that right?

Best wishes.
US are not always accurate for sizes, as your baby is growing at a consistent rate I would say she is just fine.
I can tell you I've had three little girls all measured anywhere from 2wks-4wks small during the duration of my pregnancies and the pregnancy I'm on now, has been the same.  With my first three there were no reasons for it, I'm average size and my family is quite large.  But my husband has a fairly small family all of my girls were born near the original due date not the adjusted altrasound dates and all were healthy just small.  Under 6lb so I wouldn't worry.  Sounds like your docs on top of it and I'm sure you're baby will be fine.  Good luck to you.
Im in the same boat as you but worried my baby is to big!  I went for my 21 week u/s 2 weeks ago and baby weighed 1 lb 12 oz!   Thats almost 2lbs and it is only suppose to weigh between 12-15 oz.  I freaked out but I also have 2 dd's that weighed 10lbs at birth.  Im just keeping that in mind.  You may just have a smaller baby....6 or 7 lbs.  Im trying not to worry either, Im sure your little sweetheart is going to be just fine!
Hi - I am certain of my dates as I was trackng them both online and manually.  My doctor thinks I may have ovulated late, which I hope is the case - my concern is that the date has been pushed out many times, and is now a week and a half past the first projected due date (after first u/s) of August 21.  It seems like with each u/s the baby's due date gets pushed farther out....that is why I'm worried.  Doctor at L2 u/s yesterday said he wanted me back in 3 weeks to re-do u/s, and that baby may just be 'constitutionally small', whatever that means.  I am somewhat smaller, about 120 lbs and 5'5, but my family is larger and my husband is 6'4 210 lbs.  My son was born a little small but was 2 weeks early at 6lbs 4 oz.  I'm just worried something is wrong - doctor was asking me about alcohol consumption (which has been a big ZERO since I found out I was pregnant), viruses, or other things I could have been exposed to.  

Thanks to everyone for your help and reassurance!
I was worried with IUGR too and started to look that up and freaked myself out.  With regular u/s and NST if needed, I am sure your precious peanut will be fine.  I am small 5'4 and 112 lbs but my DH is not, 5'8' 180 lbs.  Try to relax, I know it's hard but with today's technology, you and your baby should be fine.  Keep us posted!
I missed this post because of working.  However I am having the same issue.  More so that my baby is measuring a little behind, in the 10-25% percentile for size, and that was at 19 weeks.  Supposedly I'm having another full U/S soon, something about every 3 weeks being more accurate than every 2 weeks.  The reason mine is small however is because of the medications I was taking for and during my surgery and recovery.  They are worried enough about my baby being small that they have talked about taking her early this time to make sure there isn't anything else wrong.

What I'd be most concerned about is the level of amniotic fluid.  What have they said about that?  I had that problem with my 2nd daughter, and they were talking about inducing early if it didn't get better or got worse.
Thanks to everyone who responded!  I appreciate the reassurance and advice!!!  Good luck to all.
I just had my first US today and they said the baby was 6 weeks old - how can that be since it's may 1 and we had a positive preg. test on april 3? also that first week in april they said i was at 3 or 4 weeks. The doc said that the  chance of miscarriage (I'm almost 38, this is my first) went up from 25% to 50% and we need another US next week to see if the baby's growing. We did have a fetal heartbeat, etc. Anyone else with this problem?
Hi, I meant to say that they put me at 6 weeks pregnancy rather than 8...should i be worried?
You just have to trust your doctor. At 34 weeks gestation, ultrsound showed I was measuing in the 10th percentile with low fluid. OB did NST every other day and ultrasound at least once a week to monitor fetal distress. They told me we needed to keep the baby in me at least until the lungs developed but before my placenta cut off supply to the baby. At 36 weeks they did an Amnio to check lung maturity. I was induced at 37 weeks and had a very healthy but small (4 lb 15 oz) baby. Your doctor will know what to look for when it comes to IUGR. Keep track of your babys movements and take it easy. Stressing does not help. My baby is 4 weeks old now and perfect. I am sure everything will work out even if your baby is small. Hope everything goes well...
I have calculated that I am approx. 22 weeks pregnant. I have had 2 ultrasounds because at my first 20 week u/s, I was told by the technician that I was more than likely 18 weeks rather than 20. This worried me so I spoke with my doctor and she told me there is a certain margin of error (where they could be off either way) and that margin is about 2 weeks so not to worry. Then, I went in for my 2nd u/s a few days ago and she hinted that the baby was still measuring small with a few different comments. I called the on-call doctor today and the doctor reviewed the ultrasounds and asked me if I could be off with my last period, if my cycles were regular (which they are very regular), etc. Then, finished the convo saying that he was going to go over with my regular OBGYN and get back to me. I am pretty positive that I'm right on BUT if I am off, it could be because the pregnancy test is able to tell pregnancy up to 5 days before missed period so maybe it told me I was pregnant a little early? That, on top of our baby being a tad bit (normally) small, could be the 2 week difference, I think. I am keeping my fingers crossed. This is really freaking me out!
hi i am having the same problem, my baby is measuring up small on my 1st and 2nd scan! the only thing thats actually measuring up normal is hes stomach. im really worried as ive never been through this before. my 1st pregnancy was fine. thanks to everyone for your replies
Hi I am going through the same thing right now and I am 31yrs old. I had a small amount of bleeding which caused me to have an early scan that showed my baby in the right place with a heart beat but being only 6wks instead of 8wks. I was told that i am to prepare myself for a misscarrige as we new exactly the dates that we would have gotten pregnant it was highly unlikely that the scan was wrong. I have had days with a little spotting of blood and days with nothing at all but I have lost the feeling that I had in my breasts when i first found out I was pregnant. I havent had any cramps but do get back pain in the morning. I beleave your body will tell you that things are wrong and that you will start to feel as if all the signs from pregnancy are gone.

If you have had no bleeding and you arent clear on your dates then I think you should relax as things maybe fine. I do understand how hard it is to have to wait for your next scan as it is tearing me apart having to wait for the news of what is going on.

I wish you all the luck in the world xx
I am experiencing the same thing. I am 31 weeks and 6 days now but my latest ultrasound that was taken yesterday says that the age of the baby is just 27 weeks and 1 day. I haven't visited my OB yet. The sonographer told me that i might have been missed off my period, but that's impossible. My husband and I planned this pregnancy so I've taken all the details regarding it. I am starting to worried now since the developmental growth is delayed 1 month.