Maternal & Child Community
Worried 31 weeks and low fetal movement.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm 31 weeks and don't feel my baby move a whole lot. She doesn't respond much to  me drinking 2 glasses of cold juice/water/milk etc. I eat and wait for her to do somersaults but nothing. She moves but only a little. I've started to write down the kick count but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I also work so its kinda hard to sit still and concentrate on only her. Where can I get more information on this. I have a dr's appt on friday but not sure if i should wait til then. I'm I just being paranoid. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have to leave for work right now but hoping to be able to read replys later this after noon . Thanks!!

As my baby got bigger, he moved less for days at a time.  I read that this is very common once you hit the 3rd trimester and the baby has less room to move around.  He is now a healthy 6 mo. old, so everything was fine.  If your still nervous or uneasy, don't be afraid to give your dr. a call.  I think they're probably used to pg women calling with concerns.
It is common for babies to slow down at this point! You only have 9 more weeks to go! :) When I was 25 weeks, my baby slowed down for a couple of days and I freaked out. The nurses at my OB told me to drink a glass of really cold juice (or anything sweet) and then to lay on my left side. If I did not feel 10 movements in 1/2 hour then I should come it. That did the trick for my little guy! But, like you said...you're at work and it's not real easy to just plop down on the floor! lol As far as kick counts....I have read that you should pick a time when baby is usually active. Look at the clock and see what time it is. Start counting kicks until you get to 10 and note what time it is then. If you think it took too long, call the doc!! Every baby is different....my guy moves non stop...my best friend's son only moved a few times a day!  Good luck!!!
I also started having this problem about 30 weeks.  He slowed down and then would pick back up.  It has been on and off for him and I'm 36w1d.  Some days I hardly feel him.  I think it is normal.  They get bigger and run out of room in our belly's so they don't move as much.  If you don't feel anything at all for a day, I would be concerned.
Hi! I'm 35w5d and a few weeks ago I noticed my boy slowing down in his movements - and the movements started to change from jabbing kicks to more rolling, more wave-like motions, more brushes - since he's running out of room.  I mentioned it to my OB last week, and she said it's totally normal to feel less frequent and different kinds of movement.  She said a good indicator of him being ok is to count 10 movements in a 12 hour period.  If there's less than that, then call.  She said to ignore the books that say 10 movements in every hour, because everyone's babies are so different that the safer route is to count 10 in a 12 hour period.  I trust her implicitly, and so far, the little guy is doing just fine.  Good luck to you, and you can always call your doc (I know, I hate to do it, too).  
I felt the same way around this time, but everything was fine. I would call the doctor if it will make you feel better. That is what I would do. Usually you can go in and they will check the heartbeat. Good luck to you and I am sure everything is fine.
Hey, I had the same problem. When i mentioned it to the doctor she said that its just bc i am getting bigger. But went ahead and ran tests and found out its bc my placenta is fundle which is why i dont feel my daughter kick as much. You should bring it up to your doctor. They will probaly do a non stress test on you to monitor the movements and the heartbeat.
If this is a new situation with a dramatic slowdown of movement, you should definately call your doctor now and run it by them.  

Or if you are just concerned about it.  Never hurts to call.  Your doctor won't be mad or exasperated.  The only time they get frustrated about stuff like that, is when you agonize over it all day, and then call at 2am.

If it's really worrying you, just run it by the doctors office, sometimes they'll let you talk to the nurse.  It can be normal, but sometimes it is not, so let your doctors office decide on how best to advise you.  

You should contact your care provider as quickly as possible.  The chances are that everything is fine, but listening to other people's experiences is no substitute for getting properly checked out.