Maternal & Child Community
Worried about complet placenta previa at 20 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was diagnosed yesterday with complete placenta previa (I'm 20 weeks along). I've had 2 previous miscarriages with D&Cs and 2 fibroid surgeries (this has not been an easy road for us). This is my first successful pregnancy and the baby appears to be doing well. I'm looking for support from anyone who has had a similar situation with a positive outcome? My doctor informed me that because mine is a complete pp, it is unlikely that it will migrate away from the uterus by end of term. He also said that in women with previous c-sections, there is a 1 in 4 chance that the placenta will implant into the uterus requiring a hysterectomy immediately following the baby's birth. I'm pretty scared as you can imagine. Has anyone had a complete pp migrate away from the cervix by end of term? Any support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Well I had previa with my DD but it was not complete. It did migrate but I ended up with a C-section anyway due to other reasons. during the prenancy I did a lot of reading at Club Previa  - I website dedicated to this condition. You will find a lot of information and support there. You can find it here:  

http://members.aol.com/nofoolkc/

Good luck to you!
this happened to me also.  They said that they saw the egg sack but no heart beat was present.  The docs were ready to schedule a d& c for me.  I tol them I wanted one more ultra sound.  We waited until the following week and did an ultra sound.  The found the heart beat!!!  I am now 8 months pregant w a healthy baby boy.  The docs couldn't explain why the egg sack was forming before the baby.
I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with my first and have been on complete bed rest since 19 weeks due to a complete. I started having bleeding ( twice) and now I can't do anything. My bleeding was light, not heavy, but bright red. Luckily, I have a lot of good medical advice surrounding me. My uncle is a gyn-onc and I also work for 2 gyn-oncs that do the stand-by's for c -sections for the previas in case of massive bleeding. Per my uncle and the two drs. I work for; completes rarely move. If it was a marginal or even a partial, 90% of the time they "move" based on the more extensive medical training that they have had with previas. My OB just stated that she wishes she could tell me my future. Unfortunately, she can't. I just have to keep having U/S to see what happens. Per my OB, more than likely it will not move and I'll have a c-section by 36 weeks. She plans on doing my amnio by 34-35 wks. Bed rest is horrible. Especially, because I want to do things like go shopping, go out to eat, etc. I wish I could work. However, I am thankful that I am at home. One more episode of spotting, etc. I go inpatient for the remainder of my pregnancy. Good luck to you. I wish you tons of support. Take care of you and yor baby. Keep me informed because complete are rare. Happy Thanksgiving.
I was also diagnosed with complete pp.  I am currently 34 1/2 weeks.  I had some bleeding at around 24 weeks and have been on bedrest since then.  I unfortunately don't have the most positive outcome other than the fact that I've held on to the baby for this long with no further bleeding.  I've had ultrasounds every 3-4 weeks to monitor any progression.  I was hopeful from day one, however things just progressed.  I did have a previous c-section and the placenta attached to my previous scar and grew into my uterine muscle and has partially attached to my bladder.  The attachment to my scar is termed Placenta Accreta.  I am scheduled for delivery next Wed the 7th for c-setion/hysterectomy and a possible resection of my bladder.  Doctor says there's a 5% chance that the hysterectomy may not be done.  Depends on what things look like when they go in.  Highly unlikely.  The only positive thing I can say is that they did recognize the condition prior to delivery and can plan the surgery well.  Believe me, I've done enough reading and learned many women have found out at delivery of accretas and end up bleeding uncontrolably. I will have a healthy boy.  I have a 19 month old daughter and am lucky for that.  I wish you better luck than I--what I have is quite rare, so hopefully your previa will correct itself.
My last pregnancy in 2004 started very early with previa and ended in m/c.  I just found out about five days ago that i'm pregnant again and I'm curious if this problem will plague every pregnancy I have from here on out.
i was diagnosed with placenta previa .. but not yet graded as to what extent it is at! i go for my 24 week u sound in march and im kind of worried it's my third pregnancy my oldest is 8 and i had a misscarriage and hoping nothing will happen to my baby im carrying now...any advice you could tell me...
I too have a complete pp. I'm now 35 weeks and have been on bed rest since week 31.My doc also says that It more than likely won't migrate.I've had 3 previous c-sections and 4 miscarriages.And I'm sure you won't believe that I'm only 23 years old! It's horrible when the doctor tells you news like that,but you have to have faith in the fact that your doc knows what they're doing.So,I wish all of you ladies a healthy delivery and Congratulations on your upcoming beautiful bundles.
well i have never experienced it but my SIL has...she was in the hospital for almost 2 months bc she had a bleeding episode in her bathroom and they told he if she goes home she might not make it to the hospital next time so they made her stay until the baby was born.. Her son was born at 29 weeks june 2nd weighting 2 and a half lbs.. He is still in the hospital weighting 6lbs now..he just needs to learn how to drink out of a bottle then hes home ..but yes she had complete placenta previa..she is fine and he is fine.  Just pray and I will keep you in my prayers.  Good luck!
All of you have some scary but remarkable stories. I was interested in the placenta accreta because i'm worried about it happening to me. I havent had any signs and my last sonogram was around twenty weeks but this is my fourth pregnancy and my three children i have now were delivered via c-section. I've read so much about this placental issue and it gets kinda scary. To read you all's messages and to see that there are some good outcomes from the c-sections reassures me. But i do hope and pray that i do not become a victim of this diagnosis. Thanks for sharing all your stories though, and good luck with any future pregnancies.
I am 20 weeks along and just came back from the doctors.  I was diagnosed with PP completely, I am 24 years old and have had no problems with my first pregnacy at age 22.  I don't understand why this would happen to me?  My doctor was acting like I should not worry but to take it easy.  Has anyone had a change in their placenta with PP complete?  I am also worried about all of the bleeding and the hysterectomy that might have to occur after birth.  thanks for all the hopefull stories!  Good luck to everyone.
placenta previa in pregnency with previuse c section is very dangerous, previa can transform in acreta or percreta wich is need to have a hysterectomy