Maternal & Child Community
Worried about possible incompetent cervix

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am about 5 weeks pregnant (I know, still early) but I miscarried Oct of 2003 and was told that it was probably due to an incompetent cervix, though the doc wasn't possitive, "these things just happen" I was told.  I really want to carry this baby to term.  Any suggestions on whether or not I should see a special doctor?  I'm not even sure how they can TELL if my cervix is incompetent.  I know the stitching procedure is called cerclage, but anyone know when they can do it and can it cause a miscarriage?  Thanks...
I had a LEEP procedure in 2001 or 2002 (can't remember) but anyway when I got pregnant they were worried about an incompetent cervix.  I had to have SEVERAL ultrasounds to make sure all was holding up.  They will monitor you very closely and if they see your cervix is opening they will put in a stitch to hold it and you may have to stay off your feet.  I am sorry you had a m/c but I would think at 5 weeks it was probably NOT due to an incompetent cervix.   Just make sure your ob/gyn knows of this problem beforehand and hopefully you should be fine.  There is no need for a special dr just a regular ob/gyn.  Good Luck and I hope all works out for you.
How far along were you when you miscarried last time?

If it truly was due to an incompetent cervix, you may need a stitch this time.  It is not usually placed this early.  A regular OBGYN who has experience placing cerclages can perform this procedure. The procedure does carry some risk in and of itself, although a physician is the best person to quantify that risk for you.

If you and your doctor aren't sure whether it was due to an incompetent cervix or not, you might want to gather up your records from your miscarriage and get another opinion from a specialist in high risk pregnancies.  Your doctor should be glad to refer you.  You don't necessarily have to change doctors, just get another opinion.
one of my dear friends lost her son, rory, at 23 weeks due to an incompetant cervix....we were all devistated, she was told she could never have children. the exact same day the next yr she got pg with ciara who is was born healthy and beautiful in april....the same day as her brothers edd. she had the stitch put in and was on bed rest and monitored carefully. And bored off her rocker!!!

so if this what is suspected in your case....i would go in and have you ob put u as high risk and they will monitor u closely and u can have a healthy baby.

i have had several m/c early (5 weeks- 9 weeks) there is nothing one can due to prevent those.....i had the babies tested it was the bc i was on when i concieved that killed them. i am sorry u have gone thru this, i know how hard it can be. needless to say i wont go on hormonal bc anymore.....i dont want to do that again.

good luck and lots of baby dust....kimmie
i think that would be the best decision.....a 2nd opinion. with your medical history of tubal and uterine rupture and possible incompetant cervix.....that would be the best to make sure this wee one stays where it should for the duration....keep me posted.

good luck hun......kimmie
I was 14 weeks last time I miscarried.  We thought I was "out of the woods" by then.  I was just shocked when he said that it could've been due to an incompetent cervix because it hadn't come up before in any of our conversations!  

I had an ectopic pregnancy 9 years ago and lost my right tube (it ruptured the length of it), had five staples put in my uterus due to a rupture (not sure how it was related, but I was assured that it was) and when I was under sedation, they found a blood filled cyst on my left ovary the size of a lemon, so we are glad and lucky to be pregnant again!  I just really want this baby.  I am 32, almost 33 (in 2 weeks)and don't want to wait much longer. I have not been on the pill for four years (it made me psycho).  My husband and I do not use any barrier methods but we did take a year long class (18 classes total) on Natural Family Planning.  It was wonderful!  My husband has a much better understanding and a new respect for my body and the way it functions.  To know how to recognize what one's body is going through, to recognize ovulation, is very empowering!  That is why I believe that I know my exact date of conception.  Anyway, back to the incompetent cervix issue, I think that a 2nd opinion with a doc specializing in high risk pregnancy is a good idea.  Also,  I know I'm not 35+ years, but could my age be a factor, too?
I recently lost my son Damion, July 3 05 bc of what my doctor says could be an incompentent cervix. I had a uti and when my cervix began to open the uti travelled upward and infected my membrane causing me to go into fullblown labor. What are the risks of trying to go through another pregnancy. I hear that the cervix can be stitched at around 13-14 weeks and everything will be ok.
My name is Holly. I am 20 years old. I am planning on going off the pill (i have been on it for 3 years now) in November. I hope to get pregnant right away so I can give the news to my in-laws and my parents as an xmas gift. Do people usually have problems conceiving the first few months they go off the pill? How does it work? I also want to lose weight before I have a baby. As it is I am not comfortable in my skin. If anyone has suggestions or would like to chat, please email me at butterfly_baybee2005***@**** I will respond to everyone!
Also, will you only conceive on certain days of the month? I can use as much information as I can