Maternal & Child Community
Worried sick! =(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Worried sick! =(

Well, as most of you guys know we are going down to Mexico CITY! this thursday and or course, with our luck, this flu c.rap breaks out just NOW.... and every body is panic-ing!... including the master of panics: me.

Well... I am not so sure what's going on... for what my family say: it's pretty bad but they haven't heard of  anything around in the area where they live. They've had 1 or 2 sick people (one death I think) in the same municipality... but it's a huge one and it was in the other side of it...

I am P..SSED that I am not gonna be able to eat tacos off the street booth that I so much looove!!! =((( DANG IT!

I guess my MAJOR concern, of course, is my little girl.... I am very afraid she will get that weird bug that from what I hear, there is no vaccination against it??? OMG...
The plane tickets are bought... the vacations are already agreed in our jobs.... everything is set! my baby's 1st. b-day party is already arranged and we have tons of people coming.... I mean, worse come to worse... we cancel or reschedule... but... how bad is it!?!? (I don't read or listen to the news... I can't stand it... so I'm not too sure what's the degree of all this).

I am very worried! =(

Thank you girls for any info you'd like to share with me, or any preventative measure... for instance I hear they recommend to wear gloves and a mouth cover??? (how in the heck am I gonna put a mouth cover on that little girl's face!!?! lol
I was JUST reading about the swine flu with my coworkers. Take 2000 IU at least of Vitamin D daily, drink tons of fluids and even if you feel silly, wear a mask and wash your hands constantly, including using hand sanitizer (even on the baby)!! I would be scared as well, especially for the little one! I understand your concern, because this is real!! Just take the proper precautions!
At ASU here in Arizona they were putting out fliers telling all the of the college students to not go to Mexico for Spring Break. Not only is the Swine Flu or whatever it is going on, but the drug cartel is all up in arms. Some of my friends decided to not listen to the fliers and went anyways and ended up getting pulled over and robbed. All they had left was the clothes on their back. I think if your flying into Mexico City that it might be safer then if you are driving but I hear that things are REALLY bad there right now. Ultimately its your decision but if it was me I would reschedule the whole thing. Better safe then sorry.
aweee.. mama.. i was just thinking of you as I was reading the article.. we are debating on whether or not to go to texas now because of all of this..  there has been a confirmed case in texas .. so im scared to death.. we are thinking of going down at a later time now.  if you still decide to go please be careful :)
Wow this is a really tough decision V, I know everything is set and you guys have all your plans made but I would really consider rescheduling. I feel like it is a really big risk to head into Mexico right now. Ugh, what a scary decision to make. Maybe some more people will have some good info for you. I am a worry wart so you might not want to listen to me :)
I just found this article for you hun...

WASHINGTON – U.S. officials advised Americans against most travel to Mexico on Monday as a swine flu virus that began there spread to the United States and beyond. With 40 cases now reported in the U.S., President Barack Obama urged calm, saying there was reason for concern but not yet "a cause for alarm."

Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said that so far the disease in the United States seems less severe than the outbreak in Mexico, where more than 1,600 cases have been reported and where the suspected death toll has climbed to 149. No deaths have been reported in the U.S, and only one hospitalization.

"I wouldn't be overly reassured by that," Besser told reporters at CDC's headquarters in Atlanta. He raised the possibility of more severe cases — and deaths — in the United States.

"We are taking it seriously and acting aggressively," Besser said. "Until the outbreak has progressed, you really don't know what it's going to do."

The U.S. stepped up checks of people entering the country by air, land and sea.

And Besser said a new U.S. travel advisory was being prepared suggesting "nonessential travel to Mexico be avoided."

The confirmed cases announced on Monday were double the 20 earlier reported by the CDC. Besser said this was due to further testing — not further spreading of the virus — in New York at a school in Queens, bringing the New York total to 28.

Besser said other cases have been reported in Ohio, Kansas, Texas and California. He said that, of the 40 cases, only one person has been hospitalized and all have recovered.

Countries across the globe increased their vigilance amid increasing worries about a worldwide pandemic. Obama told a gathering of scientists that his administration's Department of Health and Human Services had declared a public health emergency "as a precautionary tool to ensure that we have the resources we need at our disposal to respond quickly and effectively."

"This is obviously a cause for concern and requires a heightened state of alert, but it's not a cause for alarm," Obama said. He said he was getting regular updates.

The Senate has yet to confirm a secretary of human services, a surgeon general or a director of CDC. The absence of those officials left Besser and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to brief reporters on the swine flu outbreak.

The quickening pace of developments in the United States in response to the spreading new flu strain was accompanied by a host of varying responses around the world.

Mexico, at the center of the outbreak, suspended schools nationwide. A European Union official advised against nonessential travel to parts of the U.S. and Mexico, while China, Taiwan and Russia considered quarantines and several Asian countries scrutinized visitors arriving at their airports.

U.S. customs officials began checking people entering U.S. territory. Officers at airports, seaports and border crossings were watching for signs of illness, said Customs and Border Protection spokesman Lloyd Easterling.

While "the borders are open," Easterling said officials were "taking a second look at folks who may be displaying a symptom of illness."

If a traveler reports not feeling well, the person will be questioned about symptoms and, if necessary, referred to a CDC official for additional screening, Easterling said. The customs officials were wearing personal protective gear, such as gloves and masks, he said.

The CDC can send someone to the hospital if they suspect a case, but no one is being refused entry. Also, the CDC is readying "yellow cards" with disease information for travelers, in case they later experience symptoms.The border monitoring resembles that done during the SARS epidemic earlier in the decade.

Multiple airlines, including American, United, Continental, US Airways, Mexicana and Air Canada, said they were waiving usual penalties for changing reservations for anyone traveling to, from, or through Mexico, but had not canceled flights.

Besser said the best way to keep the disease from spreading is by everyday precautions such as frequent handwashing, covering up coughs and sneezes and staying away from work or school if not feeling well.

Besser said that for now he'd prefer people "not giving that little kiss of greeting that they're used to right now."

While the cases reported so far in the United States seem relatively mild, Besser said far more will be known about the disease's transmission traits and severity in a week or two. He said the particular virus at issue had not been seen before, either in the United States nor in Mexico.

U.S. authorities are not currently recommending that people put on masks in the workplace to protect against infection. The evidence "is not that strong" that the wearing of protective masks effectively limits the outbreak of such diseases, Besser said.

He said about 11 million doses of flu-fighting medications from a federal stockpile have been sent to states in case they are needed — roughly one quarter of the doses in the stockpile.

While there presently is no vaccine available to prevent the specific strain now being seen, there are antiflu drugs that do work once someone is sick. If a new vaccine eventually is ordered, the CDC already has taken a key preliminary step — creating what's called seed stock of the virus that manufacturers would use.

A private school in South Carolina was closed Monday because of fears that young people who recently returned from Mexico might have been infected. Officials of Newberry Academy in Newberry, S.C., said some seniors on the trip had flu-like symptoms when they returned.

State Department of Health and Environmental Control spokesman Jim Beasley said test results on the students could come back as early as Monday afternoon. To date, there have been no confirmed swine flu cases in the state.

Overseas stock markets fell as investors worried that the outbreak could derail economic recovery. U.S. stocks fluctuated as the swine flu threatened the travel industry, with major indexes modestly lower by mid-afternoon.

The New York City school where 28 cases have now been confirmed was closed Monday and Tuesday.

Also, 14 schools in Texas, including a high school where two cases were confirmed, will be closed for at least the next week. Some schools in California and Ohio also were closing after students were found or suspected to have the flu.

In Mexico, the outbreak's center, soldiers handed out 6 million face masks to help stop the spread of the virus that is suspected in up to 103 deaths. Most other countries are reporting only mild cases so far, with most of the sick already recovering.

Spain reported its first confirmed swine flu case on Monday and said another 17 people were suspected of having the disease. Also, three New Zealanders recently returned from Mexico are suspected of having it.

"It was acquired in Mexico, brought home and spread," Nova Scotia's chief public health officer, Dr. Robert Strang, said of Canada's first confirmed cases.

___

Associated Press writers Mark Stevenson and Olga R. Rodriguez in Mexico City; Frank Jordans in Geneva; Mike Stobbe in Atlanta; Maria Cheng in London and Eileen Sullivan and Robert Burns in Washington contributed to this report.
also i just read there was an earthquake in mexico city today.. yikes!!! wow.. theres some scary stuff going one
I read that it is not a very serious flu.  The deaths have been apparently in places in Mexico where there was not good medical care.  Only 8 Americans (that they know of) have had it, and it was mild to moderate (one had to be hospitalized).  Nobody with good medical care has had it even go to serious.

My pals live in Hong Kong, and when the bird flu scare was going on, they went out and had a lot of fun.  Movie houses were only about 1/4th full, etc. etc. because everyone was freaking out and staying home.  So, like my friends in the big city of Hong Kong, even people who are right in Mexico City -- odds are, nobody will be exposed.  It's a big population!

Up to you, though.
Oh and in Mexico City they closed all the schools and universities because of the disease and the people from Kansas who were infected had just returned from a trip to Mexico and were most likely infected while they were there.
I heard the same thing as Annie.  
LOL... thank you Annie, thank you Ang, thank you G, Alaysha and Jen!
Its up to 40 cases in the US now:

California   7 cases
Kansas 2 cases
New York City 28 cases
Ohio 1 case
Texas 2 cases
well, as you know i'm pretty laid back in comparison to you. Despite this, I would actually think twice before going. While it's possible that it's not a very serious flu, this may just be the beginning. Imagine the panic you would feel everytime Maddie sniffled or sneezed. If any of your family members sneezed near her... well... need I say more?

A relaxed person may be able to go and enjoy the lack of crowds... i seriously doubt you would be able to. Personally, I wouldn't freak out there as much as in the airport or on the plane. You can limit exposure to public while there, and stay close to your family's home. But you gotta get there somehow. If this was only a week later, and we had more information, I'd say go ahead and go. Since it's so early in the outbreak and we don't know where it's headed, I'd reconsider.
I think my biggest concern would be your baby. She's going to be the most vulnerable. I would be concerned too. You may want to consider rescheduling this, especially if the airlines are not going to penalize you as it sounds. They may get to the point where they close the borders. They are already closing the schools and daycares there. Mexico City is where the main outbreak seems to be, too. I'd really consider this carefully. If you do go, I'd have everyone wear the face masks, especially the baby, and bring sanitizer and wash your hands a lot! They said not to kiss and to stay away from anyone coughing, etc.
Be careful. It does seem to be spreading kind of fast. It could get real serious real fast.
I hope everything works out for you. I really do. I know how much you all have looked forward to this and it's a shame this has happened. Just be careful. I know you will be. Take care,
April
I guess I wouldn't want to find out how mild this flu is, even if that is what they're saying. Depsite taking proper precautions, I would be tempted to reschedule the trip. Tough call though! I know how excited I get when I have planned vacations...even with a threat like this.
Maybe you could ask Dr. Choi about his opinion on this? He has a running journal going on about this right now. Check your sidebar. It's called "Do I have Swine flu".
Everyone gave great advice, I have heard that doctors are fearing the worst with this one. IF I still went, I would be very leary of having her a party with more then just the grandparents there and knowing they are completely fine. I took Brayden to the doctor for his 12 month check up and his doctor asked me what our plans were to celebrate the big day and reminded me not to have it at a restaurant and to make absolute sure that everyone there was not in the least bit sick nor have they "just gotten over it". He said it is especially scary for the little ones.

Oh, and we had an earthquake here on Friday. 3.2 on the richter scale! They must be going on all over too!!
I guess Mexico just had an earthquake too. I just heard about it. Poor people. They're scared enough as it is.
I honestly don't think I'd go, but I'm a known wuss.  Never mind the flu--the violence alone would be enough to keep me away.

But....I don't have the time and $$ invested in the trip, either.  Tough call!  
I swear I heard on the news that airlines were allowing people to cancel their trips to and from mexico at no charge.  I'd check into that...although that stinks you have all the other plans. Me and my husband's entire fam all had to cancel our trip to Florida for his dad's wedding one year because of a stupid hurricane.  Ugh.  And we were all flying from different places.  We did get to use to tickets at another time, but the entire wedding was planned.  Lame
Vanessa, I'd be even more worried now.  I'm reading the reports of hysteria in Mexico.  People are being denied medication, and some are even being refused transport to hospitals by ambulance workers who fear contagion.

If you or God forbid your child got sick....would you all have access to adequate care?  Are you sure?  Would they even let you on a flight back to the US if you appeared very ill?

Oh jeez, Vanessa... a lot of people have some very good points here, but honestly what just struck me was peek's last comment/question about whether they'd even let you fly back to the states if you or your daughter appeared ill.  That may sound extreme right now... but certainly, if this keeps spreading over the next week or so they might panic enough where flights are canceled based on your health.  Having said that... I have nothing new to contribute aside from the fact that if I were in your situation (first off, it would stink big time!) I think I'd really be inclined to stay home.  Someone else mentioned that you may be able to get reimbursed for your tickets and that is certainly worth checking out.  It's really an awful decision that you're being forced to make, but I know how (overly, perhaps) paranoid I am and I would just hate to take that chance.  

So sorry this trip you've been waiting for is turning into one big headache!
I personally would cancel the trip until everything is cleared up down the.  I would talk to the airline about giving you a refund due to the fact that you are traveling with a small child.  As of right now our work is stopping all travel to and from Mexico.  People coming from Mexico will have to be screened and possibly banned from work if they show any signs of illness.  It is very scary right now and I dont think I would take that risk with my child....maybe if it were just me.
I found on a website that they were going to start putting the people who may have it in quarantine. I'm not sure if I would go at this time.
the violence and flu would cause me to stay home.  most likely you will go and be fine, but what if not?  i hope you can come up with a decision, sounds like a cr@ppy one to make!
I know the media is making a huge deal over all of this but the facts remain that there is a chance you could get it or God forbid your daughter.  My feeling is if it were the death of a relative and you needed to go, maybe I would go then.  If it is not urgent that you go there--why take the risk for you and your child.  I am sure you will get the chance to go again.  I know it is disappointing but why take the risk if you really don't have to?

Good luck with your choice
I didn't read the responses throughout the day but I did just read online that the US issued a warning that people should not be going to Mexico right now unless it is completely necessary.....
I know it makes it even harder since you have all this money invested.
ohhh nooo, I'm so sorry - what a hard choice to make.  Follow your gut instinct and if you do go, protect yourself and your little princess (masks, carry hand sanitizer, tissues,  etc).  I personally would not go at this time.  Just not worth the risk with an infant, even if it is a mild flu.
I would be much more daunted by the hysteria than by the risk of getting the illness (which does not seem great at this point, it is a city of at least many millions of people who do NOT have the flu).  There is even some discussion in the material I read that the flu shot for this season might offer some protection.  (I was pleased to read that, as my son and I did both have our flu shots this year.)  But even if the flu is mild, and even if the odds of getting it are slight (which is how I read the stuff I'm seeing), getting swept up in panics is not mild and that alone would be enough to make me stay home.  Can the party be postponed to a certain date in, say, three months?
Thank you everyone! thank you very much for your concern, great advice and most of all for your understanding! =) it really makes me feel good that a lot of people care about us. =))

I am paranoid! (well, yeah vanessa.... we all know that... what's new?), and I have been making phone calls and receiving phone calls from my friends and family down there.
One point I'd like to say: my parents don't live in Mexico city itself... they are in the outskirts, in a very nice, ritzy area where there is no violence what so ever. Violence is in the borders and in the 'bronx' of the city... like in many other cities even up here in the States. So, please don't think all Mexico is plagued with violence, media tends to blow things up when it comes to this. I mean, yes, it happens... but in the poor and nasty areas which we won't be traveling thru or visiting. I am not worried about that part.

My parents and I have been on the phone every day, and they keep me in the loop. Like I said, they are about 40 minutes from the city (without the traffic of course) and they know exactly when all these outbreaks have been happening: it seem to be (unfortunately) in the very poor areas, where people do not have insurance, do not have proper care, and do not have good health to begin with.... see, in Mexico city (the biggest city in the world, still I believe) you have these very nice ritzy areas and you go 20 minutes down the highway and then you see these communities where people survive in little houses that are built with scraps or cardboard boxes and aluminum... it's very sad!... but at the same time... you keep driving down the highway and you see again these humongous mansions with bmw's and lambourghinis parked in the front of their houses..... it's very extreme.
So, like I said: my parents live in a clean, nice neighborhood, that actually has gates and security and the violence is not an issue. We have the best hospitals (huge and nice... picture a Johns Hopkins) around that area too... and they say that where the medical care is being refused, unfortunately is (again:) in the poor sections where people are not well informed and they are of course PANICKED.

I am not sure yet what to do... I know one thing though: my little girl is most important than any other thing..... this is why I called her pedi and talked to him specifically about the issue. He told me that eventhough there was no vaccine for this, there is treatment. That he didn't understand why so many people were dying, unless they were just blowing the symptoms off and thought it was just a common cold, until it got so bad that they contracted pneumonia and succumbed...
He prescribed medication for Maddie just in case we decide to go. He (obviously) told me to absolutely NOT give it to her as a preventive measure... rather when/if (God forbids) I see any symptoms like fever or cough.

I am still hesitant in the whole thing. I am scared but I also trust my parents and friends... Christ! I've lived down there for 25 years of my life! I know exactly when things were blown out of proportion and when the media pictured (sadly enough) my entire country as violent and nasty! it really saddens me.... =(

People are wearing masks, but what they don't know is that this infection not only could enter thru your mouth and nose... but the eyes! you'd need to wear goggles too! lol...

Oh God... I am really stuck now... I am really afraid... but excited... but disappointed all at the same time! =(((

Thank you VERY VERY much for all your advice and links and info girls... I really appreciate it!!!

I wanna add that I am going to make a phone call to the BWI and MEX airports and find out what's the status on all this cr.ap as of today....

I love you girls!
V-
people tend to over-react to very small risks.  You are more likely to die in a car accident on your way to the airport than of swine flu!!!  Someone even cancelled their trip to TX.  We only had about 4 cases of swine flu in our state.  Do you know how many people die in traffic accidents in TX every day???  Probability is much higher of traffic fatalities yet I am sure few people are afraid to drive.  Please keep these risks in perspective and enjoy your vacation.
Good luck V! I know you were so excited about this trip and now all of this!! I personally would not go but I am super paranoid. Happy Birthday Maddie! :)
you are such a good momma and totally well informed and taking the right precatuions...  i also would probably postpone (sp?) the trip due to the situation if that's an opition for you.  man, i am sooo gald that's not a decision i have to make!!!  yikes!!!  good luck, V!
Someone probably already said this but I just read on the CDC's website that they issued a warning not to travel to Mexico unless it is essential. This is some scary stuff! Be careful V! Sending hugs!
I am sorry to say this V-  but I would cancel or reschedule...  I live about 2 miles from a school district that closed every school this week because of 3 confirmed students/people who have it...  needless to say I am a little freaked out and we won't be taking the kids out in public much until this all settles---  DH and I even discussed that we won't take them along to the store or anything...  they have cancelled all events where a lot of people will gather in Shertz, where I live......  if you can avoid travel to Mexico it would be best-  when you travel to an area where there is an outbreak and then home again that is how it spreads-  (an I don't want my family in Ship getting this stuff! :)).....  

I know it s.ucks big time!  But I would re-schedule.  
Oh, and I do want to add...  it is not said to be serious, like annie said, and it is treatable...  people in the school district by my house are all fine now...  no one is panicing around here or anything,  they are just taking precausions, which is why I'd advise not to come-  not because you need to panic-  as another poster said, you can't live in fear and not do anything because you could just as easily get hit by a bus crossing the street this afternoon... of course,  BUT,  why risk spreading this elsewhere if you don't need to right now...  and deal with possibly getting sick-  the fact is, you have a higher chance of getting sick, if you come now.  

the disease mostly targets young adults (20-45 years of age)...  not small children,  so you'd probably be at more risk then your baby....  if that helps....  when this was a problem in the 70's and like 50,000 people died of it, it was mostly people from the young adult age group....  
a very interesting discussion with very good points.

Last night i was watching the local news where they interviewed one of the many local highschool students who contracted it. While they were not hospitalized and were recovering, it does sound like a very nasty flu. So, while it is not lethal for most people, the symptoms this girl describe were certainly not pleasant or pretty. What concerned me about the story was that she contracted the flu despite the fact that she did not travel to Mexico or even personally know someone who did. Some of the seniors in her school had traveled to Mexico over spring break, but she did not know any of them. Like I said before, my concern would come from potential exposure in places you cannot avoid, like the airport or the airplane.
Yes, I would be more concerned about the public places that you will not be able to avoid when traveling. Not necessarily your parents house or neighborhood. What bad timing though! Did you find out anything when you called? If they will let you reschedule your trip that would probably be a good idea. Better safe than sorry!
My Co-Worker told me today at lunch that they had it all over the news last night that the airlines are allowing people to change their tickets to another date, etc at no charge to help with people not traveling to Mexico...  I'd look into that....  if you decide not to go....  
I was just reading through some more of the posts, and Annie my former boss's wife is an infectious disease doc here in TX and he told me that she said the flu shot does not protect against this strain of the flu...  I called him yesterday to pick his brain because she is up on all of this, and they have two little kids,  so I gauge my panic a lot of times on his level of panic...  like I said, Colten has been sick since Friday, fever, diarrhea, breathing heavy, etc...  I had him to the doc yesterday AM and they didn't say anything about the flu or anything and told me that he didn't have an ear infection or anything, that it must just be a cold or something.....  of course then I got home to see on the news that I lived 2 miles away from that school that closed --  I am sure I shop at the same grocery store as these people!  ya know!  So, that is why I freaked and called my old boss...  he eased my fears a little, but still sounded a little hesitatent about everything -- so I called my DS's doc back, and he said "he didn't look that sick to me, and we can't even test for it here in the office, if he doesn't get better by Thursday bring him back and we'll investigate it then"....  I thought, if you can't test for it, why would I bring him back??  Shouldn't I just take him to the ER?  Anyway,  Colten seems to be better today.....  so, I am feeling a little better about it... . ANYWAY...  

got a little side tracked there-  that is how I learned that I don't think the flu vaccine covers this flu,  according to my old boss...
I did cancel my trip & it was my own personal choice..  there is no harm in us waiting until labor day to go down.. our tickets were easily changed so no harm, no foul.. vanessa its up to you.. whatever you decide im sure it will be what is best for you and your fam.. best wishes : )
well vanessa i wouldnt be going...did you hear abotu the new news today??? more than 150 as of today...in mexico city have the swine flu and i didnt hear everything but that they are asking parents to keep their children out of the schools and that it is spreading easier in children than adults...and there are some new cases in the US few hospitalized and they are looking to death...i am sorry but right now are you ready to play the card and risk your and your daughter's life???its scary it really is.. i am sorry to be so scary about it but do more research.. best of luck
1400 confirmed in 7 countries.. it is spreading:(
CYW, please do not use such inflammatory language.  V is not risking her daughter's life if they go to Mexico.  Even if she went to the poorest area of town and deliberately tried to get the flu, at worst she would get the flu, not the plague.  
hundreds sick at a school in nyc! you all say its treatable but im still getting really scarred. if i couldnt i wouldnt go. especially since it was said not to go unless its essential

http://news.aol.com/article/swine-flu-outbreak/449320?icid=main|aimzones|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fswine-flu-outbreak%2F449320
could* not couldnt*
annie i am not using inflamatory language. Maybe it came out wrong i am sorry but my point is if god forbid something happened to maddie would you blame yourself or beat yourself up over it-which from the type of person i see you are..i think you would.. i know i would...

The president spoke on it this evening. I got home from work and heard everything that had gone on today...this is what the president was saying and the news person(speaking on top of him) said that the president at this point is trying to handle this as best and not worry but the fact still remains is that it is spreading and rather quickly with more deaths. See i didn't mean it to be rude but all the kept talking about was that people need to take it more seiously in children...i am sorry but to me that scares me.. it scares me even here in canada because within 3 days it has already spread like mad.. what about in a week from now???it is SCARY.. i am scared...

i am sorry but the reporters kept talking about the children and how they were more susceptible at not making it through this flu etc and that this flu is a big cause for concern...enough of that said when it comes to my child it's scary...and the fact that they are now labelling this a pandemic is cause for concern.. at least to me.. i would reschedule...

It's bugging me that some of you are saying "it is just a flu" if that were true, hundreds of people wouldn't be dying......
thank you GRose! so in a way it is kinda a new "plague"...lol not funny but it's true..it is worsening as the days go by...they have what 1400 within 7 countries and that is of people that have been tested and tested positive..they assume there is much more sick..those children from the schools weren't all tested.. i believe it was only 7 of them so far plus there is more than a few of the personel and they all have the symptoms...i know when i get home there will be more on tv about it...and it will probably have doubled...give it a week this will have spread father and more people will have died.. Yesterday they said some of the people hospitalized were expecting to die...i fear that it will spread here....i pray not but it will probably happen and when it does i am locking myself in my home lol
A 23 month old died in Texas. This is not just "the flu". It's more serious than that...
I am not trying to start some great debate with this comment, and I respect and care for everyone in this conversation-  and I want to start with saying that I agree this is more then just "the flu" obviously, as it seems to be faster spreading, etc...  but, a lot of people die every year from the "regular" flu too, if it is not treated properly-- so by comparing it to "the flu" it is stating it is a serious thing,  this is just heightened because it is so fast spreading and it is a different strain of the flu the what docs are use to dealing with-  so there is a time of scramble to figure it all out, and I suspect that the death toll in Mexico is higher because the medical care is not what medical care is in some other countries...  with that said,  I will admit that I am typing all of this without looking up if there are details as to why that child died...  

I think I might have compared it to the flu earlier, and the medical professionals are doing the same...  but I also stated that I won't be even taking my children to the grocery store until this thing is figured out...  it is a scary thing because it is moving so fast, and does seem to be treatable, if you catch it in time, etc- like lots of things--- I don't think it is necessarily time for wide spread panic, but a heighten sense of precaution-  

and back to re-iterating my opinion on the original question- I REALLY wouldn't go if I were you Vanessa- just hold off- if by chance you or Maddie were to get this thing while you were there, you will not have access to the best medical care you can get....  please just hang tight in Bangladesh, and visit your family when this is over!  We all care about you too much!
tator-sorry, I hadn't even read your comment about anything pertaining to it being just the flu. My point is that in this situation it is not good to minimize it because then people won't be careful enough. Yes, it is a strain of flu. We all know that. But there is a little twist to it that makes it a bit more serious and I think the best thing for anyone to do is to take it seriously and not just blow it off like it's not different than the flu bug that goes around. It's never too late to be safe and better safe than sorry. I wouldn't go either. It just worries me a bit when this is minimized. Sure, our risk is probably minimal BUT it is more serious than what we normally see. So, the alert does need to be heightened and I don't think there is anything wrong with choosing to be cautious and safe for the sake of your little one and your own health.
I totally agree with all of that!  and I wasn't offended by the comments you guys were making-  I just don't think it is time to totally freak out, which is what you are saying too,  but I too think people need to take this thing seriously!  There are a lot of people who don't take the regular flu seriously either, and that could be a mistake too!  

I am worried that Vanessa hasn't been on here giving us an update on her plans, she has us all worked up and then she vanished!  She isn't supposed to leave until tomorrow, right?

=(... I am so sad.... it's not even funny....

We are still debating... we are still trying to figure things out... I've been on the phone with family and friends for the most part yesterday and probably will today!.... it is a serious thing, but it is a flu.

Thank you SOOO VERY MUCH for all the people that care for us. It really means the world to me to see all my friends popping in and let me know how much you care. I really appreciate all the sources of information, all the advice and the sweet words. Really, really do, thank you!!!

Like I said: in Mexico city, there are very poor areas and there are VERY rich wealthy areas, unfortunately is very extreme. There are people that weren't being taken care of because of lack of knowledge in this area, they thought they just had a bad cold and when they got treated it was too late. The hospitals where my parents live are very nice, very good hospitals (picture Johns Hopkins) and I would, or my daughter, or anyone else traveling with us, get a very good medical care. I've been there. I've lived there for 25 years of my life. I've been in a car accident before that almost took my life and these doctors saved me! it's not how the media pictures it. (in that aspect)

*sighs*

to top it off: after these very hot days and dealing with air conditioners and changes of temperature, my Maddie got a head cold and a cough!!!!! So there we go! one more thing to worry about!!!... she's doing fine, she's not even lethargic... but she's sneezing and coughing.... =((((

argh..... arrrrrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited about seeing my family and friends!! it's been over 3 years!!!! it's so tough!!! =(

I am going to keep an eye on the news today.... I just found out about the baby that died in Texas... my baby sitter was freaking out!....
I do know that every year about 32,000 people die from the regular flu in the US regardless..... it's just that this is a different flu and people are freaking out.

I wanna also highlight that, before this got so 'bad'... Maddie's doctor prescribed medicine and we already got it and it's packed and ready to go in case we decide to go ahead and do this trip now.... she would get treated if God ever forbids she's exposed to the illness....

I am so uneasy... so sad, so nervous, anxious...... I don't know what to do...... I hear in one hand from my family and friends it's not 'as pictured in the media' and that is more the panic among people... but on the other hand... I DON'T wanna risk the health of my daughter! =((((((

I am so torn....

Thank you all so much!!!!!
tator- sorry girlie! I've just been reading all your guys' comments.... I am speachless with all the cr.ap going on.... =( and really sad!

But I'm here! =)
jen- yep... for once I've learned that my mouth should be shut for the most part on this tough call.... ;)
Like I think it was Jen said earlier (I don't feel like reading everything again! :)), my main concern would be the airports...
Personally I am not a paranoid person, and in this situation I wouldn't go. This seems to risky to me. We may possibly have our first case here now in MN so I'm waiting for the clinic to be full of ppl thinking they have this...

Good luck with you decision, its going to be a tough call...
I live away from my family, and I totally understand you wanting to go home---  you live right near my home and I haven't been there in 3 years-  and I am TOTALLY excited to be coming in October-  and I would be very very bummed out if something happened and I couldn't come-  I think you are a better judge of this then most of the rest of us because you are from Mexico and like you said you lived there for most of your life.  You know the area you are going to and you know the medical care you would be getting-  

I have said previously that 3 of the confirmed cases in Texas were about 2 miles from my house-  so I am probably more at risk then you going to Mexico....  that is why I am keeping my kids away from crowds...  but it sounds like you have things under control-  I personally would not take a trip to Mexico right now, but I have never been further then Laredo, so I wouldn't even know where to begin if we got sick, and you could get sick where you are-  the most cases as of now are closer to you then most people, in NYC....  so....  either way you are right-  the rest of us are gauging our opinion soley on media-  and they can focus on the worst in every situation...  

And again-  I agree with your comment about people dying of the flu----  any flu is very serious, and you are going to really be looking for signs of sickness,  and you will be able to treat it in time-  I got the regular flu about 5 years ago I remember, and I seriously thought I was going to die-  I have have the flu, in a mild version before-  but this one bout 5 years ago was horrible...  but I got the treatment I needed and I am still here....  as are most of the people being treated for this strand of the flu....  

I am going to try to be supportive of you going-  again,  I would not go-------  but again....   you know more about where you are going then the rest of us-  I just found out I have 2 uncles and 1 aunt in Mexico right now...  one uncle on a missions trip and the other couple on vacation-  they all left last week....  and no one in my family is totally freaking.....  they are just being careful.....  

let us know what you decide!
Good luck in your decision V.  
Tator- I think I read you are keeping your kids out of stores,etc.   Are you and your husband staying home too?   I would think there would be just as much risk of you bringing it home as having the kids in the stores too.  Has your husbands school closed?
Amber, in MN now??? I was worried about that!!!
well,  I am trying to do just one store trip a week right now, but I do have to go occasionally-  but I am even more of a freak about washing my hands, and I always wipe down my cart with those wipes,  so I am trying to be careful---  I am also not going to that store near my house, if possible-  maybe it doesn't matter, but that is where the people were sick....  we are not going to other crowded places-  we won't go to church until this is all cleared up, etc...  But we aren't holing ourselves away either...  

Tommy school district is still open, he does not work in the district where the sicknesses were, and trust me- my DH doesn't touch the kids as it is, before this all- schools are like cesspools, and he is just about a germ-a-phoebe anyway....  he has to go, as long as the district is open....  but trust me, the school in the SA area are on HIGH alert!  There are already 2 districts completely closed down...  

we are doing the best we can to make sure none of us get it- Taylor goes to a very small preschool, and they are very good about cleaning and children washing hands anyway- so I am not too worried about where Taylor is- and Colten stays with my MIL who doesn't take him anywhere anyway, and she won't take him anywhere now....

We aren't freaking, we’re just being SUPER careful about where we go, and hygienic....

Thanks for asking about us though!  

I haven't been to my gym ONCE this month because we've been TOO busy, and I pay more then I should for my membership,  so I am kinda aready upset out that one...  Taylor LOVES to go to the gym with me because she likes her little friends there-  and I was going to start going back today,  but now I am not sure if I should....  I esp won't take her I guess....  but I don't even know about my going-  I don't want this to stop my life,  but I don't want to put myself in a risker situation either...  guess I can just keep getting fat for one more week!  :)
My husband is worried...   he woke up with all the symptoms of flu.   I keep reminding him we are in the middle of nowhere.   Haven't been to mexico and don't know anyone that has been.
Yep, it's in MN now. The middle school that has the case has been cold. Cold Springs. YIKES!
don't take it too lightly-  down here they are telling people with symptoms not to go to the doctor,  but to call first----  keep a close eye on it, because who knows where this is coming from exactly-  I was just reading an article that CONFIRMED cases, there are only about 100 or so, and half of them are in the US....  all other cases are suspected cases........  
Wow, lots of advise so I will give mine.  I would not go, no way no way until I knew for sure.  It is serious because why would the CDC and homeland security say so.  A 23 month old child died in Texas.  I would stay home.  If you went down there, got infected, came back and had it and spread it, then that would be bad.  I always think of the worst.  Save yourself the worry and stay home, that is what I would do :)  Only my thought on it - not that I am right.
I understand if you go ahead and go.  You are in a tough position.  If it were me, I would not go.  There is no way, lol, my DH gets a cold every time he flies (HA! he insists airplanes are breeding grounds for germs) and being enclosed in an airplane to and from Mexico, currently a high risk area, is not a terrific idea.  I know you are going to be in a nice area and good hospitals, but you cannot possibly be totally insulated from those who might be infected.  I know you won't go to the taco stand, but no stores?  no children play areas?  no movies?  nothing?  and if you have a party with lots of people, you have no way of knowing or controlling where any of them have been in the last few days, in other parts of the city, being in contact with infection.  I couldn't do it.  But if you do, just be very cautious (no problems there!) and stay healthy.  
I haven't read all of the posts but I know many airlines are letting you out of your tickets without any penalty soooo it ***** but????
well the worst has happened and the worst is yet to come.. it has spread to canada..they have 9 cases here...i'm scared..really i am...also..
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Health/Flights+Mexico+cancelled/1544405/story.html

they are talking about cancelling flights to and from mexico..i am sorry but it only takes something to make people sick and end lives..they said the end was near.. i know it souinds far fetched but it makes you wonder...is this really the beginning of 2012?
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/04/29/Swine-flu-concerns-close-schools/UPI-96781241005509/

vanessa good luck in making a decision..i hope they can keep the flights cancelled so that you dont have to make the decision...it would just be a sign...

if they are taking these precautions i think people really need to be aware of it and stop trying to just treat is as a flu because guess what within a few days many people dont just die from a flu...
Yes in fact many people DO die from the regular flu every year.  You just never hear about it on the news.  And even more people would die if there weren't vaccines available.  I read yesterday that 9000 people have already died from the regular flu in 2009 but I did not hear one story about it on the news.  
The only thing different about this flu is that there is no vaccine yet and since it is from human, pig and bird most people will not have any immunity to it.  In fact some people who got the swine flu shot back in the 70's may have some immunity to it, but they just don't know yet.  I do think it is serious and spreading and people would be smart to take precautions like hand washing etc. especially if you have little ones at home, but I don't think it is necessary to panic and scare the begeezus everyone!!  
i know the flu has deaths every year.. the fast that this is all over the news and that they are calling this a pandemic and that they are presuming it will be global..with now at least 10 countries in the states have had people with the swine flu is a cause for concern...They are also saying, as of tonight that this flu has rated the #2 most deadly/communicable infection/flu whatever you want to call it.. according to health official...they are asking people to stop thinking that this is not serious and start fearing the worst...it makes you wonder really...