Maternal & Child Community
Would you buy this "breast feeding" doll for your little girl...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Would you buy this "breast feeding" doll for your little girl?

I came across this article in the news today. Just wanted to know what other mothers think of this...

Controversial Doll Lets Little Girls Pretend to Breast-Feed
Wednesday, August 05, 2009  
By Jessica Doyle
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,537261,00.html

A controversial new doll is leaving some parents wishing for the good old Cabbage Patch days.

A Spanish toymaker known as Berjuan has developed a breast-feeding doll that comes with a special halter top its young "mothers" wear as they pretend to breast-feed their "babies." The halter top has daisies that cover the little girls’ nipples and come undone just as easily as the flaps of a nursing bra would.

The doll — called Bebe Gloton, which translates as “gluttonous baby” — makes sucking noises as it "feeds."

Like many other dolls, Bebe Gloton can cry, signaling she wants more milk.

Although many health care providers promote the benefits of breast-feeding, parents around the world have criticized Berjuan, saying the idea of breast-feeding is too grown-up for young children -- and may even promote early pregnancy.

"That's not cool," Lori Reynolds, of El Paso, Texas, told KFOXTV.com. "No, I would never get that for my child."

But other moms said they support the product.

"I think that it’s great that people want to have a doll that promotes breast-feeding,” said Rose Haluschak, also of El Paso. “Most dolls that are purchased come with a bottle. That is the norm in society, an artificial way to feed your baby.”

Dr. Manny Alvarez, managing health editor of FOXNews.com, said although he supports the idea of breast-feeding, he sees how his own daughter plays with dolls and wonders if Bebe Gloton might speed up maternal urges in the little girls who play it.

“Pregnancy has to entail maturity and understanding,” Alvarez said. “It’s like introducing sex education in first grade instead of seventh or eighth grade. Or, it could inadvertently lead little girls to become traumatized. You never know the effects this could have until she’s older.”

Alvarez said breast-feeding reduces childhood infections, strengthens maternal bonding and increases the child’s immune system. But introducing breast-feeding to girls young enough to play with dolls seems inappropriate, he said.

“What’s next?” wrote Eric Ruhalter, a parenting columnist for New Jersey’s Star Ledger. “Bebe Sot — the doll who has a problem with a different kind of bottle, and loses his family, job and feelings of self-worth? Bebe Limp — the male doll who experiences erectile dysfunction? Bebe Cell Mate — a weak, unimposing doll that experiences all the indignation and humiliation of life in prison?

"Toy themes should be age appropriate. I think so anyway.”
No, I would not buy it for my child.    To me this "toy" seems inappropriate.
nope I wouldnt, they learn soon enough about all that stuff
lol, i saw this on The View today.  my little BOY would pretend to pump when i was pumping for my NICU baby!  lol, i thought it was funny...he wasn't even 2 yet.  but the doll...even for a girl...i think it's weird.  the actual sucking is what gets me!
i wouldnt buy it either
why would they make such a toy for a child
I was mostly weirded out by the "nursing bra" with the little nipple-covering daisies. There's no way I'd buy this toy for my child.
They make slings for little girls, they make strollers and etc. so they can be like their moms, but I am not sure I would buy an actual doll that does that. I'v never heard of it before. To me, just doesn't seem necessary. Little girls will mostly likely pretend with the dolls they have anyway if they see their mommy nursing a sibling. I'm kinda torn about it though. I went on youtube to see exactly how it works. They put a little apron over themselves and never expose themselves in anyway or lift any part of their shirt. (I was under the impression they actually were lifting their shirts and doing this) If we want our children to know that BF is best and they should at least try it, why do all the regular dolls come with bottles then? Isn't it kinda sending a mixed message if a mother who strictly nurses gives her daughter a doll with a bottle? BF is natural, but I also don't think we HAVE to buy a doll to teach our little girls about it. That's what mom's are for. =) I don't know where I really stand on it...but I wouldn't waste the money on it...that's for sure. Since I've never heard of it, I am looking into it to get more info, so that's why I am on the fence about it. But I will admit, it is a little creepy considering it does make an acutal sucking noise.
NO WAY! Saw this is on the news this morning. Seems very inappropriate toy for a toddler. My little girl can have the joy of nursing her child when she is a grown woman. Frankly the whole thing creeped me and DH out.
absolutely not.
i would never buy anything like that if i have a little girl.
That is crossing the line big time! I have no problem with a child being exposed to a Mom actually breastfeeding, but this, is just gross.  

I agree with you AJH the bra is too much and well the sucking sound is disturbing too.

I am glad I am having a boy!!!! : )
Yeah, I wouldn't be so disturbed by the "nursing bra" if it was more discreet-looking, like matching fabric to "expose" the "breast," but little pink detachable daisies???
Creepy.
those daisies are detachable? What for?? This thing just seems more more creepy....lol
No...
this doll would be a pedophiles dream....little girls having their "ta tas" as my 4 year old cousin calls them...exposed to a "feeding" baby....god it gives me the willy's just thinking about it. what sicko thought that would be a good idea for kids???
Yes, the daisies are detachable, and pink--if you go to the news link I posted, they have a picture.

"The halter top has daisies that cover the little girls’ nipples and come undone just as easily as the flaps of a nursing bra would."
I have absolutely no problem with a child mimicking his or her mother and attempting to "nurse" a baby doll (my son does this with his Mickey Mouse doll), but I think that this doll is a little too mature for a child.

A nursing bra? The baby makes sucking sounds? Seriously?
it sounds like a great toy, a good step in the right direction towards accepting breastfeeding as something normal and natural, without any sexual connotation... I really hope that the new generations will be more tolerant than past generations have been!

I love this toy. And the sucking sound that it makes... just like real babies, nothing weird or gross about that!!!
When we were expecting our second, our frist was almost 3-  we brough her more baby dolls, etc to prep her-  she actually told us that when baby Colten got here she was going to kiss him, and hold him, and feed him-  but she wasn't going to change any poopy diapers....  I think it is important to prep your child for the arrival of a new baby in the house, which is where a lot of the dolls come into play, but the fact of the matter is,  if prep is what they are going for, the bottles are all a young child would need-  I would pump and Taylor would bottle feed Colten sometimes-  she isn't going to be breastfeeding her brother...  so the doll seems unnecessary in the prep area for a young child.  
I wouldn't have a problem if my child was trying to nurse her baby doll, but to actually have all the noises , not a big fan of that. Actually with baby dolls in general, I've never been a big fan of the ones that makes noises, like crying. (just how I've always been as a child) When I was little I would always remove the batteries. lol. I mean if you BF and your little girl sees you doing this, they will mostly likely try to do the same with their doll. I think this is just someone trying to make money, honestly. That's all America is about in the end of it all.

In America BF is looked down upon and women are made to feel guilty about it, especially if they need to nurse in public. But I am not sure it's the little girls who should be "promoting" this in a sense. I'm sure someone could do other things to promote BF.

I think BF gets looked down upon because some women aren't very discreet about it. I had to take my son to the doctor's a few weeks ago and there was a woman with her 4 children, and sat down in a chair across from other men and women in the office. She was wearing a camisole and just lifted her shirt and started nursing and I happened to glance over and you could see everything, and I mean everything. The guys in there kept looking over and it was very uncomfortable. This is why America views BF as crazy. If she had just used a blanket or whatever to cover up a bit, it would have been fine.

I think a lot of this has to do with culture, for one. And the way you were raised. I mean, I am not a huge fan of cloth diapers and just don't have the patience for it right now, but I am not going to criticize someone uses them. I'm not a big fan of this doll, but I am not going to look down on someone who has it. There isn't too much of a difference if your daughter decided to nurse her reg. baby doll versus this one. I just wouldn't waste the money on it! We are all different and have different views and opinions. BF is a natural thing, I just don't think little girls should be promoting it. Moms should be!
The doll the halter it all seems a little sick to me. My mother has told me several times about how I would pretend to breast feed my doll when she was feeding my sister but I think a doll that actually makes noises and more than that a shirt that exposes a childs nipples is way over the line. Yes, they are just children and want to play mommy but I think this is a little much because of the fact that they are JUST children. And I totally understand how it could possibly make them want to become mothers at a younger age. I think its totally inappropriate for a child young enough to still be playing with dolls!
im very surprised everytime i hear women comment on breastfeeding and how they see  it as sexual or wrong.  very sad, but to each his own i suppose.  

addison pretends to feed her toys and dolls by bfing. its the cutest thing!  i wouldnt spend money on a doll that you have to put boobs on, addy already has them lol.
i don't think bfing is wrong. in fact i think it's wonderful. i bfed my twins for as long as i could. i was very distraught when i "ran out of milk" and had to switch them to formula. but this doll....that's just crossing the line. like someone else said for teenagers yeah...if they are thinking about having a baby as a teen sure it could be great to get them to know what it's like. but for a child? that is just a bit too mature as the other ladies have said. i never pretended to bf my baby dolls and was never taught that bfing was something that was sexual, gross, rude, crude or anything. i was taught (without the use of daisy's to cover my nipples or a sucking baby doll) that bfing is something that is natural and wonderful and how a mother feeds her child. that's how all of my children will be raised as well. just....without the dolls.

oh and the company that makes it isn't an american company. it's a spanish company.
I breastfed my son for as long as possible also and I agree its too mature for children. Maybe they could put the doll to use in a child development class for highschoolers or something to that nature but its just pushing it with the actual "playing with dolls" age. THEY'RE STILL BABIES!!!!!!!!
I think its good there is nothing "gross" about breastfeeding.  I would not have a problem with it.  As for the sucking noises its the same thing that a lot of dolls do when they suck on a bottle........Is that gross?  
it's not even the doll. like tristynsmama said if it was geared towards a high school child development class or for those who want to get pregnant when they're too young yeah it's a great idea. but for children? what really freaks me out is the halter top and the detachable daisy's. i know when i was a little girl my "babies" went EVERYWHERE with me. what is to stop a little girl (even if she's wearing a normal shirt) from pulling up her shirt in public to "feed her baby"? sure for most women that probably would not be a huge problem...what about the men? pedophiles? or some other disgusting, creepy person who well...i don't even want to think about it.
i am not defending this doll, but i seriously doubt (and kind of wonder why you think this) any little girl is going to pull her shirt up more than any other little child.  babies are the ones that breastfeed so why is it to mature for little kids to see?  

how do you react when you see a mom bfing her baby in public?  are you freaked out your kids might see?  do you think it requires more than an answer of "she is feeding her baby like mommy fed you"??

doll or not it seems like so many have bfing hangups even though you did bf.  my 2 cents anyway.  

Ok, the thing is.. I think that breast feeding just like many of the other women in this discussion is beautiful and natural and ultimately the most healty way to go for your child BUT and this is a big but I think its too mature for children to "play" with. I have a 4 year old and when I was breast feeding my son she would watch and pretend her dolls were breast feeding too. The difference is, it wasnt solicited to her! No one showed a doll breast feeding on TV that came with a cute little shirt with daisys on it she wanted to be like her mommy. She didnt just do it because there was some marketing company trying to sell her on it. If there was a market with little boy dolls with "wee-wees" would we buy those for our daughters just because one day when shes older she'll see one? No! I wouldnt at least so why buy our babies dolls that breast feed just because one day when she's older she might possibly breast feed. It's just all a little too mature for me and I know I would never get my little girl a doll like that, she can just as easily pretend to feed her baby dolls with out it sucking and with out exposing her little girl nipples with the help of a discusting little tank top!....