Maternal & Child Community
Xanax and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Xanax and pregnancy

Last week I was stressed beyond belief and had the worse day of my life.  That day my mother gave me a Xanax and she also gave me an Ambien because I could not sleep.
At the time I did not know that I was pregnant. I found out that I was 8 weeks pregnant a couple of days later (then understanding why I had an awful day!!) I found out last night that Xanax should not be taken while pregnant.  I'm concerned about the possible damage to my fetus taking those drugs only that one time.  I'm 26 years old and I have never taken any prescription drugs regularly. What are the chances that taking those meds just one time could harm the baby?
why don't you call your dc. I think taking it often is the problem. since it was just a night..... i don't really know. I will advice you to speak to your doc if you really intend to keep the preg. I wish you. no much help hmn
I had a lot of alcohol before I found out I was pregnant and also the night before. I asked the Dr if there could be any damage to the fetus and she said no but to not drink anymore. I think every woman who wasn't planning to get pregnant or accidently gets pregnant goes through this.  They take some kind of medicine and they are worried which is understandable. I thought that I had damaged the baby or he or she would have some defect. I am 24 weeks pregnant and have certain test and they came out normal. As my DR said, stop as soon as you find out and don't take anymore.
im on meds now and have been since i concieved, im 27 weeks preg.  Because of my depression my Doctors decided it was best to keep me on them.  Anyway i do take ambian everynight because of extreme insomnia and ambian is in class B which means the risk for defects are low.  Zanax im not sure about but you can ask your doc.  Im sure one pill you'll be ok, but im not a doctor.  Good luck to you and congrats.  Oh by the way so far with in deapth ultrasounds my baby looks healthy.
I meant the night before I realizied that I wasn't having my AF and upon taking the test.
I took Xanax too in my first month of pregnancy with my son. I also took other things and the DR. told me if I didn't do it everyday then your baby's fine. I have a smart and healthy 2 year old boy. It's better to have taken that early and not when the baby starts to develop months later his/her brain and other vital organs. Your fine, if your still worried, tell your doctor! Good Luck!!!
Thank you all so much for the advice!!!  I couldn't sleep again last night worrying about it.  I'm going to call the dr just to ease my conscious - Congratulations to you all, too!!
The good news is that if the drug you took is a one time thing it probably won't hurt--it's a problem when you take it over and over.  But, of course, you shouldn't take it again.  I remember worrying about an Exedren I took before I knew I was pregnant throughout my first pregnancy--of course she was fine--I just wanted to do the best for my baby and naturally had some worries.
Louana the midwife