Maternal & Child Community
Yeast Infection in 12 month old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Yeast Infection in 12 month old

I recently took my 12 month old to the Dr. and they diagnosed her with a yeast infection. She hasnt been on any antibiotics or other meds since she was born. I have never heard of a yeast infection in babies! What could have caused this so i know how to prevent it!???
Yeast thrives in moist and hot environments, so simply being in a diaper for a prolonged period in warm weather can cause it.
it's pretty common and easily treated. i suppose the only way to help prevent it would be to allow her bottom to air dry a bit before putting the diaper back on, but would you want to take that risk???
I got Nystatin (sp?) from the Pediatrician and it seems to be making it go away! The nurse said that it could have came from being in a pool. But she is never in there no more than 20 min. or so. About the "air-drying"......i tried that....and she peed all over her changing table...lol!!
My daughter also had a yeast infection when she was about 8 months old.  The pediatrician told me it is usually caused by wearing a wet diaper for too long or wiping from back to front.    My daughter went to daycare so I know that is what caused it because at home I was constantly changing her.
My 17 month old has had a terrible rash all over his penis.  At first I thought it was diaper rash so I applied creams and it seemed to clear, but he spent the night at his fathers and came homethis morning and the rash was much worse.  It started as a bumpy red rash above his penis and now it has spread more and is very red. His testicles are very red and his foreskin is also swollen and red.  I am guessing that this is a yeast infection but I am not sure.  I am contimplating takinghim to the dr's tomorrow but am wondering if it is a must or if there is something I can do at homeor buy at the pharmacy to help him.  He does not seem to be too bothered by it, no fever or anything. I've been letting him run naked all day.  I heard aloe vera works?  Please help,I feel so bad for my little guy.
My son also had a yeast infection at maybe 8 months in the cracks of his legs away from his penis and in his armpits.  I used an antifungal like lotramin and it cleared right up.  Sometimes it just happens and you can't prevent it.  It's from moist dry areas.  Now when I give him his bath I use baby powder in his armpits, behind his knee's and in his diaper area to help dry up the moisture.  The baby powder that contains cornstarch is the best in my opinion.  Don't use lotramin in the girls private areas.