Maternal & Child Community
Your Thoughts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Your Thoughts

I would just like some feedback on the following happenings this week.  I realize that all of these things are regular pregnancy things, I just would like some other opinions.  After all, if you watch Grey's Anatomy, you know doctors make mistakes too :)  

- 2 Fridays ago I had my OB-GYN appointment and my blood pressure was 140/I don't remember... mine is normally 112 or so and never has been higher.  They said maybe I was nervous- why would I be nervous?!

- Since then, blood pressure has been checked twice and remained over 130.  

- During the past two weeks, I've been having problems breathing, like my rib cage got smaller.  The doctor suggested that I had asthma all the sudden and put me on Singulare (sp?), and after a week no results.

- Past few days, headaches!  And unfortunately, extra strenght Tylenol doesn't work  :(  

I am still so tired and weak, though they did rule out anemia.  I've read about preeclampsia and all of that... I just don't know if the blood pressure is of worry.  I am young, so it's not like an age thing.  The doctor just said its okay to be tired (like 5 hours of energy a day, literally) and said that my blood pressure at 140 was fine.  Any thoughts?
Oh!  And I am 16 weeks!
I have them take my blood pressure at the end of the appointment because it is sky high when I first go in .For some reason I get SO nervous when I go see the OBGYN. Its never happened before. Its still higher than normal at the end of the appt too. I borrowed my moms blood pressure cuff and  take it at home and its nice and low so I keep track of it, write it down and bring it to the Dr. Regarding your shortness of breath, I think that is pretty normal in pregnant women, but Im not sure, this is my first and when I go for my daily walks I am definitely sucking more air than when I wasnt pregnant. Im 15wks
140 is not high and the lower number is the most important in pregnancy , concern is if the lower no is over 95 , i had pre eclamsia and had no syptoms (symptoms) at all , i was detected via the high bp then protien in urine ! they are worrying you over nothing at the mo ! good luck x x x
I agree that 140 is nothing to worry about.  I had high blood pressure with my son and they were mainly concerned with the bottom number.  My pressure has been 140s/70s every visit this time and they tell me that is perfect.  It is a good idea to ask to have it taken at the end of your visit.  I always feel better and relax after I hear that strong heartbeat.  At my 12 week visit I had myself so worried because I had a friend that had just found out her baby died at 10 weeks.  I had also been spotting off and on and I was a nervous wreck.  My blood pressure was high when I went in, but they checked it again after the found the heartbeat and it was normal.
I could be mistaken, but it sounds too early for preaclampsia ... I believe that is traditionally a LATE second trimester/third trimester issue (you usually get tested between 24-28 weeks for your blood sugar). It is normal for your blood pressure to increase with pregnancy, and if your doctor is not concerned, I wouldn't be concerned about that aspect; however, I would hate not being able to breathe well. As you grow, it certainly seems harder to breathe, but I would probably ask about that again at the next appointment since you are feeling strained in the middle. Also, in regards to your ribs, if you are having pain, it is possible that you have cosochondritis, but it may be too early for that as well. I started having rib pain right at five months and my six months was told that I had cosochondritis (tearing of the cartiledge surrounding the ribs which causes pain and inflamation (inflammation)). Although it was nice to know what it was, it wasn't much help since all I can take right now is Tylenol and that hasn't been working for almost two months! ;0) Good luck!