Maternal & Child Community
Your waist at 30 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Your waist at 30 weeks

Good morning ladies!  I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I have a small problem.  I'm supposed to be in a wedding at the end of May.  The bride knows I'm pregnant, but still would like me to be a bridesmaid in her ceremony.  I am currently 7 1/2 weeks pregnant and by the time the wedding comes along I will be 30 weeks.  I need to order my gown this week in order for it to be available in time for the wedding.  

I know every woman is a little different, but I was hoping to find out about how many inches my waist (and maybe bust) size will increase by then.  I have NO idea what size to order or even if the dress comes in a large enough size to accomodate my expanding waist line.  Can you ladies give me an idea of how many inches you've grown around the belly??  

Thank you!!
I only went up one cup size during my pregnancy but some ladies go up several cup sizes so its hard to say.  My waist right now a month after my pregnancy is 39in...during my pregnancy it was 49 close to the end.  But Ive never been a skinny person, I normally wear a size 12.  But everyone gains different ammounts of weight, I gained 30lbs and it was all belly.  Some people gain weight all over.  When you go to try your dress on tell them you will be 30 weeks they should be able to help you out.  My two cousins were in my wedding.  The were pregnant when they had to order their dresses and they both had their babies before my wedding.  The people helped them to pick out the right size.
Yeah, definitely tell them you will be 30 weeks at wedding. Alot of the time you can get the dress altered to fit. So getting it a little to big shouldn't be a problem. Alterations usually cost 50.00 to 100.00.
I had to do the same thing and it was hard to guess what I would be looking like, is this your 1st baby?
It was my 2nd so I kinda had a idea of how big i might be.
You might also want to ask your doc about it, maybe they can give you an idea?
I am sure you will need to get it altered as it gets sooner to the date.
Good luck :)
Hi there,

Yes, this is my first baby.  I do have a Dr.'s apt later this week.  Maybe she can clue me in a little.  Thanks for the suggestion.  If I look anything like my Mom did at 30 weeks, I'm going to be HUGE!  ha ha!
my waist went to about what the size my hips were pre pregnancy. I gained about 6 inches around my middle.. i am 37 weeks pregnant.  My hips i gained about 4 inches.. I am quite attractive let me tell you.. (sarcasm) hehe.  Of course everyone is different.  Tell them to order you a size way bigger than what you are and they will alter it to fit you.. It is better to have way to much material than not enough.. Trust me.. ;)

good luck and congrats on your pregnancy.
Lisa,  I would think the dressmaker could help you out with this one.  

You're not going to want a standard dress size - you won't have "standard" proportions.  Surely they deal with this enough,  and can create a dress in "maternity" specifications.

Best wishes!
Thank you all for your suggestions!  I guess I will order the biggest size they have.  Unfortunately for me, this will be a very unflattering gown becuase there is this black sash/belt thing that goes around the waist.  It's also a two piece outfit (strapless top and long skirt).  The top has a zipper up the back.  Oh geez...  The image of this is just hilarious.  I can't believe she still wants me in the wedding and in all of those pictures!  ha ha ha!

Thanks again!
I just have to insert a little humor here...

When I read the title of your post, I thought "What waist?"
I'm in my 23rd week, and have already begun to lose any waist I had! LOL
I think by the time I get to 30 weeks, I'll be calling it "my circumference"

Best of luck with the dress! :-)
That is too funny!!  So true tho!!
I had to stand up in my friend's wedding in October and I was 6 1/2 months pregnant - I am normally a size 4 and I ordered a size 10 for the wedding and it fit!  Maybe go up three sizes or so...also I am currently 35wks and my waist is 37inches if that helps?  Good luck to you!
its so hard to tell.  eveeryone is differetnt and even in each person, pregnancies are differetnt.  may be ok with ordering a size bigger and ordering extra material.  that is what they did wiht me when i was in a wedding.
I just had an idea...

I don't really know what style the dresses are, but if you can just have a "loose" waistline on it, then have the seamstress sew on a couple of ribbon ties on the side, you could always tie it to fit your waist...you know how a lot of the maternity shirts do. I love those kind, as they let you control the actual size of your shirt. Surely they can modify your dress a little so that you could do that?

I think it is hard to determine how big you will be by 30 weeks.  Esp with your 1st child.  I would have never dreamed I would have looked the way that I did with my 1st.  I was so swollen EVERYWHERE and gained weight EVERYWHERE!  It was quite hard (although this is how my mom was with my brother).  Then this time I am not as big all over the place.  I think I have gained the same amount of weight, its just more proportioned in my belly rather than all over.  I am 28 weeks now and am not sure how much weight I have gained.  i dont ask.   I am a chicken!!  I would def. go alot bigger than what you think you will need.  They can always take it in!!  GOOD LUCK!!
Hi Lisa - Why not get the dress maker to put a extension in the belly area with a way to take the waist up and just go up one-two sizes in the cup. This way you can take up what ever you need to.