Maternal & Child Community
Yuck, pregnancy symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Yuck, pregnancy symptoms

I am 6 weeks 4 days today.  And geez, let me tell you, how sick I've been.  I haven't thrown up, but would love too, for I think it would help.  I feel so sick to my stomach that I just want to lay down and try to nap.

Is this common?  I've had MS before, but it was accompanied by throwing up.  And of course, that was 4 years ago.

Is this normal.  What can I do to help me not feel so sick.  I've tried saltines & sprite, but nothing seems to work.  I just feel sick.

Also, I have this nasty taste constantly in my mouth, like when you are going to hang pictures on your walls, and you put the nails in your mouth to hold... I can't get rid of this taste.  Any suggestions, and is this normal.  This isn't helping me with the sick stomach either.

I MC at 6 weeks 2 days and I am constantly worried that these symptoms would be bad.  Any suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much.
They say when you are sick it is a sign of a healthy pregnancy. I read that and the doctor confirmed it.  I have been sick since about 5 weeks, I am now at 12 and it seems to be getting a little better.  That horrible taste is in my mouth too and if I try to brush my teeth I vomit.  Lollypops work best for the taste and the sick feeling.  My pregnancy has had many complications but we seem to be bouncing along :)  Good Luck to you.
Sorry don't have much positive things to say...the symptoms are that bad...LOL  Sorry, but my view is the stronger the symptoms the stronger the pregnancy.

I had a 1.5 hr commute to work oneway everyday and carried a puke cup with me in the car every morning....used it all the time...LOL

I had a horrible pregnancy 2 yrs ago....constant nausea and vomiting for the first 12 weeks....then it all subsided...so the good news is you MAY only have 6-7 weeks to go....but others have said it's their entire pregnancy.  The bad side is if you are anything like me...after 12 weeks...heartburn kicks in and that's enough to make anyone nauseous again...LOL

I have a very strong, healthy and beautiful 2 yr old DD to show for it. She's wonderful and I'd go through it again in a heartbeat for another.

I've been prg 3x this year all ending in m/c and never had the strong symptoms again....so hold onto them and know that they are a badge of honor.
try citrus or lemon flavored hard candy...like citrus Altoids....it worked miracles for me.
I always brush my teeth, eat peppermint candy, or use some mouthwash to help with the yucky taste in my mouth (when I DO have it). I am with you on the sick thing today. I was wondering if perhaps it isn't JUST the hormones fluctuating that cause that sick feeling. Is it possible to feel sick from all the "moving around" that's going on inside your body (ligaments moving, uterus expanding, etc...).

I feel like a lump is sitting at the top of my throat just waiting to be thrown up (sorry, tmi) but I can't puke. I haven't puked ONCE, and I'm currently in my 14th week. I have felt WORSE since starting my 2nd trimester! What gives?

Also, I keep feeling like I have to pee EVERY five minutes! I can use the bathroom, and by the time I walk upstairs and back down, I feel like I could go again. And hardly anything comes out. It's so frustrating! :-(

Anyway, just wanted to add to the list of complaints, and let you know that you're NOT alone!

At least we have support on these boards! :-)
My morning sickness wash the same way. I had horrible nausea but not much vomiting at all. But it felt like I would have felt much better if I could ahve just thrown up. It goes away later though. I had it from 6 weeks to about 12 weeks. I think different things work for different people, so just try anything you can think of or anything people tell you about. Lemons, ginger, ginger ale, coka cola, sea bands, saltines. I lived off cheese and crackers and Ensure for a few weeks. It does get better though.
wish i had pregnancy symptoms consider yourself blessed.
Your pregnancy symptoms should be considered a blessing...enjoy them. I was dying to have symptoms but they were very mild when in actuality i wanted to have a vomit bucket.When my nausea and sore breast subsided I was so disappointed i actually convinced myself that they were still there. Hence to say i m/c at 7wks 5days.

To all you blessed pregnant ladies out there...please embrace all your pregnancy symptoms. it should be your honor!!!
Did you just start experiencing these symptoms or are they just geeting worst? I am 5 wks and I have periods of nausea, but nothing like I had with my 2 boys. I am totally driving myself crazy. Why am I not sick yet?
I just spoke with someone yesterday who has had three children. She said she had NO sickness the first time, SOME sickness the second time, and full blown sickness the last time. It got worse with each pregnancy. They say every pregnancy is different. You may have symptoms with one and not the other, some worse than the other, and then all symptoms are subject to come and go throughout the entire pregnancy.
While most of them DO fade around 12 to 14 weeks, you are still apt to get them on and off, or have some of them the WHOLE time, while never getting other common symptoms.

Unfortunately, it's just a "wait and see" game...My sister had most symptoms the first time, but hardly ANY with her second child. And just because you aren't upchucking at all hours of the day, it doesn't mean your child isn't healthy. I read that people read too much into the whole "the sicker the better" thing. The article clearly stated that some women are better able to handle the hormonal fluctuations (could be due to diet, genetics, overall health...they don't know for sure). Perhaps your body is just more accustomed to the changes since you've been through it before. We'll never know! :-)

Anyway, best of luck!
saltines and pretzel sticks may help a bit.. otherwise, its pretty much a waiting game. nothing helped me either except time. 19 weeks now and still nauseus on and off, but eating definitely lessens it. good luck-
Thank you. I know what you are saying makes a whole lot of sense. I even went to the Dr. yesterday and he basically said the same thing you said. But, then I read something and I get nervous again. I am trying to relax. We are so happy to be blessed with another child. I know God has a plan, but I can't help but worry.
Thanks everyone.  

With my DS, who is 7 now, I didn't get any MS.  I didn't know I was pregnant until 12 weeks.  With my DD, who is now 4, I can't remember when I started getting MS, but with her, I threw up all the time.  

With my 3rd pregnancy that I MC, I didn't get any MS, I cramped and just had that feeling something was wrong.  I didn't want to admit it, and tried not to, but of course, still MC.

With this 4th pregnancy, I'm hoping I don't MC, so I am constantly looking for any symptom good or bad.  So far, I feel no cramping or problems, just the sickness.  

I know every pregnancy is different, I just want to know what things, foods, etc everyone uses to help with the MS.  

Thanks again everyone!
Bitter/sweet huh,It's funny that people with preg sym.hate it & people w/o Are worried?Sorry you feel this way,But hopfully this will pass.With dd I was sick all 9 mo. also aniemic lost weight & could not eat.Every preg is diff.Hope you feel better soon..nanis
Yeah, the worries will always be in the back of your mind, no matter how great things are going, but especially if you read something that MAKES you worry!

I have stopped reading so many things. I read a lot of books, and still get online to see what's up, but I've cut back on reading EVERY post that looks like it will only bring more fear into my heart. I know we can't avoid bad things, but why add another worry that may not even happen?

I also had to stop reading my Day by Day Baby Journal (it tells what is forming or growing each day with your baby, as well as what is going on with your body). I liked it the first few weeks, because it let me know exactly when the lungs were forming, or the heart, etc...and then told you what foods are best eaten for those specific developments (iron, niacin, folic acid), so I would try to get a LOT of those certain vitamins/minerals during that stage in the baby's development. Well, going day by day made the weeks go by SO slowly! I finally just got to the point where I'll read a week ahead, then forget about the book completely until the next week!

I've realized that the less obsessed I am with reading books, looking onine, and watching "Special Delivery" on Discovery Health Channel...the faster the weeks go by, and the less stressed I am.

Just watch TV Land or read novel for a few days...lay off the "what if" scenarios that you find online and in pgy books. You'll feel SO much better! :-)
Try eating crackers before you get out of bed in the morning...even before you start moving around.

dry waffles, something hearty in the am...something to set the base for the day.  bread, crackers, waffles, pretzels....then try snacking every hour....fruits, veggies...

also as i mentioned before citrus candies....without a lot of sugar.

i had a hard time with juice and sugary things in the beginning even sprites and ginger ales....nothing cut it for me but the toast and waffles.
I always felt nauseous but never puked (didn't really want that added entertainment in class either) but I always felt like ****. Couldn't sleep well but only wanted to be unconscious til it was over (which it nevr was).  I liked Cream Soda and oddly enough could only eat wierd things from my childhood, only a little but like (sorry) Spaghettios and bologna sandwiches (told my doc she just grimaced, and tuna rice casserole (my nana's recipe) and Apple Jacks.  My DH thought we were back in the 60s.  Its better now just since week 13 (which freaked me out you get so used to checking on your symptoms). Can't really say "Enjoy it" but ummm hopefully it will pass quickly (oh, I could eat toast, sometimes, and fudgicles). Sour stuff like lemonade, oddly enough. Tootbrushes make me gag like crazy (still).  GOOD LUCK!!
I'm with you on all the "kid foods"! I eat Spaghettios ALL the time (but they DO have the equivelant of a serving of vegetables in each serving!), as well as Fudge Bars, Strawberry Shortcake ice cream bars, Cocoa Puffs, Apple Jacks, and especially Golden Grahams! I love to eat them straight from the box...as a snack. I've also gotten used to eating Cheerios (all different flavors at this point, but the fruit ones and multigrain ones are the best) because they actually help me with constipation...I know, TMI!

Anyway, I'm glad it's not just me! What's really crazy is that I love Sixlets candy, too...which only a few stores carry (usually gas stations).

As for the tuna casserole, I eat those too, as well as the "Cheesy Noodle" Tuna Helper! (just had it last night!)LOL

Hey, it beats eating mashed potatoes and gravy every day! :-)