Maternal & Child Community
ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

ablation

I'm looking to have a reversal. I have read the reviews on here about ablation and I am really encouraged. I am 40 and was researching to see what was out there and came across this site. Is there any questions I need to ask Dr.
Are you saying that you have had an ablation and now want to get tubal reconstruction?  Be sure the doctor who does the reconstruction is really, really experienced at this, and ask for his success rate.  But don't even begin with that, begin by talking to a fertility doctor about your ablation, and how your periods have been since.  He or she might want to put you on a mock cycle of hormones to see how your lining looks when it is at its fullest (this is done by ultrasound) before telling you how safe it would be to try to get pregnant.  If your lining is still there (after an ablation, for some women it is totally gone), you might consider IVF instead of a reconstruction, it's faster and has better odds.
Hey Annie, thanks for your comment. I have contacted a fertility doctor and he said I would have to do an exam to check my uterus lining and if all looks good then he would do the surgery. Another doctor or the person who replies for him said that I would not be a candidate because of the ablation surgery I had. I get the impression they may suggest in vitro fertilization. But I will not be deterred.

Hi, soexcited, a whole lot depends on whether you still have at least some of your endometrium.  If your endometrium is gone, no method of getting an embryo into your uterus (i.e., tubal reconstruction or in-vitro, either one) would be safe.  

In other words, reconstruction and IVF both deal only with getting a sperm to meet an egg and creating an embryo, and getting that embryo to your uterus.  The ablation will not impact that, though your tubal ligation certainly does.

If the doctor finds your uterus cannot safely support a pregnancy because the ablation took out the entire endometrium, whether you tried it by tubal reconstruction or by in-vitro fertilization and transfer, it won't matter because it would still be life threatening.  When you say "I get the impression they may suggest in vitro fertilization. But I will not be deterred," it sounds like you think the only issue is whether or not to try tubal reconstruction instead of IVF.  But the very big is whether you have a uterine lining.  There are stories of the placenta burrowing right into the uterine muscle because of inadequate endometrial lining, to the peril of the life of the mother and obviously to the loss of the pregnancy.  That is why I say that you need to have a doctor who will give you some hormones and look on an ultrasound on the right date and see how thick your uterine lining has gotten.

If a good thick endometrium is there, you then you can read up on the pros and cons of tubal reconstruction vs. IVF.  But that is not the place to start.  

Not to say that even if your endometrial cells are totally gone, you could not have another baby, but in that case, what the doctor will suggest is to use your egg, your husband's sperm, and a gestational carrier ("surrogate mother") to carry the pregnancy.

Anyway, first things first, get in to see the fertility doctor so he can see your lining, and go from there.  
very big *issue* is
I have done a lot of research on the subject. An exam to check my lining has to now be set up.