Maternal & Child Community
abnormal HCG levels after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

abnormal HCG levels after miscarriage

I have been diagnosed with a blighted ovum.  At 7 weeks, I had a beta HCG level of 2400.  72 hours later it was 3800.  My doctor did another transvaginal ultrasound and it was determined that I had a blighted ovum.  A week and a half later, I revisited my doctor and reported light bleeding x 10 days with no cramping.  He did another HCG level and it was 7100.  I am going for another transvaginal ultrasound tmw but I would like to know what this could possibly mean?
Hi there,
Sorry you are going through this.
Unfortunately, your hcg can still rise even while you are mc'ing. I went through this from 6 weeks preg. I chose to let is happen naturally, and it concluded nearly 8 weeks after that.
Although there is no guarantee that you have a blighted ovum (which, in case your Dr didn't explain) is a fertilized egg that never quite made it anywhere. I think Dr's often use this early on when they don't know how else to explain mc) there is no guarantee that you definitely aren't miscarrying either, unfortunately. Although it's painful, it is best to wait things out, continue to be followed by a dr you trust, and hope for the best.
You have no control over anything at this point, other than how you approach it.
I truly hope things work out, and this was a misdiagnosis (there are many such stories, which you will no doubt hear on this board)
My thoughts are with you

Myah's Mom
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation - I know first hand how frustrating it is to see the numbers go up when you know you've started the miscarriage process.  Sometimes, a miscarriage is not complete, and there is leftover tissue in your uterus that continues to grow, hence the HCG numbers will rise.  The ultrasound should give you a better picture of what's going on.  Good luck.
with my blighted ovum my HCG was still doubling until it hit over 250,000!  I eventually had to have a D&C.  I'm sorry.
Hi very sorry to hear about your situation. Even I had gone through the same situation as yours 2 years ago. I was diagonised with blighted ovum and my HCG level was 17000. I was asked to come back for my hCG after two days. If it is a normal pregnancy then the HCg is supposed to be doubling every two days. After two days my HCG was 20000. My u/s was done and only the sac was seen.It seems my sac was growing hence the HCG kept rising. After a week I miscarried.
I've had 2 other miscarriages and an ectopic after this. But I still haven't lost hope. I believe in God. So have faith in the Almighty.

I have had an unusual sit. to.. Pos. preg. 10-19-04 approx. 6weeks LMP I had minor cramping and bleeding. HCGlevels 10/27/04 were5050, repeated 10/30/04 7350 U/S done following monday gestational sac vivid, and mass inside visible. D/C scheduled 11/3/03 due to lack of "viability" successfully completed D/C and path reports came back yesterday 11/8 stating no chr. villi was detected and unusual fluid extracted from sac. I have a retroverted uterus and unexplainable septate uterus is possible. Two full healthly preg. previously. NOw redid the HCGlevels today 11/9/04 levels 24,200 what the heck is goin on? COuld I still be pregnant if i do have a septum in the uterus and the d/c unaffected the embreyo on the other side of the uterus. I know it sounds nutz but logical explanination be accepted. Thanks.. Paramedic friend
I miscarried at 9 wks and it came out in my 13th (3 weeks ago) week. I just went to the doctor yesturday and he took a preg test and it showed I am. When is the hormones supposed to go away? When is the bleeding supposed to stop? I am so confused! Can someone help?

Emi
Oh my gosh...finally someone who had beta rise after miscariage.  I found out I was pregant (beta 228) the next week it dropped.(125) My doctor said I would miscarry.  I bleed lightly 2 days.  The following week (2days ago) my beta was UP 156. Dr. still thinks I miscarried.  Does not know why my beta went up?  
I had the same situation. My hcg was low at the 40's for 5 weeks and started falling.  I woke up May 23 without all my preg symptoms.  I m/c at 6 weeks on May 24 - bled lightly with clots for 2 days. and June 10, HCG went up 69 and 3 days later was 81.  Ultrasound was done today and I'll find out the result tomorrow.  Very frustrating!
What was the result of your Ultrasound?  I hope all went well.  My beta continues to rise, but not double.  I will request an ultrasound on Monday to see what the heck is going on.  I was wondering what you found out.
I have recently been diagnoised with a miscarriage as well....At first my hcg levels were plummeting it even hit a 13 by week four then they call me with the latest results and it went up to a 22 i know its not much but no one seems to know why i go back to have my hcg tested again tomorrow....I am scared of having a dnc done so far it has been all natural it was my first pregnancy and no one can give me answers....
I am SO sorry you are going through this.  The emotional roller coaster is very hard!  I continued to rise after my drop and nobody could tell me why.  They suspected an ectopic, but could not find that either.  They went up about 50 points a week.  Now last week they indeed dropped 100 points.  I am now spotting, so I believe this is indeed a miscarry. You could have a incomplete miscarriage, with some tissue remaining thus your numbers will go up a little.  That is probably what my problem was.  Some people do have slow rising beta's a end up delivering a healthy baby.  Once you are about 7 weeks and your numbers continue to rise an ultra sound will give you better answers. If you did have a miscarriage they say you can try and get pregnant immediately without problems.  If you are young you probably you can do just that, if that is your wish!  I am 46 years old, so the probability of me getting pregnant again is pretty slim.  But I do already have children, so I can live with that .  God bless you, and I hope all goes well for you.
My beta indeed kept going down.  But the unusual thing is I never did go beyond spotting.  No bleeding.  It is at 18 as of yesterday.  I hope it will be back to 0 by next week and I can get on with my life.  I would be real happy if I had a cycle so I know for sure all is back to normal.  Hope all went well for you.
i supposedly miscarried at 5.2 wks LMP (11/12/08) - lite bleeding for 4-5 days with a few very small clots. did a hpt a wk afta bleeding and it showed a very faint POS. dr sent me for hcg levels in early Jan 09 - result being levels of 240. did anotha hpt and it showed a dark, bold POS. two days later had u/s (including internal) - result being empty uterus and tubes. two wks later levels were 645. two days later results were 709. I've had no crampin or spotting, and feel more preg now than i did 5 wks ago (i'd be 10.2 weeks LMP today). having anotha hcg level taken tomorrow, as well as anotha u/s to find out wot's goin on!
Hello.  I am also experiencing some extremely odd symptoms and have doctors here very confused.  I believe I had a miscarriage last week at 6 weeks after low hcg levels every two days (15, 28, 57 (over 4 days) then dropping back to 42) followed by 4 to 5 days of bleeding which was less heavy than expected.  An emergency ultrasound could detect nothing so we assumed a miscarriage.  Expecting the hcg to decrease, the doctors were taken aback when two days later it increased to 96 and then again to 196.  A second ultrasound yesterday still found nothing - albeit they mentioned under 500 hcg the ultrasound has difficulty picking things up. Have been referred to my obstet (now I assume my gynacologist) for an urgent consultation this afternoon.  Very confused, nauseus and unable to focus. Just wish it could be sorted one way or another.  I hope your news was positive - I can empathise with how horrible the uncertainty is.