Maternal & Child Community
abnormal menstruation after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

abnormal menstruation after miscarriage

Hello -
Had a miscarriage 2 months ago (actually was considered stillborn at 23 wks).  5 weeks after delivery I had a period, and now it is 32 days later and still no period.  Prior to this I was very, very regular (28-30 days at the most, usually 28 days).  Home pregnancy test was negative on day 30.  Is it normal to have irregular periods after the 1st period resumed regularly after delivery?  
I am 36 years old and that was my second miscarriage (1st one at 17 weeks) and periods resumed again normally after that.
I'm sorry for your loss, i would check with your Dr just in case. I believe that some women take 2-3 cycles for there periods to get back to normal, and some people just go back onto there regular cycles.
I'm sorry for your loss, too.
Unfortunately, I am a same case as you are!
Had a miscarriage 5 week ago. It was a 23 wks old pregnancy, too. I delivered stillborn boy. It was my 1st pregnancy. My heart are broken in pieces!
I'm waiting for my period now.
As a medical student (future MD) I can tell you that sometimes after delivery you have to wait for periods to be regular again. Just don
Thank you for posting.
You are the only person, which I meet who's really known how I feel. Don
I'm sorry for your loss - believe me, I completely understand,  and although it still hurts and I think about my baby boy every day, it will get better with time...at least I hope.  

I know what you mean.  Everyone tries to be supportive and I really appreciate that, but no one can understand.  Even though I had one miscarriage before at 17 weeks, this one is much worse to deal with.  To me, this was not a fetus (like the doctors insist on saying) this was my son......Anyway, if you'd like to talk more privately, send me your email address...

With pleasure:
***@****

I'm waiting for your letter! :-)

P.S. I agree with you in complete! This is a child not a fetus!
Hi, I know I'm a bit late in this.  I also had a stillbirth baby boy 4.5 weeks ago, Dennis.  I was 24 weeks.  I'm still mudelling through the grief.  It's indescribable isn't it?  I don't know how you can go on after having two stillborns like that in a row. 17 weeks is so late as well.  Are you scared for the next pregnancy?  I don't think I'll relax until next baby is born alive and healthy, actually I'll probably keep worrying.  I just posted a question earlier, maybe you ladies might have some insight.  DH and I have been carrying on with our sex life hoping that just maybe I would stumble right into another pregnancy.  Today I started to bleed, and assumed it was my period.  Except it feels nothing like that, no cramps, very light flow, and light pink in colour.  Normally they're very heavy and dark with severe cramps.  Well the bleeding was very brief in the morning and is now very light spotting only showing up on t.p.  Any insights????  Implantation bleeding maybe? Hopefully???  And how do you all feel now?
Your light bleeding could mean that you are ovulating. Sometimes there is mid-cycle bleeding that is just like what you explained that happens during your ovulation. It will be very light and very short.  You will probably have your real period about 10-16 days after that.
Thank you for your comments on light bleeding after having a miscarriage.  I delivered a baby boy 6.5 weeks ago who had a fatal bone disease and did not survive.  I started my period only 4.5 weeks after delivery and 2 weeks later, just 2 days ago started light bleeding again and was concerned.  I'll take this info to my Dr in a few days but feel better having read your comments.  
I also had a lost and with time life gets easier but the scar stays of vivid memories from the future with my could have had child.....and my first 2 periods were normal 3rd and 4rth ones were late so i kno its possible.
I Lost my first baby at 9 weeks it doesnt even compare to the 23 and 24 wks of the others posting but it still hurts. it had been 3.5 months since it happened and my period was very happy to be back, so much so it happened almost every week and a half. i was able to miscarry fully on my own with out a D&C and i had a severe period/miscarriage but after that i would have a normal period and a week or so later would have kind of a mini period. i took this to my ob and he prescribed me a double dose of birth control to get me regular (OMG it was terrible my poor husband...) but im off it now and im 2 weeks and two days from my LMP and i,m having almost unnoticeable bleeding and mucus discharge(only noticeable on tp) and im wonder is it just ovulation cause it would be really early for implantation bleeding right? im afraid my cycle didnt regulate any help/ideas would be great.