Maternal & Child Community
about anesthesia in pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

about anesthesia in pregnancy?

Hello everybody! My question isnt long but long in terms of discussion. I was wondering does any one know anything about undergoing anesthesia in pregnancy. Can it effect the fetus and in ways to cause IUFD. It would mean alot to me if I got some information because I had anesthesis and 3 weeks later found out that my baby died to the day at that time. Could something have went wrong?  Thanks in advance.
What kind of surgery was it, and what kind of anesthesia was it?
How far pregnant were you at the time?

On the whole, most types of anesthesia are considered fairly safe for the fetus, but obviously surgery during pregnancy is not something considered lightly, and only done when absolutely necessary.

Depending on what the anesthesia was for/surgery was for, might go a long way in helping to piece together what happened. For example, if you had open heart surgery, I would venture a guess that it was the heart surgery, not the anesthesia, that contributed more.  

In any event, if the fetal demise was not discovered for 3 weeks after the procedure, there is absolutely no way to determine on what day the baby died.  It helps us somewhat to tie such a tragic event to a particular point in time, b/c by human nature, we want reasons when things go wrong.  A doctor might say that the baby probably died about 3 weeks ago, and then you would remember the procedure and tie it to that.  The sad truth is that most times, there is NO known cause or reason when a baby dies in utero.  
We can guess, but often we don't ever know for sure.

I am so sorry for your loss.  Stillbirth is such a tragedy for all involved.  My heart goes out to you.
Thankyou for your respond I hadnt had any minor or major surgey  I just had a cervical cerclage but think that something went wrong with the anesthetic procedure because now looking back everything was rather weird, I had a saw chin and they put on a lot of effort on waking me up. could they have given me too much of something. I come from a small country in Europe and dont speakenglish very well but if you or anyone else reading knows of anything Id appreciate the information. I know that I m looking for reasons when I really might never know but I guess thats natural. Thankyou for your support and kindness.
I would have to say it probably wasn't the anesthesia--cervical cerclage is one of the most common pregnancy related surgical procedures.  

It is just impossible to say if there was some sort of problem or not.  Even you having a hard time waking up probably wouldn't have caused it.  

I am so sorry that I couldn't give more information.
Im certain that Ill never really know the reason its just that the night before the procedure my baby was perfectly fine on the u/s and turns out that all the dates after that fall into place so it seems that all was well until the cerclage. I also had a weird feeling not to go along with it and another doc. even advised me to wait because it was early in the pregnancy but I guess it just had to be that I did the cerclage cos I was scared to stay dilated and thought that I had to listen to my doc.  Any way Ill never really know but its nice to be able to share my thoughts and fears with someone so thanks alot and i hope to contact you and others hopefully for better reasons. thanks again
I read the post, my heart goes out to you in your loss. But Im a little baffled. What is cervical cerclage? I have never heard of something like that. Also never knew that a person can have surgery while pregnant. Quite interesting, can you let me know, please.

Chrisy
Hi Chrisy, thankyou for taking the time to read my post. I ll try explaining even if my english is not really great. A cervical cerclage is a medical procedure done in cases of an incompetant cervics ( the cervics dilates much much early in the pregnancy which in my case at 13 weeks allready) and the enlargening of the uterus due to pregnancy is often hard to bare on the cervics. there is medication that could be taken to prevent preterm labor and bed rest is also recommended. As to this case the fetus is usually fine and the problem lays only in the cervics for preterm labor. If you need more medical and pro. info  I suggest you search rhe internet as for I am just  a patient that underwent this procedure ( sewing the cervics under anesthesia ) Thanks again for your simpathy  and wish you the best and hope you dont have serious prolems ciao!
I had my appendix out when I was five and a half months pregnant. Totally under anesthesia for over two hours, with no damage done to DD. I'm really sorry for your loss, I totally understand why you're searching for a reason but do doubt it had to do with the anesthesia. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
i am to undergo dental tooth extraction and i want to know if there are any anesthesia that i should stay away from for the health of the baby
Your OB will be the best person to ask about this.  Usually, a dentist wants an ok from your doctor prior to doing any procedures.

Good luck!
I found this in sedation facts in the web, I am looking too because I just found out Im pregnant and I had an endoscopy done last week, So I just talk to my anesthesiologist and he said it was a low dose it will do no harm to me or the baby Im still nerveuos. maybe this will help you too.
Teratogenic effects: Pregnancy Category B. Reproduction studies have been performed in rats and rabbits at intravenous doses of 15 mg/kg/day (approximately equivalent to the recommended human induction dose on a mg/m²basis) and have revealed no evidence of impaired fertility or harm to the fetus due to propofol. Propofol, however, has been shown to cause maternal deaths in rats and rabbits and decreased pup survival during the lactating period in dams treated with 15mg/kg/day (approximately equivalent to the recommended human induction dose on a mg/m²basis). The pharmacological activity (anesthesia) of the drug on the mother is probably responsible for the adverse effects seen in the offspring. There are, however, no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Because animal reproduction studies are not always predictive of human responses, this drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.
I am 4months pregnant and I am training to become a Veterinary Assistant. I am about to begin my externship and I will need to monitor animals under anesthesia, as well as be in the surgery room while there are anesthesia machines running. Will the anesthesia effect my unborn child?
Hello I Went To THE E.r AND FOund OUT I HAD TO HAVE MY GaLLBLadder TOOKIN OUT.i ALSo FOUNd OUT I WAS 3WEEKS PREGNANT AND THE DR TOLD ME IT WAS FINE TO GO AHEAD with THE SURGERY.im A LITTLE CONCEARned FOR THE FACT THAT I WAS TOLD IT COULD AFFECT THE FETUS.i JUST NEED HELP FIGURING OUT IF I SHOULD WORRY OR NOT.