Maternal & Child Community
about fostering my niece short term

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

about fostering my niece short term

i have been asked my my sister to foster her 5week old daughter for a short time, as she is on bail for charges not involving her baby. I have agreed to do this and will be interviewed by social workers in afew day.can anyone advice me on what this intails, will i be given everthing she (my niece) needs eg clothing, funiture and money for she day to day care. My partner works but we are not on a hugh amount of money. Please dont think im doing this for money because that is not the case. Im doing it cause she is my family and i dont want her to be with strangers
I suggest you get all the questions you have jot theM down on paper and take them to this interview. The social worker will tell you everything you need toknow, including money and matrerial things. I'd advice you not to get to attached to your niece as you will have to give her back to your sister! But what a lovely thing you are doing for her and you should be proud of the person your are for doing this. Your partner too, he must really love you to do this got your family xx I wish you all the luck you want and need
It really depends, I know that when my SIL & BIL fostered children they were paid a certain amount each month to help offset costs...that money was to be used for the childs basic necessities. They were also given medicaid to pay for the childs medical.  Sometimes the kids would come to them with absolutely nothing but the clothes on their back other times they would have a few personal belongings.  They never came with all the basics.  I agree that you should write down all your questions and ask the worker who interviews you to explain in great detail EXACTLY what is expected of YOU and what YOU can expect from THEM.  

You should also ask what would happen if for some reason your sister is incarcerated for a long period of time or if (God forbid) she were to disappear and not come back for her child.  I hope that never happens and it probably won't, but you should be prepared for that scenario JUST in case.  

I know that in some cases the parent is made to pay child support to the state in order to offset the costs of what they pay out for foster care.  But this money would become the states property, as they are already paying the foster parents.
do you know if i will be told how long about i will be having her? I have two children of my own and if im honest without coming across heartless i dont want my niece for to long. This is beginning to break me, its so hard to decide what to do for the best with everyone and i dont want to disappiont people and let anyone down.
It's unlikely they can give you a specific time frame.  If your sister is on bail, that means she has to wait for her court date, how ever long away that is.  Then there is a chance that she will be found guilty and do jail time.  You can ask the worker but I really doubt he/she will be able to pinpoint a timeframe.  Good luck. Just keep in mind that if you do not foster the child, a stranger may take her and while the majority of foster parents are loving, caring individuals, they aren't all that way.  You have to do what is best for your family first and foremost.