Maternal & Child Community
advice on busted lip!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

advice on busted lip!

My family was camping last night and my 2 yr old daughter fell and busted her lip on a log! poor thing bled so much the front of her shirt was soaked. we had her cleaned up with our first aid kit and there are clearly two cuts, one inside and one out. I have never dealt with this type of injury, my oldest has never so much as fell hard! DH says shes fine and the swelling is already going down, she is able to eat and drink but if something rubs it wrong or something she cries. what is the best way to heal this? I know the mouth is a dirty area and i dont want it infected. Normally i treat scrapes and things like that with hydrogen peroxide and neosporin. i have been using salt water with a cotton ball and kind of dabbing at it. and she has a "booboo bear" (its an ice pack) but she doesnt want to put anything against her lip. am i doing enough just keeping it clean or is there some other sort of medicine i need to be using for infection, preferrably one that doesnt sting but is cleansing.
i wouldn't use any medicines by the mouth. if you think about it, when you cut your tongue or bite the inside of your mouth, it bleeds but generally doesn't get infected. if the bleeding has stopped then she doesn't need stiches. if the inside is very very sore, you could ask a pharmacist or your pediatrician about using anbesol or orajel. i know where i work the school nurse often puts it on wounds in the mouth, although that's for 3,4,and 5 year olds.
Sounds rather silly I know - but her poor little lip is sore and bruised - a great way to give her some relief is to give her a popsicle - its nice and cold - cold will help the bruising and swelling and I gotta say - popsicles and bandaids cure almost any ailment in a child!!!
thank you ladies! actually the bleeding has stopped but its weird, when she takes naps i see a little drop of blood forming at the corner of her lip, but when shes awake, theres nothing. ? does this mean she needs stiches?
Renogirl- its funny you say that because i dont doubt it at all! the popsicle she ate when we got home seemed to make her feel a lot better, she wouldnt put anything else up against that lip to eat it but that! so i guess i better get to the store for some more! and bandaids are something we blow through around here! they even use bandaids for bruises, itches, etc. LOL!
my poor little girl, how long will this last?!?!?!
anyone else have anything to add?
i just posted pics of her busted lip to my profile. please tell me what you think. im am more than a little concerned right now...
my little girl fell yesterday i put ice on it and it went down but the next morning (today). it has swelled again. her teeth cut the inside of her lip she rinsed with salt water. that is starting to heal but the swelling has got me worried .this is my 4th child and i never had one of my kids bust their lip this bad.help what will bring down the rest of the swelling
                                                             a very worried mom