Maternal & Child Community
almost 15 weeks old start on cereal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

almost 15 weeks old start on cereal?

I have an almost 15 week old baby that is exclusively breastfed. She seems to be feeding more and cranky because she needs more. Do I have to call the dr. or can I just start her on cereal. She is big & healthy, but still hungry!
Depends on the Dr.  Mine told me absolutely not till my son was in for his 4 month check up, but I know lots of people are told it's okay, and you are so close anyway that a week wouldn't really hurt.  My little guy was a big size too and was hungry, cereal made a big difference for him.  Just depends on what you want to do.  I followed the Dr.'s orders, but we had a lot of problems with ears, and pneumonia around taht time, so I was pretty cautious.  Good luck with it though.
Hi, Kellie.  I have the same question.  I have started giving formula to Ariella once a day but she's constipated b/c of that and no one is happy in this household when she's constipated.  I would LOVE to keep exclusively breastfeeding her but unfortunately I don't have enough for her anymore b/c she acts as if she's still hungry.  I heard (I don't know how true that is) that breastfed babies don't need to be supplimented until 6 mos (that is if you have enough milk).  We're going to our ped tomorrow so that's one of the questions to ask on my list.
Our DD is BIG and always hungary.  We started feeding her Oatmeal, not rice cereal as oatmeal has fiber.  We started this when she just turned 3 months.  One advice nurse told me go ahead, another had another opinion.  Well DD is the size of a 5 month old and they don't have to live with a crabby baby.  So we started her off once a day.  I give it to her in the morning, make it really runny and then have her finish off with some formula.  It is still more important to feed baby milk.  And you need to give milk afterwards to help it go down.

Good luck---I am excited to start Ameera on fruits and veggies in a few weeks. I will be making homemade baby food---anyone know the easiest/best way to prepare it??
Just watch for back up in the little guy--mine did this when I switched to formula--but it got worse when I introduced food--it just may have been the combo fo both.  But usually food will make them a little happier--just make sure it is very runny the first few times--he is not going to know what to expect--have daddy ready with the camera for that first picture with food.
Hi, glad to hear Ameera's doing well...My sister used to steam the veggies and run them in the blender.  I'm not sure about fruits.  It's good that you decided to do it yourself and not buy the canned ones w/the preservatives.
Hi, hope things are going well with you!! I talked to the nurse and she said go ahead. Start 1t once a day mixed w/breast milk until runny and feed with a spoon, thank goodness. I am going to start tonight! let me know how the dr. goes tomorrow, I think you get more shots :(
i would NEVER start a baby that young on cereal

But I know lots of women do - SO JUST my opinon!!

call your doc always before radical changes like that though
I gave my dd cereal very early, she was always hungry.  The rice cereal didnt sit well in her stomach but the barley cereal worked like a charm.  I just made sure it was pretty thin so she had no problems swallowing it.
I agree w/ MGI. But you will do what you want despite evidence of its potentially troublesome consequences.

On a side note, I am reversing my position on breastfeeding classes. I once erroneously said they were unnecsessary, but after seeing so many women assume they weren't producing enough milk and then starting formula, I have changed my mind. If you had taken courses, read a book, spoken with someone who knew anything about a  nursing baby, you would know that the worst thing you could do for your milk supply would be to offer any type of supplement. Babies go through growth spurts quite often during the first several months of life and during those spurts they eat constantly. They may also eat for comfort, they eat because they have an inherent need to suckle, etc. I am not a wonder of nature, yet I have managed to nurse not one, not two, but THREE babies with only one functioning breast for 14 mos with my first, 15 mos with my second, and I am now 2 mos into nursing my 3rd (other significant issues prevent me from nursing on the right side) I have NEVER offered a supplemental bottle and yet I have had three boys thrive extremely well. Never offered cereal or solids before they were 6 mos and even still they got 95% of their nutrition from breastfeeding until they started weaning onto whole milk after their 1st birthday.

Adding cereal won't help with bm's either. It is iron fortified which will only help to make things harder to pass. Babies do not need cereal until after their 4 month birthday at the very earliest. 6 months is a more realistic age as set forth by the AAP. Their GI tracts just aren't mature enough to handle it yet.

Andi

Get this woman a medal!!!   3 babies with one boob?  Well, to each their own, but my 10lb ers would NEVER be full with that!  LOL ! I have had 3 babies as well, and I found it absolutely necessary to fill them with cereal, in order to maintain my sanity.  I never supplemented with formula, but that too was a personal choice.  I didn't have a social life for the first few months of each of my babies births.  I only breastfed my babies for the first 3 months  then I switched to formula and cereal.  I have two extremely HEALTHY boys and my baby girl is only a month old, so we are still bf.  My mother said that they put us on cereal when we were a few weeks old.  (I was a 9lb er)
Well Andi, that's all well and good, but what happens when you are a first time mom, struggling to breastfeed and your baby is losing weight? I took the class, read the books, had the lactation consultant at my home, asked every question imaginable at the hospital and was faced with a child that wasn't thriving.

At that point I chose forumla to supplement and not risk my newborn's health on my ego (which was severly bruised). I sure wish we all fit into your cookie-cutter mold of breastfeeding, but we don't. Sometimes we are faced with choices and things that make us scared for the health of our children.

I guess if formula has put my children at such a disadvantage then I'll tell them so and we can all start group therapy.

15 weeks does sound young to start cereal, but like suggested talk to the doctor.
For the record. my babies were all over 8 lbs. It was no picnic  and required a lot of sacrifices to ensure my babies were exclusively breastfed. I took that commitment very seriously, not choosing to give up without a fight. My youngest had major jaundice issues and blood sugar issues at birth, but I still worked very hard. Even though it meant havinmg him virtually attached 24/7, I did it.

Cookie cutter mold, huh? Not hardly, I worked very hard for all of it.

Andi
My son was over 10 lbs., and I tried to bf, but just couldn't supply enough milk either, so I did supplement.  My son's pediatrican and nurse were well aware and helped me through it.  My son had every imaginable illness in the first few months that I did bf, and was extremely difficult and colicky.  Thought I would lose my sanity.  Anyway, I think it's great those who can bf exclusively, but I have no problem with formula myself.  My son was put on cereal at 16 weeks, which is 4 months, and that was by his Dr., I waited till we got the official "blessing" by the Dr., but 1 week early, don't know if it will make a huge difference.  I would call the Dr. first though.  I think they are worried about the digestive tract as someone said and also allergies.  Good luck.
WOW! A simple question on cereal, hee, hee, a few hours away from the computer and look  what I missed!!! My mom never breast fed any of her 5 kids and we are all still alive. She gave cereal after the first week. My baby will be 4 months next week and I got the Okay by the doc to go ahead and give her 1 tablespoon a day. Otherwise, I have exclusively breastfed which I am very proud of. Breast or formula, to each his own, didn't mean to cause a roucuss (sp)
My goodness, you are a bitter one aren't you? My ego had nothing to do with it, my child's overall health took first priority, hence why I fought so hard to nurse. My point was that despite serious obstacles, I succeeded. If given the circumstances I had all three times I was able to succeed, that nearly anyone can if they really work at it. It is very rare for a woman to not be able to nurse. Perhaps you were one of them, but given what you said happened yourself, I think you were told to give up too early. It is not easy to do it, it is one of the hardest things I have ever committed to doing. I am proud of my accomplishment, sorry if that bothers you so much.

Andi
I am hardly bitter. I said *my* ego and not yours. It is a serious blow not to be able to breastfeed your child, one that you cannot even begin to comprehend.

Once asked by the doctor to being a formula supplement I didn't simply offer the bottle. We did cup feeding as to not confuse the baby. I started pumping, breast and cup feeding around the clock, much like you breastfed around the clock. Both without doubt require the same effort.

I simply refuse to be told, or perceive to be told that I didn't try hard enough; and that if you could do it, so could I. Maybe I am one of that small percentage who cannot breastfeed. I don't know.

I'm glad you have picked a cause to stand up and voice an opinion about. You seem to be as adamant about breastfeeding as I am about not smoking/and or drinking while you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Just to add my two cents.   My dd was started on cereal twelve days before she was four months.  She stared and watched up eat.  She moved her mouth.  It was heart breaking.  I do everything by the books so I called my ped and got the ok to start cereal.  At four months the PA said she could start vegies.  So now a few days after she turned five months I have started her on fruits but just a half a jar.  I may even cut it down to less than that.  I haven't seen doc yet but I started the fruit on my own.  She needed something and on the doc's feeding chart you start fruit a month after veggies so I am sure it is fine.  Come on think of what our parents gave to us and their parents gave to them.  I breast fed mine for three weeks it was all I had.  I never even filled up with milk.  I just didn't have it.  I cried and cried.  I felt like such a failure but I realize now that I did everything I could and then had to do what I had to do.  These are our babies just try your hardest and do the best you can.
Wow, I can't believe that we even survived after what our parents did with us...lol  I know that I wasn't breastfed.  My mother said that FORMULA was the "thing" to do.  I think that I am relatively healthy, besides my own neglect from time to time, which I am sure we are all guilty of.  Many mothers were smokers and drinkers.  They didn't know the risks the way we do now.  
ANDI  perhaps you should try to develop a softer approach to expressing your BREASTFEEDING ACCOMPLISHMENTS.  Stating that you think that everyone else knows nothing about Breastfeeding and you are the QUEEN simply isn't cool!
most of you are younger than me

BUT think about all the moms that had no choice - IT WAS BREAST _ and somehow they manged - it is really easy to make excuses in todays world!!

if you choose not to breast thats your choice - BUT obviously - all women CAN feed their children - they have been doing it for ever - since eve as a matter of fact - if you want to supplement thats fine - BUT certainly not necessary

My mom wasn't able to run to a store and buy formula - amazing - she fed 12 childrren!!!!  - BUt as she always say - she didn't have a telephone or a TV - so her job was to be a mom and wife - and thats what she did!!!

there are lots of consequences down the road if you give your child foods too soon. their digsttive systems aren't ready
I love it.  hmmmmm I guess I just didn't give it my all.  I tried and tried to breast feed and I just had nothing after three weeks.  I guess I failed!  Thanks!
I wasn't exactly trying to keep a social calendar after I had my baby. I was committed to breastfeeding; not just picking the baby up at my convenience.

All I am saying is that sometimes it just doesn't work for some women. It had nothing to do with my level of commitment. There was a good latch, I was up every 2 hours, trying to feed my baby. At the first week check up with the home health nurse there was zero weight gain, in fact the baby had dropped more weight from birth.

I fought to the bitter end with this, so please don't make yourself sound like some sort of breastfeeding champion. I took my baby's health as a priority to my ego.

Perhaps if I ever have another child I'll pay your expenses and have you come to where I live and help me since I am seem to be so ignorant about it. That or when my first child fails to reach a milestone in development I'll make sure to remember it was because I didn't breastfeed.

I believe Moses' mother could have nursed, because we're all perfectly capable, right? However, she enjoyed the occasional ciggy and didn't want to endanger him, so she used a wet nurse.
I think it's wonderful that you have been able to bf 3 babies without supplementing at all using 1 breast.  
I am among the very few who wasn't able to bf.  When I had my daughter 10 years ago my milk never came in not even any colostrum.
I tried unsuccessfully to pump and nothing every happened.
With my son I did have a small amount of colostrum but my son developed severe jaundice and it became worse as I bf.  This is extremely rare because normally breastmilk helps with jaundice.  We finally decided it was best to stop bf and use formula.  
My Dr always advised against starting cereal before 6 mths so that's what I did.
You know, I am also tired of BF nazis out there who make other mothers feel like failures because they cannot breastfeed.  IT HAPPENS --I can relate to other posters who have cried and cried because your child refuses the breast it is a rotten feeling.  I bought breastpads thinking I would leak milk--never did--I never produced enough.   DD was also jaundiced and I also listened to the pediatrician's advice to supplement with forumla.  I tried the breastfeeding for first 2 months with pumping and had a MISERABLE baby and I was a MISERABLE momma.  As a mother you do whatever it takes to have a healthy happy child--not give in to the pressure of what society tells you what you ought to do.  I think there needs to be more understanding out there for moms in my situation.
when my mother gave birth to me, the nurses at the hospital told her that BF was inferior and started me right away on formula.  it was pretty normal at that time.  i seem to be doing just fine.  my IQ must not have suffered too greatly because i managed to graduate from UCLA - go bruins :)

i was able to BF my dd, fortunately, but i know that not everyone can for one reason or another.  everyone has different situations in life!

this is reminding me of the woman who, after finding out that i had to have a c-section because my dd's head was too "wide" to pass through, told me that she almost had to have a c-section too.  then she "just tried a little harder" and was able to push out the baby.  wow, that just made me feel like such a failure.  i was in labor for nearly 24 hours - who knew that i was just being lazy?

Wet nursing was a comman practice since the dawn of civilization until sometime in the 19th century. Even Moses had a wet nurse.

I guess all those mothers could have bf, but chose not to?
yeah for you. but shame on you for making all those out there who felt they failed at breastfeeding feel inferior. get off your high horse woman. it's great you were able to do that and i commend you, but the fact is bottle feeding is totally acceptable too. please. *rolls eyes*
Ok, just my 2 cents here.....
BF doesn't make you more or less of a mother. PERIOD!.....it is wether a choice or a need.....some women have problems bf'ing and NOBODY can tell them how 'wrong they are' for doing that.
A baby (and humans in general) would adapt easily to cereal or formula....and yeah, for the one that went all the way back to the 40's and Adam and Eve.....let me ask you, do you know what was the life expectancy of human beings in the 40's??? a LOT less than is now.
Now, personally, I WAS breast fed. And guess what...i have ulceric colitis and have always suffered from stomach problems. It has NOTHING to do with being BF or not. And that didn't make my mother more of a woman than the neighbor who couldn't.
Girls, light up, and stop being so stinking judgamental!