Maternal & Child Community
am i miscarrying

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

am i miscarrying

two weeks ago i was confirmed of being 6 weeks pregnant, lastnight i had some spotting. pink in color lastevening and then dark red this morning, like when you have finished having a period. i went to emerg. they took blood from me and it came back with a hcg level of 319. two weeks ago it was 478, the emerg dr. said that i was in the process of having a miscarriage. i have stopped spotting, no cramps. If i was having a miscarriage whould my blood test still show that i am two weeks pregnant. If i was miscarrying should i not be bleeding and passing clots.
i am so sorry you are going through this...everyone miscarries differently there is no real protocol for it.
i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers..again i am sorry.
~nanci
I'm so sorry that you have to go through this.  I went through a similar situation last year.  I spotted on and off for two weeks. I went to the ER but didn't want to hear what they had to say.  It was only after I went to my DR and had an ultrasound that showed no heartbeat and no movement, when I began to accept it. They considered it a missed miscarriage because I did not pass any tissue on my own.  Are you scheduled for an OB appt anytime soon?  I hope that you are ok.  I know going through a rollercoaster like this is very hard.  Stay strong and let me know how are are doing!  I will be praying for you!
Carolyn
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this horrible experience.  Unfortunately, many women don't miscarry completely on their own, and have to get some medical help - usually a D&C.  Some doctors will want you to wait a bit, though, as the tissue occasionally just takes some time to pass on its own.  I know how emotionally trying miscarriage can be - so please try to be strong and listen to your doctor's advice.  *hugs*
I am so very sorry to hear of what's happening with you. I know how you feel, it's one of the hardest and scariest things I have ever been through. When I had my m/s last October I had no clue that anything was wrong. I went in for my 12 week checkup and when my Dr. tried to listen for the heartbeat she couldn't hear it, she then did a vaginal ultrasound on me and told me she thought I was carrying twins and one did not have a heartbeat. I had to go to the hospital the next morn. to have a nurse in the radiology dept. do an ultrasound, only to tell me that there was no heartbeat and I was only carrying one baby. My husband and I were devastated, I went to another Dr. and got a second opinion before I had a d&c done. He told me that the baby only measured to 8wks & 5dys, so I went almost 4 weeks with no idea that I was miscarrying.

I will keep you in my thoughts..
Mandy
i went to the dr. today and he did an internal. he did see any bleeding from the inside. so he told me all was ok from inside. he made me go for another blood test and he notified me that if my hcg level is lower then 319 then yes i was in the process of having a miscarriage and to go back and see him on monday. i will ge the results back before he does. i call the clinic on sat. and they will tell me the hcg level. i am scared to death that i am losing this one also. i had a miscarriage two years ago i was in my 20th week and that did me in there, what am i going to do with this one.
So sorry you are having to suffer through this. The waiting is the worst. Hope you have lots of support and hugs available.
Be strong, and take extra good care of yourself. Take some time off work if you can, and just do something nice for yourself. You can't alter the outcome, so all you can do is breathe deep and know that whatever is meant to be will be, even if it breaks your heart. We aren't given more than we're able to handle...
i had more blood work done on friday. the dr. notified me that if the level is lower then 319 then yes i am in the process of having a miscarriage, i called the lab this morning and my hcg level is up to 366, should this be happening if i am miscarrying or should the hcg level be going down. i am wondering if i was having twins and one had given and that is why my counts had gone down and now is rising back up.

please help
There is a chance that you could have had twins.  I know two friends who miscarried one twin and ended up having the other.  They had the miscarriage symptoms, bleeding, etc..  I would continue to hang in there as hard as it is.  It is so much easier on your body to do things naturally.  I had a D&C and really regret it due to the scarring, etc..  I wish you the best.  Let us know how it is going.  Also, realize that sometimes things don't always show up right away on an ultrasound.  You can read some interesting cases on this sight:

http://home.earthlink.net/~misdiagnosed/
With my first pregnancy I started spotting.  And the doctor ordered blood test.  And we found out my hcg levels were dropping.  He said I was miscarriaging.  And that we would test again in 2 days to see if they were still dropping..  And they were.  That is when they confirmed I was miscarriaging.  They did a ultrasound and nothing was there.  He described that it was a miss miscarriage.  And I didn't cramp, bleed, or pass anything.  Only spotting I had was what I had to prompt me going to the doctor in th first place.  With my second miscarriage.  It was totally the opposite.  I was bleeding like a period.  And the doctor but me on bed rest at 7 weeks.  The bleeding stopped for awhile.  And we thought I was out of danger.  And he took me off bed rest.  And said I could do light to moderate activity.  When I was 11 weeks.  I went to the bathroom and filled the toilet with blood and tissue.  I had miscarried.
Go to this sight.  There are some helpful women there who can advise you and support you.  

http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/1311584/thread/1355499?i=110#go

I wish you well!
well i hate to say this, but i have had a miscarriage, there was so much hope that i must have been playing mind games with my self. i would like to thank you all for all the support that everyone has given me. i decided that i would do the natural way and have no d&c but i still am bleeding heavly and it has been a week. should i worry or just let it take its course.
I'm so sorry Tweety to hear how things have gone.  I'm glad though to hear that things have been going well with your natural miscarriage.  It really is best for your body although it can be hard emotionally.  Many woman have bleeding for a few weeks.  As long as you are not soaking a large pad every hour or having hemorrage problems, you should be fine.  You might want to have a u/s later if you suspect that not everything has come out.  It seems though that you aren't having a lot of problems.  I would make sure that your vitamins have at least 18 mg of iron.  You might want to take 500 - 1000 mg of vitamin C to help heal your body.  Prayers and hugs to you!  I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy next time around.  You have a special little one to one day meet in heaven.  If you never conceived that child, you would never one day meet that little one.  That thought has brought me comfort so many times.