amniotic fluid index (AFI) is 24 at 38.5 wks is it normal?
It just got the result from Dr. with my AFI is 24. He said is ok nothing to worry.  Is it normal at 38.5 wks?
It actually sounds like you are on the very upper end of normal amount. But you are still in the normal amount.
How do they check the amniotic fluid?
Surprise baby--

sorry to hijack the thread, but I also have low amniotic fluid and am suffering from severe sciatica... coincidence??? Mine is low but still within the "normal" range, my count has been 9, then 10, then 9 again. I'm being checked again in 2 weeks. IMHO the low AFI keeps the baby from moving freely so they are kind of stuck on that nerve... of course I'm no doc but they really don't have any answers either.
Hi there,  I have done alot of research on amniotic fluid levels, as I am suffering from LOW fluid levels,  I am attaching a link to a website with lots of useful information regarding fluid levels.   I am in my 25th week and I only have 2cm.  I am going to see a specialist on Thursday for another ultrasound!  They tell me baby is growing well, but there is also an abnormal growth in my uterus.  I have also been suffering from EXTREME Sciatica...This is my Third pregnancy, I didn't have ANY complications in my first two.. Definitly my LAST baby!
Here's the link:
http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/681_4536.asp

I hope everything goes well for you in the next week (or two...)
Glad that you found me again!  I read your comments on my last thread about lower back pain.  Sounded just like me.  My girlfriends are bringing pizza to my house because they are sick of me cancelling our "MONTHLY" dinner dates.  I haven't been since April!  Haven't worn any socks since then either...I live in Canada and it gets pretty cold up here in the fall/winter months.  I am not due until Dec. 14.  Very interesting coincidences indeed!
Take care