Maternal & Child Community
anembryonic pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

anembryonic pregnancy?

On March 16th I was 6wks and 4 days pregnant, I went to see my Dr. because I was having some sort of pain on the left side.

He performed an U/S and said it was a cyst that was causing the pain, however when he did the U/S I could see there was empty yolk sac and I mentioned to the Dr., he said it was probably to early to tell if there was an embryo and in case there wasn't then it will be a "Blighted ovum".

He suggested I went back to see him once I'm 8 1/2 wks; although I still feel all the pregnancy symptoms, I cannot help worry about it and maybe he was right and it was too early to see an embryo but shouldn't you be able to see it at 6 1/2 wks?.

I have a healthy baby and this would be my second, but I seem to remember being able to see my 1st baby at 6 wks, maybe I'm wrong, can anyone help me and advice me if you could or not see the embryo at that early stage.

Hey, don't panic, it may just be too early yet. Your dates could be a little off too which would make a big difference at this stage. I'm sure everything is fine!
I would have to agree with capermom I had my first u/s at 8 weeks because I shocked the hell out of myself *eyerolls* lol and I don't remember seeing anything lol well good luck..
if it was a "on top of the tummy" u/s, you wont see anything, but if it was a trans vag u/s, you probably could, dont worry, wait and see, i will be praying for you!
When I was 7-8 weeks along, I had my first u/s...and the Dr. saw a collapsing empty sac (blighted ovum).  I did suffer a miscarriage a few days afterwards.  When I looked on the internet, fetal poles develop at about 5-6 weeks.  And, your dates could be slightly off.  A few days really do make a difference.  Even when I had my u/s, the Dr. still wasn't not 100% that I was going to miscarry...because the dates could have been off and, therefore, too early to see fetal poles yet.  Don't worry yet...if the Dr. wasn't worried.  I just remember him telling me that the fetus develops at such a rapid rate at this point.  This is a good website that I found:
http://www.ob-ultrasound.net/frames.htm

This website had a variety of pics of different u/s.  

Hope this helps.
Keep us posted.
Maggie
Thank you so much to all of you for your comments, it really helps to get nice comments. I'm still worried about it and I'll still have to wait for another week to see if there is an embryo, I really hope there is one. Thanks for your support.
Hi everybody.I am 25 and got pregnant after 1 months trial, so one should say we were lucky. Now supposed to be in my 8th weeks, when because of some light bleeding I decided to contact my nurse. She told me not to worry, but I wanted to make things sure, so decided to take an U/S by a private doctor. He found empty sack and said it should be an ovum pregnancy. He proposed to do a new U/S next week and if he can not see anything to make an operation. Can somebody help me, if it is really time to do an operation, or can I still have a chance that there is a baby?
Hi to everyone...I wish someone can help me, give me an advice. Im having my 1st (Nov2003 )& 2nd (April 2004)pregnancy but sad to say it was blighted ovum.  Im really depressed & dunno wat to do. I remember my 1st preg about 1 month, my sister in law daughter having fever coz of growing tooth & later diagnose as measles. Because were living in one rooftop, can it cause my pregnancy ? Last May 2004, doctor advice to have torch test and found out that der r 2 items that im over the normal range w/c is the Rubella IGC? and Anti-HSV? Can these 2 items coz my 2nd pregnancy. I cant do anything during the time bcoz im already pregnancy.  

Pls. help me what to do, Im really very very sad.
Pls. email me ilj_ph***@****