Maternal & Child Community
anmio?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

anmio?

I have gotten the 'bad news' that my blood work shows a chance that there is an chromosomal abnormailty... I believe that I will be having an amnio... does anyone have any experiences with this, or can tell me what to expect.  We are being sent for genetic counselling before anything is organized, but I would like some "real" input from other women.  I am scared adn worried to death.
I have had an amnio and will share my experience with you, but want you to know that a girl I work with (she is currently 32 weeks pg) had two blood tests that came back for possible abnormalities and she had an amnio and the baby is perfect. So the blood test doesn't mean anything is definitely wrong. I didn't find the amnio that bad. I was given a local anesthetic on my belly (know that they NEVER go through your belly button, people will tell you that) and that was the most painful part. The amnio was feeling pressure more than pain. And they had to poke me twice because the first time caused my uterus to contract and that made all the fluid move away from the needle. It took only a few minutes from when they went in and drew the fluid. I took the day off, put my feet up and was absolutely fine. The info from the amnio was great and if you want to know the sex, you can 100%. There is a 1 in 300 chance of m/c, but I asked my doc how many he had and he told me that in the 25 years he had been doing amnios, he hadn't lost one. Try not to worry, it really wasn't bad at all. Hope this helps.
Debra :o)
If you need the piece of mind, go for it. But if you wouldn't change anything, even if the results came back that there was some problem, then why put yourself through it? We had an abnormality on our last ultrasound (cysts in the baby's brain) that is linked to some bad genetic problems. In our case, however, the chances of there actually being a problem (given my age) are lower than the risk of miscarriage from an amnio, and, since either way we would have this baby, we will be doing a level II ultrasound for that "peice of mind" (and planning) instead of the amnio. Its a tough decision. Like the previous post said, the amnio is the only way to be 100% sure. We will keep you in our prayers. Sarah.