Maternal & Child Community
answers on family adoption?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

answers on family adoption?

ok I have a question maybe someone out there has gone through the same thing im going through? I have a cousin who is younger than me I am 20 years old she's having her second child her first child I have helped her raise since birth I have had him everday he is 1 1/2 currently well she's pregnant again and doesnt want this baby she wants to give it up for adoption and i told her i would take the child and raise her to keep her in the family Well this started when she was 4 months pregnant now she is 8 months and her mom who isn't even there for her and has never been tells her to keep the child this girl is so unstable financially, and emotionally for both children anyways if she decides to give me the child how would i go about tit legally without am i to young or would it have to be something we have to keep secretly what about filing taxes in the future and so on? anyone have any suggestions or any info on this please help thanks!
if your cousin is serious about putting her baby up for adoption and you are willing to raise the child you really need to get a lawyer involved. If it isn't a legal adoption then 5 years from now if she decided that she wanted to be a mother to her child that you raised for 5 years you have no ground to stand on. I would seriously talk with your cousin and find out if she is serious about this and if so you should both contact a lawyer. Maybe a family law type of lawyer. If the adoption is legalized it will save a lot of potential heartbreak in the future. Good luck with everything.
I woudl definitely contact a private adoption lawyer

you will probably need a home study

But with her mom interfering sounds like it should be made legal in the best interest of teh child

good luck
catgirl is right, you need to get a lawyer involved.  She would just need to sign total custody of the baby over to you and give up all parental rights.  I hope it works out for you.
thanks guys im really excited about the baby she will be here late february or early march I dunno but I already have so much ready my fear is that she could change her mind when she sees the child right after birth. Um.. alot of people disagree with my actions on adopting a baby becasue I have none of my own and I'm single and 20 years old but I feel I am very mature and I love them children to death anyways if theres anyone that can give me some support or if anyone knwos if I'll even be able to adopt the baby based on the circumstances let me know also? does anyone know about maybe her being able to sign a promisary note in the mean while? ? thanks..