Maternal & Child Community
any hints on administering Prevacid to an infant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

DD is 4 months old and we are having a lot of trouble administering her Prevacid. I NEED to get it into her since it is working miracles. It cannot be given with milk or formula, as it renders it completely useless.
We have the solutabs, which dissolve into little beads. They clogged the syringes and the bottle nipple. She spit out the meds from the syringe. She was willing to try to suck it through a bottle (luckily doesn't taste bad) but it kept clogging. It also clogged the medicine pacifier (Safety 1st brand). I thought I'd ask here before I bought anymore completely useless products. Anyone find a method or product that worked??
By the way, she gags if you put the solutab in her mouth. We tried making the tabs mushy and smearing it in her mouth with our fingers but that didn't work either.

Ironically, DH is a pharmacist and we tried everything he advises patients to do. Goes to show that reality is very different than recommendations! You can have it compounded at a compounding pharmacy, but it is unstable and breaks down before the prescription runs out. These tabs are expensive, and we've been having to use 2 each night and only managed to get 1/2 the dose into her. That's $16 in meds the past 3 nights! Not that I mind- I'd pay anything to have these results. But insurance is not going to be happy when we go for refills too early since many don't cover this product as it is.
Hi, My son who is now 2 was on prevacid from about 8 weeks to one year. At first, I had trouble with dissolving it in the syringe. What I always did was take the syringe apart,put the solutab in,put some very luke warm water in a cup and and suck it up and also shaking it to help dissolve the solutab, then I would  cradle my son in the hook of my arm and give him the prevacid(in the syringe) toward the back of his  inner cheek slowly. The prevacid would always get stuck in the pointed tip of the syringe because yes it does turn into little beads(he would always get about half the first try) Then I would suck up just a tad more water and shake and repeat.Usually that did work but when it didn't, I would take apart the syringe and insert a toothpick  into the tip and gently push the rest of the prevacid that was stuck in the tip  and slowly let  it into his mouth.... It always seem to help a little if he was tilted back and Of course making sure he wouldnt choke I always had a bottle with water for him to wash anything left in his mouth.Occasionally, if that didnt work, I remember a few times taking a baby spoon and dissolving the prevacid with a little water and putting it into his mouth,again holding him,leaning slightly back(so he wouldnt spit it out)and always toward his inner cheek.Surpising those two method worked for me. For the first couple weeks we wasted many solutabs,but I think pratice does make perfect. You just have to find something that works for you and your little one. I hope this helps, my son is doing great now, but I do remember the days of acid reflux and giving prevacid everyday. It really did wonders for my son though, prevacid was a miracle for us!! (Sorry if my explanation is a little confusing, its not easy trying to explain exactly what I mean,we need like a instructional video or something on the topic lol)!!
I'm thinking also about totally dissolving it first, and then straining the remainder, before putting it in the bottle or syringe.  Are you saying that once it is dissolved, it beads back up?  Or once dissolved does it stay dissolved?  Even if there is a little gooey stuff left behind in the strainer, it seems like most of it would get into the child that way.
My DD was on Prevacid from 13 weeks until 8 months.  We put it in the syringe, sucked up water to let it disolve, then shot it in her mouth as far back as we could and hoped she didn't spit it back out.  We had to add more water 1 or 2 times after each dose to get it all - or as much of it as possible because it did get stuck in the end of the syringe.  Usually a few extra times of adding water got most of it.  It worked for us that way.  Good luck!
AnnieBrooke- the little balls are what she needs to swallow. they are the time release things which is partly why this med works so well.

dh got 3/4 dose into her using only 1 tab last night. he used a motrin syringe, which i guess is wider than the one the pharmacy gave. we have tons of them saved from my older dd. he did have to fill it 3 times to get it out. she was not a happy camper. hopefully it'll work again tonight. i was actually considering solids as a way to get it into her, but i wanted to wait til 6 months for that. hopefully i can avoid it.
with addy's we just put it in her mouth (half of a tab) and it just disolved.  she didnt fight it at all.  when i tried the syringe most of the meds stayed it, it was a waste.  the other option is to just put it in a little spoon with water and then make her smile and down it goes!  maybe you can find a tic tac you can put in  your mouth so she feels you are having the same yummy treat she is getting.  

id rather have a p/o'd little kid for 10 mins after forcing it down than hours and days of the alternative.  
Cam finally takes the solutab on his own, but we used a large syringe (10 ml) & that made a huge difference compared to the smaller ones.  I would dissolve it on a medicine & then suck it up too.  I aimed for the back of the cheeks too, but my little guy will take anything--- except Tamiflu & the steroids whcih are bad tasting.  Good luck.
We just started prevacid last night. We didn't have any trouble with it clogging up the syringe but we did have to add more water a couple times to get all the stuff out and there was still some left in. We also put the pill in the syringe before adding the water. If that doesn't work you can try dissolving it with a spoon and using the eye dropper from the infant tylenol bottle to suck it up and dispense it that way. I also like pk's idea about just pooring it in from the spoon.  I might try that myself to make sure he gets it all.  

My dr prescribed 7.5 mg once a day. Nathan is 4 months and approx 13.5 lbs. Seems like others are getting 7.5 mg twice a day.  So far I think it is taking the edge off his reflux but not completely working. He is taking the bottle but still arching into a back bend and not taking the whole bottle. I see his dr tomorrow and I'm gonna ask her to up the dose.  What dose did your dr prescribe?  
how is it going tired?  i keep coming on to check on you, why arent you here for me? haha.  hopefully you are just busy with 2 happy little campers ;)
My little one is on Prevacid too.  I just dissolve it in water.  I know it settles very quickly so I shake it and then squirt it immediately.  I have to do it in like 2 or 3 takes but I just shake and squirt SUPER quick.  I didn't read all the responses but that's what I do.  If there is a little bit left in the syringe, I just put a little more water in there and repeat.  And you are right....if your baby needs Prevacid, it does work miracles :)
Perty- still here :) not pumping as frequently, so not online as much... it seems to be helping, although yesterday I had onions by accident and that threw everything off. i did try nursing while she was sleeping again, but she had no clue... i think that ship may have sailed. I may try to nurse when she's awake, but now that i'm pumping only 3 times a day, it's hard to figure out when i'd try. plus, she still eats weird- occasional feeds she'll now take in our arms, but most she still needs either the swaddle or some kind of pressure/restraint. But at least she's eating much better. It had gotten pretty bad up until last week when we started the prevacid. the past 2 nights, he was able to get the full dose into her using a motrin syringe- i think it's a little wider and shorter than the one the pharmacy gave us. She's also getting a little used to it.

Tanker Chic- it actually may take up to 2 weeks for you to see a full change, although i swear we saw one overnight. DD is 4 months and over 16 lbs, and gets the full 15 mg tab once a day. Your dr may ask you to try it a bit longer before upping the dose. We haven't weaned her off of the zantac yet because DH wants to make sure the prevacid is having its full effect first. We'll start in a few days. Was/is he on any other meds or did he go straight to the prevacid?

michele- i agree, this stuff seems to be great! that's why i need to get it into her! sounds like dh does what you are describing. it's his job to give it to her since i'm asleep by medicine time (midnight)
We started on 15 mg Prevacid once daily when Cam was 4 weeks old, they do say it can take a couple weeks for full effect, but you do see a big difference right away.  They noticed he was refluxing at 10 weeks in a barium scan & then added Zantac & Reglan as well.  When Cam gets bad, there have been times that they have us double the Prevacid for a month at a time, 15 mg in morning & at night.  If your little one is still arching soon, I would just ask.  I know we needed Reglan to help with the spasms?, once they added that they still had to add Zantac a couple weeks later.  When we got all 3 dosed right, it was a whole new baby- till he grew some.  They adjusted often on the doses.  I also do the quick shake when using the syringe for Prevacid, keeps it mixed so it doesn't clog the opening.  I have to say I enjoy it better now that he just takes the solutab in his mouth.  Hopefully you'll be getting more sleep soon!
tired/critter,

I talked to the dr today, she said to start giving him 7.5 mg twice a day for a week and then try to back down to just 7.5 mg once a day.  

I've used the 5ML syringe from Walgreens and the 3 ML syringe from the Little Tummy's Gripe Water. Neither one got clogged and last night I figured out a great trick for getting the rest of the medication to come out.  You give medication the usual way and to get the rest out, you put a little bit more water in it and then hold the syringe pointing down. With the syringe pointed down, tap on the syringe until the beads collect down in the tip.  I was able to get all of the medication out this way.  

The last two nights Nathan woke up crying at night. I hope it isn't giving him a stomach ache or causing sleep problems.  He really never cries so when he does I know he is uncomfortable or "really" hungery.  It hadn't even been three hours so dont' think it was a hunger issue.  
Tanker-
do you have him sleeping flat or on an incline? I gave in and let her sleep in a reclined bouncy seat and saw a difference right away. She used to groan, moan, and squirm in her sleep. I felt bad- if you think about it, you would never recommend an adult with reflux lay flat. I wish I had thought of it sooner. The ped smiled knowingly and sympathetically when I asked him if it was OK- he said we are trying everything he tried with his dd. He said it's perfectly safe, just may be a hard habit to break later on. I'm going to worry about that once her reflux dies down.

crritter- sounds like poor Cam has it really bad :(  Do you have any other hints or products that may help the rest of us struggling with this? These poor babies... I had bad heartburn when I was pregnant and i was miserable with it. I can't even imagine how hard it must be for these little ones to be suffering all the time, and not understanding it. It breaks my heart...
I wanted to ask- what prompted doing the study? At what point should any of us consider one? I know it's the best way to diffinitively diagnose reflux, but was told that these days they try meds first, and if the meds help then they know it is reflux. How did the baby respond to the study? Do you think it was worth it?
Cam had a rough first year- he's my challenge!  The tough part was that he had colic, so many things get blamed on the colic.  I see some of the tricks you have used on the Prevacid, all have worked for me too!  Funny you do anything to get the meds down.  I did the quick shake, tapping...

Cam was losing his voice daily, which I thought was from screaming all night, but it was from the acid reflux.  When I went back to work he was just shy of 10 weeks old & went to daycare for 2 days that week.  He got very sick over the weekend & began to choke & gag.  It got very scary and difficult to feed him.  I broke down & called the peds office on a Sunday, but they were about to close & advised waiting till Mon or going to ER.  I waited since it was my second child & I thought I could make it overnight.  Scary night- went in ASAP Mon morning.  He choked in the office, Dr called for back up, which I never knew they had phones in the office.  It was an awful day.  They sent us to the hospital after they drew blood.  They did the barium study there to see if there was something in the way causing breathing problems.  Once Cam drank the bottle of white stuff, they laid him down & we could see in real time what was going on inside his body- way freaky.  After a couple minutes they had me hold him while the Dr. went back to look over something- Cam began to gag & choke & they ran out excited & placed him on the table tipped to the side (so if he threw up he wouldn't gag).  We could see the reflux happening.  It wasn't what they were looking for, but they said it was a pretty bad case to happen that strongly that quickly.  When we were sent back to the peds office after a few hours, they had us come in the back door (the bad door).  They had test results & confirmed that he had RSV, which was off for it being June & no other cases around.  We had to stay to have his pulse ox levels monitored since they were dipping below 90.  We got to go home after about an hour there.  

I don't know why they did the barium test, it was all so fast & crazy, but it did show the acid reflux.  They have not done any other tests on him, they have just added & changed doses up as he grows.  We have tried to back off a couple times, after a day or so it gets really bad & we have to get back on them & they will double the dose for a month then back down to regular doses.  I'm told most babies outgrow it by 1 yr though.  I think Cam likes to keep me on my toes.  I hope you gals have better luck!
Sorry, just read all of your comment after I typed my novel.  They opted for meds first & thought we were fine, it helped the screaming & the projectile vomiting, but we still had a real crabby baby.  It was attributed to the colic as it usually is.  When he got really sick & went in for what turned out to be RSV, our Dr. made to call to do this test.  I was scared about what was going on & thankful for anything that may help.  Cam was fine with it- had to drink the bottle of white stuff & he liked it.  Then they lay on a table, no fussing invloved at all, the nurses, techs, etc. were great with him. The hard part was when he began to gag & choke the Dr. came running out & took Cam from me & laid him down.   Of course you don't want your child lying down at this time!  They got what they needed & were careful to keep him propped to the side & got it done quick so he could be held again.  I had been told that they don't test usually, they just give the meds & see how it goes from there.  I doubt we would have been sent in had Cam not been choking like he was.  I can say that test was much easier on him than the x-rays for pneumonia (he got that about 1-2 months later) & the RSV test, which is so awful.  I would see if the meds work & call it good, can't hurt to try.
Thank you for all of your info and for sharing your experience.

I think I am going to do a poll to see how many babies with reflux were also colicky. My LC told me that they pretty much go hand in hand. As if one wasn't difficult enough to cope with...

I can honestly say that I am still a bit traumatized by our experiences with colic/reflux. And most people don't understand. They say "all babies are fussy" or "yea, my baby had fussy evenings too." I wanted to scream- 'No! You don't understand! This is different!' Those comments make you feel so alone and like people think you're exaggerating. The only people you get sympathetic or constructive advice from is from people who actually had a truly colicky child, and then boy do they look at you sympathetically. It's not normal for a baby to scream for 7 hours straight. Not cry or fuss, but shriek and scream. It's not normal for a baby to be so upset that she actually bursts your husband's eardrum. I felt so helpless, so alone. Some nights I just cried with her. She was in so much pain. I still get upset just thinking about how much pain she must've been in.
i want to cry along with you!  it had to be just horrible to not know why or what to do.  i hope this is the end to the colic phase.  lets hope 2010 is a great new start for your whole family hugs!
pertykitty- we're actually doing much better now- it's just a topic that's very sensitive and fresh in my mind... She still won't feed much in our arms- has to be swaddled in the swing but at least she's eating with thrashing and a struggle. Life is so much easier now :) The remaining issues are lingering effects of colic manifesting itself differently, but it's managable as long as you don't fight her on. If she wants to be swaddled, we swaddle her. The neurological symptoms are fading, and actually started to fade the day after we started the prevacid. She's not startling as easily and tolerates her sister's noise more. I think the colic and reflux were just aggrevating each other. Now that the reflux is more managed, the neurological symptoms can begin to fade. Plus, she's at the age where she should start to outgrow some of the neurological sensitivities, although the peds says they'll probably be there the rest of her life.

We are finding that we can't wean her off of the zantac, so I will call the ped and let him know that we will continue both meds. I know he'll be OK with it, but I want it documented in her charts in case we do need to do a study or something later down the line.
by the way, i know this is OT, but I've been thinking about you and praying for good results on your amnio. Are you finding out the sex? I think it's a boy.
I feel so bad for you.  It's awful, I was traumatized by colic too.  My first baby would begin to fuss about 8- 8:30, the full blown screaming would kick in about 10 then around 5 he would calm down.  He was fussy alot in the day too.  He did not have reflux.  Cam was an easy baby the first 2 weeks, then it all went down the drain at 2 weeks exactly.  I have a friend who has had 4 kids- she was shocked to hear Cam screaming, she thought we should go to the ER.  Lucky gal never had to go thru colic.  Bless her heart, she came over (lived next door) a few times to help.  I don't think you can explain colic to someone who has never been around it.  I really wanted a 3rd baby, but Cam has been so much & I don't think I can handle colic again... we'll see.  They say you forget over time, but I get really anxious when I hear a baby cry.  Hopefully this new year will bring happy calm babies to you gals!