Maternal & Child Community
anyone ever been a foster parent?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

anyone ever been a foster parent?

Hello.  I was just wondering if any of you ladies are or have been a foster parent.  It is an idea that has been in the back of my mind for the last year, but not sure if it is right for my family. If anyone has any experiances that they could share with me it would be gratly appreciated.  I just feel that while we are ttc, or even after we get pg, we could be doing more to enrich another child's life. Hope you all have a wonderful day!
We have gone through the classes and was at the very end when my husband was called overseas back in 2002, he left in 2003 and that meant that we had to start all over. We begin taking the classes again in August. We are thinking that we are going to get out Foster/Adopt license, however wait until a couple of years before Fostering. We would like to Adopt right away though, of course, providing it be God's Will. Not only are you enriching that child's life, but your own as well. There are going to be extremely tough times and you must have ALOT of patience, both yourself and your husband, but you know everything that you give your all to is worth it. So many children are in need of good role models, of love and happiness, of just learning to be a kid! I am a strong advocate for this program. With everything in life, there are going to be things that make you think twice and wonder if it is best....go to the Father and He will press upon your heart all that is right and I have a feeling that taking care of His children is "right." :0) Hope this has helped somewhat and I pray that in whatever you do, God is with you. Bless you and  yours! Love and blessings~Michelle~
I have not been a foster parent but I have a client who's daughter had been ttc for years and had given up.  She did not do tests just decided it was not going to happen for her.  She and her husband decided to be foster parents and were given two little boys i believe 2 and 4.  They then went on to adopt them just a short time afterwards.  (I do not know what there circumstances were.)  Shortly after making the decision and before the adoption was even final they were preggers.  They finished the adoption shortly before the baby was born. (long process for them).  They went from no children to three in under a year and couldn't be happier.
there is a girl i know who has two children both girls, they took the classes and just got their first lil baby boy!! 8 days old.  They are foster to adopt but this one will not be staying.  The mother is a foster child herself and is only 14 but does want the baby.  The woman is just glad to be able to help out and I think its awesome!!!  I could never do it, I would get too attached.  But I guess if you have the right attitude it would be a wonderful expereiene.
We unofficially fostered my 8 year old nephew for several months last year.  He has a learning disability, attachment disorder, and microcephaly (he was born at 24 weeks gestation to a 15 year old mother with substance abuse issues).  It was one of the most difficult things we have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding.  He made huge advances in his schoolwork, social skills and physical development (he hadn't been followed properly by a pediatrician, physiotherapist, speech therapist and occupational therapist as he should have been).  We helped his mother move, get set up, get a job, etc., and he has been back with her for a few months now... all is going well.  If you have a solid relationship with your husband, and are ready and willing to deal with the plethora of issues that some of these kids have, than I highly recommend it.  Good luck and God bless.
Thank you so much for sharing your story with me, what a horrable way to grow up and I am so sorry for the childhood you obviously lost.  Fostering is something I have thought about for some time now, but I'm not really sure how my husband really feels about it.  I think he is concerned that we will get attached and then the child will be taken away, and that some of the children do come with emotional baggage, and what would we do if there was a problem, I know we would not want to be responsable for sending a child off to yet another foster home to be someone elses "problem", but would not want to jepordise (sp?) our family.  When I asked him about it, he said to give him a couple of days to think about it.  If we do decide to foster, it would only be for one child.  I just feel that we have the space and the love to share, so why not?  I would never dream of treating a foster child different from my own, if they are living in my home (for however short a time) they are my child and it is my responsability to teach them the way that love and security should feel.  I will always carry your story in my heart (weather I foster or not) and I vow to never be that kind of parent.  Thank you again for sharing with me and I wish you the best with you and your family.
I worked for child welfare- great foster parents are needed!  if you have the patience and endurance to do it, go for it!  There are so many needy kids out there.  Just be aware that so many of these children come with issues that its not an easy road for anyone involved.
I am not a foster parent, but I am the sister of an adopted child.  After 4 years of trying to conceive, my parents adopted my brother, who is now 37.  Four years after they adopted (8 years of trying) they had my other brother.  Then two years later(10 years after marriage) they had my sister....THEN SEVEN years after that (17 years of marriage) I came along very unexpectedly.  I am now 24, and I wouldn't trade my brother for the world.  His biological parents were young and not married.  My brother has never sought out to find out who they are because he says our parents ARE his real parents.  Even though he has blonde hair and blue eyes in a dark haired family, he fits and brings so much joy and life to everything. He is also my godfather whom I have learned so much from.  If I am unable to have children, I would certainly look into adopting or fostering.  It is life changing for everyone.  Good luck!