Maternal & Child Community
are TB tests safe when pregnant?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

are TB tests safe when pregnant?

hi everyone! i am 6 1/2 wks, and starting a new job next week which requires a TB test (i'm a teacher). my ob said it should be ok to get one (and he's a high-risk OB). when i went to my regular dr to get it yesterday, he said he was unwilling to do it because he wasn't 100% sure it was safe. he saw it as an unneccessary risk. anyone know? the nurse at the dr office said she had refused one when she was pregnant (nurses need to get them every year). they also said my new job can't make me get one or hold it against me. of course, the new job doesn't know i;m pregnant yet, so this may make me tell them sooner than i would've liked to.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I am in the health field too and had to get my annual TB test when I was early on in my pregnancy. They said there was not a risk to doing it.  I would really go with what your high risk OB said rather than your regular doctor - the OB should be the expert on this type of thing. Your regular doc was honest with you and said he wasn't 100% sure it was safe, but he didn't say he thought it was unsafe. Anyway I guess go with your gut feeling so that you have no regrets or worries but this is something I would not worry too much about. good luck!
Blank
My dr. said if I can pass and just get it after the baby is born, then to do that.  There arent any known risks but apparantly hasnt been alot of testing so its not 100%.  I am a school psychologist and just got a waiver until the baby is born.  then Ill get it.
Blank
159063_tn?1247276417
The TB test is only a skin test, it is injected intradermally which means between the layers of skin, it causes a simple skin reaction and does not in anyway affect your body, I feel it is 100 percent safe to get, and especially if your high risk OB?GYN said it was ok.
Blank
it is safe but it can give a false postive when your pregnant( Im a PCA )
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...