Maternal & Child Community
asthma questions...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

asthma questions...

so Cameron sees his pediatrician on thursday for his 18 month immunization...he was put on prednisone back in nov and needed to be put back on it in feb..actually february 20th...He was put on 10ml for 5 days. So he finished the prednisone  on the 24th...after 4 days his asthma relapsed, he was having a hard time breathing..coughing alot(sounding like croupe) so i brought him to the clinic on the 28th. He was put BACK on prednisone but this time for 10 days however day 1 10ml, day 2 9ml and minimizing by 1ml everyday until day 10. He is now on day 7 and he is wheezing alot..it's that gurling and hissing noise that you can hear as he breathes. I feel so bad...the weather isn't helping nor the mold but he's never gotten this bad...what exactly happens if this doesnt work out.. his pumps work but he is needing them every 4 hours or less at times..depending on the breathing...i've been trying to read up on asthma.. he was diagnosed with asthma end of oct 08..so as you can see i am STILL learning and it is not an easy thing to learn.. i dont know if i am worrying for nothing or too much....he is content however when running around he starts coughing alot from shortness of breathe...should he be put on a nebulizer or?
He probably should see a pediatric pulmonolgist.  Is there something in your house or apartment he could be reacting to?  Do you have mold, or does anyone smoke, even outside the house?

Those are two common triggers for reactive airway disease.  
The 'trick' is to come up with a maintenance routine that eliminates the need for oral steroids.  I'm surprised that the doctor gave you a diagnosis of asthma at such a young age.  While the markers can be there, a true asthma diagnosis is made through a PFT (pulmanary function test) which children can't take until they are old enough to consciousnessly monitor or control sustained/forceful/purposeful breathing.

With that aside, why isn't Cameron receiving preventative meds through a nebulizer if the doctor feels it is asthma?  What is the 'pump' that he is taking?

It is a tricky business...we've been dealing with our daughter's condition since about age 2 1/2.  She'll be seven this month and right now I'm listening to her lay in her bed and cough and cough...asthma!

Good luck to little Cameron!
well he is going to be 18 months, everyone else knows his situation so i should have been a little more clear for those who dont. He stopped breathing at 6 weeks and 8 months of age and has been dealign with breathing issues from early on and in sept after he turned 1, his breathign worsened.. however he also had started daycare...the dr put him on salbulatamol(blue pump) (sp?) as well as QVAR(red pump)..he receives his red pump which is his steroid one puff in the am and one at night and his blue pump is to be given every 6 hours however his pediatrician said it is as needed and in some cases he may need it every 2-4 hours depending...also, his pedi is an asthma specialist and very good.

We are moving in 25 days.. there is mold in the apt...hence why we finally could move(due to me getting a job-that i can afford a new place) I just graduated school in dec and began work in january...prior to this i didnt have the means but now i can...

also our temperature is now really damp and wet and very moist so i dont think that's too good for him...
also i wanted to add that he is on singulair 4mg i believe.. it is a small pink pill that i need to disolve in a little bit of juice to give by syringe. He is also on some type of nasal spray because he has environmental allergies, or so the dr said he did...his nose is often congested and he has the red puffy eyes etc..so the nasal spray helps relieve the mucous.

i asked about allergy testing(knowing usually they will not do them before the age of 3-5) ad his pediatrician said that there was no way no how he even wanted to put Cameron through the testing...he said that due to his asthma, he would have to be hospitalized for at least 48 hours or possibly longer if ever we ran into any complications which as his pediatrician said most possibly we would run into serious problems.
You're going to have to get him out of the moldy apartment before you know for sure if he is just reacting to that environment or if it is chronic.  I hope once you move you will find that he gets a lot better.
annie- I hope so too.. 25 days and counting...I cannot wait!!!!!
I guess I'm still confused by 'pump.'  Do you mean an inhaler-type thing?  How is an 18 mo. old breathing the medicine in correctly if it is an inhaler?  That's why they give kids nebulizers, because that is the only way to properly get them to inhale the meds.
2nd baby he has an aero chamber thing that covers his nose and mouth at one end and at the other you put the pump and release the amounts of puffs you need and he takes his deep breaths. At first it WAS difficult to get him to sit still but now he knows it helps him...
http://www.okokchina.com/Files/uppic34/Aerochamber866.jpg

ds has the yellow one...
My DD used a spacer (aero chamber) beginning at age 5.  Until then her dr. had her using a nebulizer.  If I were you I would sure ask your doctor about using the neb.
yeah well i had originally asked when his pediatrician put him on this just because my little cousin had really bad asthma but he was also premature as well...however, he had the neb and different meds and having to sit with him for 30 mins at a time twice per day sometimes longer depending on the dosage...its nothing new to me and my aunt still has the machine.. her son is now 10 years old..im just trying to get all kinds of stuff ready for the dr because something isnt working...and i wonder if it were the mold shouldnt it have gotten worse before now? shouldnt it have been this bad since day 1?
Well, allergies can develop at any time in one's life.  If it is an allergy to the mold Cameron could've recently developed it I guess.  My DD's is triggered by seasonal allergies and late winter/early spring are the worse times for her.  She takes Nasonex daily for allergies.  It took a lot of trial and error to find the correct meds and dosages for her preventative meds.  It is a lot better than last year (she missed 13 days of school and had pneumonia three times) but she still experiences occassional flares, although no pneumonia this season.  When she was younger her prevenative med was pulmacort while her rescue med as albuterol.  Now she puffs and Advair inhaler (not disc) for prevention and xopenex for rescue.  But again, she has tried many along the way.

His ped may be an asthma specialist, but is he a pulmanologist?  If not, Cameron really should get referred to one.  Just keep asking questions and keep pushing.  When we moved 18 months ago Emily's ped reminded her I had to keep 'pushing' for her and to never let any dr. tell me this was normal for her and we would just have to deal with it.  I don't know if that makes any sense, but I took that advice to heart and things are finally beginning to settle down for her.

Good luck!

that is good to hear.. i am just hearing alot of thing...(a few girls at my work have severe allergies and asthma/and/or their kids have it really bad...etc) they are really beginning to worry me as to his dr he needs his blue pump alot and well, like a staff pointed out...what happens if it just wont work anymore because his body is just immune to the stuff now? type of thing because his blue pump will work but it will help with his breathing for 30 mins to an hour after and then he's having difficulty again.. coughing so much that he has a difficulty catching his breathe etc etc...2 more days until we see his dr. cameron was wheezing alot tonight..it sounds like some gurgle/snoring noise coming from his lungs...poor little guy..and our temperature right now is just so horrible..its moist, hot cold cant make up its mind...
My daughter's father had very bad allergies and they are pretty sure my daughter will too but they cannot test her until after the age of two.  Meanwhile Pulminary did diagnose her with Asthma - not as bad as Cameron's but she is on Flovent daily and Albuteral as needed.  They are now starting to decrease her intake hoping she will outgrow it but when she gets sick it flares up really bad.

I really think that you need to get cameron to a pulminary doctor and not just his pediatrician - the longer he is on his meds the longer he may need them - they should be monitored every 4-6 months.  Cameron sounds like he has those darn allergies.  I think my dd will too.  It stinks!
camerons daddy has reaqlly bad allergies and i believe he does as well..his ped said the same.. his ped also checks up on him every month for his asthma and usually things go fine..unless i bring him in because its flared back up and for some odd reason I CANNOT get it under control and it's really stressful.. i want to cry..the last thing as a mom is to cause harm to my baby and i cant even imagine how he feels...i just want to cry for him...