Maternal & Child Community
babies and kaopectate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

babies and kaopectate

Colten has had diarrhea for the past 4 days....  he is fine otherwise-  it isn't making him cranky or anything and he is staying well hydrated, but he LOVES his formula bottles and won't not take a formula bottle...  I called the doctors and the nurse said that they really won't do anything about it, and to take him off dairy and give him starches,  which is what we are trying to do, and I asked about giving him kaopectate, because my MIL told me she use to give my DH that,  but the nurse said they don't suggest that anymore-  does anyone know why?  Or have any suggestions...  other then wait it out-  his little hinney is getting SO red!  
I hope he gets over it soon.    When my kids were little they didn't have us use anything.  They said the diarhea (diarrhea) was the bodies way of getting rid of the bad.  If you used kaopectate, imodium (immodium), pepto bismol,etc  it delayed recovery.   Don't know if that is true or not.    You really need to take his formula away for the day.  Use pediatlyte.  There are so many flavors now that you should be able to find one he likes.   Mine always took the plain - no flavor.    
I would also start using desitin ointment (not creamy) every diaper change until the diarhea (diarrhea) is gone.  
Baby Center said that an ear infection could cause diarrhea,  so I made an appointment to have him seen this afternoon just incase that is the reason...  

on another rant...  i hate living so far from my own family---  we live here in texas to be near DH's family- who he rarely talks to-  my MIL is retired and keeps Colten,  which is nice-  really-  I am grateful most of the time-  but sometimes I get so sick of them!!!!  My SIL lives with my MIL with her two teenage kids-  MIL does EVERYTHING for them-  drives them everywhere, cooks cleans, etc-  I need to get stuff done here at work today, and I guess since I am not a teacher-  MIL- retired teacher; DH- teacher, SIL- teacher-  my job isn't as important to them!!!  I called to ask if MIL could take colten to the Dr at3:30-  she said she need to pick up my niece then-  my niece is 15 and the BUS drives right by the school and their house-  pretty sure our tax dollars pay for this service-  would it KILL HER TO TAKE THE BUS ONCE! so,  I offer to pick my niece up,  the school isn't far from work and it won't take nearly as long as taking colten to the dr...  but NO...  she couldn't do this for me-  so when I said I was going to cancel the apt she guilt tripped me....  UGH----  I am so angry right now I could scream!

sorry--  needed to get that off my chest!
Is he running a fever?  My son had chronic ear infections and I've never heard they could cause diarhea (diarrhea) (not saying I don't believe you-just never heard of it)
I would reschedule the appt.   You said he's not acting sick otherwise.   Good luck!
No fever this week-  last week he had a fever for about 5 days or so and a cold-  that went away-  I did have his ears checked then-  but last time he had an ear infection he didn't have it one day and 2 days later my MIL insisted on taking him back to the doc and he had one all of a sudden...  I HATE going to the doctors, and now he is proabably just going to get more sick!  But I don't want him to have an infection and not do anything about it because then my MIL will just say I told you so-  that is what happened last time...  

in the fall Colten can go into day care at the same school my DD goes to-  I will be SO HAPPY to be paying $1200 a month for day care, just so I don't have to see my inlaws anymore...  I would get my right arm to be able to enroll him there today!  

they are good people-  I just see them WAY too much,  and right now I am feeling spiteful and hateful and all I can think is that they won't like it too much when they don't get to see the kids often next year and it will serve them right for always making me feel guilty for asking for help!  

I'll get over it---  but not today...  

Thanks for your advise!
Don't get rid of your arm, especially if you are right handed. It will come in handy for you.

I agree with have 2 kids, I've never heard of an ear infection causing diarrhea. Take away the formula and keep him strictly on the pedialyte.
I am calmed down-  the doc did say he does see a link between ear infections and diarrhea, from time to time, but hasn't been able to figure out why...  but Colten didn't have one-  he said just some virus, and should run its course in a few more days...  

I have now calmed down about my in-laws,  but still slightly annoyed...  decided to keep my arm...  :)
Kids can get diarrhea from just about anything.

I would be hesitant to use the Kaopectate, too, unless specifically advised by your doctor.  A simple bout of diarrhea should get better if he is taken off milk products for a day or so.

If it last longer than that, or is severe to the point he's dehydrating, listless, or other concerning signs, you should insist that he be seen.
when dd had a stomach bug last year, the diarrea (diarrhea) persisted even though the rest of her symptoms were gone. the ped said that their immature systems take longer to recover, and advised us to give her either lactose-free or soy formula for a week to give it a break. Sure enough as soon as we switched to the lactose-free formula, her diarrea (diarrhea) subsided. she had no problems going back on regular formula several days later.
Thanks guys-  I think I might pick up some lactose free formula-  good suggestion-  I gave him only gaterade last night before bed,  but he wouldn't take it at 5am this morning-  so I caved and gave him some watered down formula...  We ended up in the ER with Taylor when she was this age because she had rotovirus, and couldn't keep any fluids down,  so this is nothing compaired to that!  At least he is staying hydrated...