Maternal & Child Community
baby born at 31wks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

baby born at 31wks

A friend had her baby earley this morning.. she was onley 31wks baby was breathing on it own when born..we were wondring if anyone has had or know a baby born this earley that was ok...thank u
I have a co-worker that had hers at 32 weeks, he stayed in the hospital for 1 month and made it home for the holidays.  He is string and growing well.  I hope everything is okay for her little one.
My husband was born at 29 weeks - 34 years ago!  He was in the NICU for over 3 months and was given a 50/50 chance....so he is a miracle baby.  Good luck - lots has changed so I would say if she is healthy (as healthy as you can be at 31 wks) she should have a good chance.
My aunt is a nurse practitioner at a NICU and had a baby born at 20 wks (less than a pound) the baby had a lot of healty probs in the beginning and had to stay in the NICU for a long time, but was eventually able to go home. If a baby born at 20 wks can make it...31, I would think, would do pretty good. The fact that the baby was breathing on it's own is a great sign, I would think.
I was just going to post a similar question-hope you don't mind if I ask it now instead of opening a new thread...What is considered a preemie? I guess I know that any baby born before it is full term is a preterm baby, but at what point is it not a scary period? I have know a few women who had their babies at 37/38 weeks, and they were healthy and an average weight...would these babies be considered preemies or just born 2-3 weeks early? I guess what I am asking is when is a baby out of they dander zone if born before full term?? Hope that makes some sense...

I hope your friends baby is ok too! Good luck to them!
Thank u for ur comments..this is there 5 baby the other 4 were still born. so we are all praying everything turns out ok for them..i realey dont know if thay could take another loss
I guess I should rephrase that.......her baby knows how to suck, swallow and breath. Not just all at once when he's being fed a bottle.
My friend Cheyenne's baby was born at 31 weeks also! He weighed 3lbs, 15 oz. He is doing amazing!! He is a little over a month old now and is due to come home anytime. He's having a little trouble figuring out how to suck, swallow, and breathe but he is slowly getting the hang of it! He's also up to around 5 lbs. 10oz already!!! :)  Each baby is very different, as I'm sure you know, but her little guy is A-OK! :)

I also have a 7 year old cousin who was born at 28 weeks! She was 2 lbs, 3 oz!! She was in NICU for a little over a month, but is completely fine now! She has asthma and has needed treatment for that since infancy, but it runs in our family anyhow. So most likely she'd have ended up asthmatic even if she was born at term. :)
A co-worker of mine had twins at 29 weeks. Jack was in the NICU for about 2 months and his sister was in for about 2-1/2 months. They are a healthy 18 months now!

lovethebops: I believe a preemie is any baby born before 37 weeks.  
Thanks, makes sense! :)
Hi, hope you are doing well. Any baby born before 36 weeks is considered preterm.

I suspect that maybe the dates could have been off and the baby could be closer to 35 weeks???Really can't tell over the internet, obviously. If he/she is breathing on it's own, that is a huge step. If the suckle instinct is there, then the prognosis should be very good unless infection, pneumonia,etc happens.
Anything less than 37 weeks in considered preterm.  Infants born early have amazingly better chances for intact and healthy survival now than they did just a few years ago.  

I'm doubting the story of the 20 weeker that survived.  A few will survive at 24 weeks, even fewer at 23--in fact, very, very  few will survive then.  And the chances they will survive neurologically intact is very, very, very slim.  I'm sure somewhere, somehow there has been that "miracle" baby that made it earlier, but when this happens, it makes world news, thats how rare it is.  

A 31 weeker have a very good chance for intact survival.  There may some problems, but if all goes well, things should ultimately turn out fine.  
DD was born at 37 weeks weighing 5.7 lbs.  They wanted to take her to NICU but after she passed all of their tests, she was sent to regular nursery.  
Ooooooops!!!! I just reread my comment. I meant to say at 36 weeks or earlier, then I was thinking before 37 and it just hasn't been my day, lol! I can't talk right today either(have a headache and probably heading towards a migraine, yuck!) Anyhow, I even screwed up the posting a comment before I typed it, lol. I think it's time to quit for today.
Not my day, either.  My neck is still hurting and I'm on Valium (fell at work).
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you hit pretty hard. I hope you get relief real soon!
My cousin had her twins at just over 30 weeks and they were born 2.5 and 3.0 pounds and are doing just fine now.  They stayed in the NICU until around their original birth date.  One had surgery to fix a hernia(sp?) which is very common in premies.  They are now healthy 4 year only boys.  Also a family friend had a baby around 24-25 weeks and was so small you they could fit her husbands wedding band around her foot, but she pulled though.  She had to have heart surgery to fix something that hadn't grown right.  The only problem even seen with her was she didn't crawl like a normal baby does and a few vision problems, and she is now 5 or 6.  So it sounds like she has a great chance of her baby being just perfect.  keep us posted
As RubyOlivia stated, my baby was born at 31 weeks. He was going to come home last monday, after a month in the NICU but he completely turned around and now he will not eat, and when he tries to take a bottle, he starts to choke and his oxygen level drops low enough that he starts to turn blue...Preemie babies can be perfectly fine one minute and having all sorts of problems the next. However, overall, Ashtyn is doing really good for being 9 weeks early!!!!
Thanks all.. as of right now baby is doning fine...is haveing some sucking prob but is learning slowley
do the terms "preemie" and "preterm" mean the same thing? silly question, i know. i was just wondering cause i've heard both terms used.
Yes, they are the same thing. :)
I just wanted to say that in the UK, the youngest ever baby to survive was a little girl born at 21 weeks and is now doing very well.  She must be at least 6 months old now.
A friend of mine had her baby at 24 weeks. She weighed 1 pound 6 ounces. They were in the hospital a little over 3 months and came home on May 31st. The baby is now up to 6 pounds 2 ounches and is doing great. She is still quite small but the doctors think that by the time she is a year that she will be normal size.
There was a baby in Florida that was born at 21wks gestation (23 weeks from LMP) I think and that is considered the youngest recorded surviving birth so far.  I might be incorrect.
Its so rare it makes the news when it happens.